Blood feathers?

Lauraj

Morning all, unsure if this is posted in the right section.

Just wanted some advice on blood feathers, i haven't experienced blood feathers with either bird yet but it is the one thing that really worries me (other than bo plucking) and i always find myself checking them when they stretch their wing, i am over cautious.

Just wondering on how anybody deals with these feathers, i have a friend in America who says she just pulls the bleeding feather and leaves the bird to recover but i feel i would be the kind to rush to a vet!

Just wanted some advice before this happens, if it happens at all, to prevent me from going into panic mode and traumatising the poor birds!

Thank you in advance!

Parrot797

As above,but it is rare to see this in captive birds.I have only done this with 1 bird but have kept thousands.

Lauraj

Thank you!

I heard it was more common in captive birds due to them banging wings etc on cages but this has reassured me, i appreciate your comment!

Michael Reynolds

I have only had the problem twice but I always have stop bleed in my medical kit, you can get it from most pet food suppliers or stores and its good to stop any bleeding. it can be used with other animals as well

plumsmum

I had the scare of my life last year as my Lou pulls he feathers and this includes blood feathers. Woke up one morning to a bloody stain in her night cage, it had bled a lot but fortunately she must have had the forsight to pull the rest and eat it as there was no trace. She did it again some months later but not so bad. She has done this before with her previous owners. I just pray!

Top Bottom