Blaise suddenly not ok with my family

niamhandori

So i’ve been doing training with blaise to get her comfortable with my family. she’s done amazing with it and was stepping with and very comfortable with my mum. which is very important because tomorrow i’m going away for 2.5 days. So my mum needs to be able to put the birds in and out because blaise and isla can’t be out together.
Today i went shopping and i was gone a couple hours so i texted my mum asking to swap the birds out. i’ve showed my mum how to get blaise to step up and blaise has done it well. today blaise bit her. blaise has never bitten anyone but today she did. it wasn’t too bad but she did draw blood. blaise was stressed of course so my mum left leaving just blaise and hiro out.
When i got back we both went up so i could see what my mum did to see if i was wrong at all. it wasn’t. i showed my mum again how to get blaise to step up. the second my mum got anywhere near blaise she flew away. every time. i tried a few different ways. her favourite treats. using target training. she stepped up every time for me but flew away if my mum got close. i then tried to see if blaise would out my mums hand. she did a couple times to get a treat then moved away fast.
I also tried to see what blaise would do with my dad because obviously i didn’t see the way my mum tried to get her to step up the first time though i have told her what to do and what not to do. blaise didn’t let him near her at all. which isn’t normal. we aren’t even in my bedroom now which is where she normally is. i brought her down after me and my mums failed attempts to get her to step up to my mum. blaise is very alert if someone comes into the room. only the other day i brought her downstairs with my whole family and grandparents and she was brilliant! even last night she was able to be in the same room with them with no problem.
Blaise has become very bonded to me. she likes to sit on me and be with me a lot. she’s also been trying to regurgitate a lot more which i’m not allowing of course. i’m not sure if she can sense i’m going anyway for a little bit or something. the problem is i leave tomorrow! up until today she’s been fine with everyone. now she can’t be relaxed in the same room as them. Not sure what else i could try? any idea what’s caused this to happen today? my worry is if my mum can’t get her safely in and out her cage then blaise will have to stay in the cage for the time i’m gone which doesn’t sound nice at all. really want to avoid that at all costs. any ideas of what else i can try

I wouldn't advise leaving any birds out in your room unsupervised. For a couple of days it won't hurt them being in their cages where it is safer for them.

As for the biting and flying away, Roz maybe able to advise more on this one.
But try going back to basics a bit and just have your parents or family in the same room, ignoring them at first so no eye contact etc. Then start talking to blaise and moving closer, stop the moment you can see they are getting unhappy with it. Offering treats, through the bars at first, then when they get a bit comfortable you can try outside the cage.

Would anything have spooked blaise in the room or did your parents do something different with their clothes or hair etc?

I wouldn't advise leaving any birds out in your room unsupervised. For a couple of days it won't hurt them being in their cages where it is safer for them.

As for the biting and flying away, Roz maybe able to advise more on this one.
But try going back to basics a bit and just have your parents or family in the same room, ignoring them at first so no eye contact etc. Then start talking to blaise and moving closer, stop the moment you can see they are getting unhappy with it. Offering treats, through the bars at first, then when they get a bit comfortable you can try outside the cage.

Would anything have spooked blaise in the room or did your parents do something different with their clothes or hair etc?
ok! my room is bird proofed i used to have free ranged rabbits so all wires and things like that are always gone.

yeah that’s what i’m going to try i think. i’ve brought her downstairs and my mum was able to sit semi close before blaise flew away but blaise was stressed by it. she does take treats from the sometimes. before she’d always do it.

not that i’m aware of. no one had a thing different on that’s not normal

ok! my room is bird proofed i used to have free ranged rabbits so all wires and things like that are always gone.

yeah that’s what i’m going to try i think. i’ve brought her downstairs and my mum was able to sit semi close before blaise flew away but blaise was stressed by it. she does take treats from the sometimes. before she’d always do it.

not that i’m aware of. no one had a thing different on that’s not normal

Even if you make it as bird safe as possible you still have uncaged birds with caged birds. I have known birds squeeze down into tiny gaps behind or between cages or cupboards and get stuck, chew holes in curtains and blinds - in one case their bird got wrapped up in the threads and it didn't end well for the bird. Someone needs to open the door to get into your room and I've known birds killed by the door being opened onto them. I've known wild birds to fly at windows or sit on windowsills which again could spook your birds and if not caged and they bolt across the room and hit the wall it can cause serious injury.
Not to mention the birds simply landing on each others cages. Birds can be very protective of their cages and will attack others who land on them. Your birds could easily loose a leg or in worse cases part of their beaks.
Why even take that risk? If you have bought the correct sized cages for your birds then its not going to hurt them if they have to stay in them for a couple of days. Its far safer then being out unsupervised. And far less stressful if your bird is going to be handled by someone who they actively avoid.

ok will do! looking into figuring out a good amount of hours for them too be out while i’m there without i getting too overwhelming for me. i used to feel like i couldn’t leave the room to sit with the family. so just trying to make a new plan

ok will do! looking into figuring out a good amount of hours for them too be out while i’m there without i getting too overwhelming for me. i used to feel like i couldn’t leave the room to sit with the family. so just trying to make a new plan
Dont really think you need a plan just calm down. You clearly love them and care but maybe gone abit over board as a new owner? Bare in mind your life will change as does all of ours sometimes if you make then overly needy and so reliant on you it aint going to work out in the long run. Go an sit with family go out shopping mix with friends and leave them in the cage whilst you do it. Most people go to work etc and the parrots are in the cage until there return an come out for a few hours a day. Think youve put pressure on yourself you dont need to. Relax they will be fine if the cage is big enough they have toys, food and water your good to go.

Dont really think you need a plan just calm down. You clearly love them and care but maybe gone abit over board as a new owner? Bare in mind your life will change as does all of ours sometimes if you make then overly needy and so reliant on you it aint going to work out in the long run. Go an sit with family go out shopping mix with friends and leave them in the cage whilst you do it. Most people go to work etc and the parrots are in the cage until there return an come out for a few hours a day. Think youve put pressure on yourself you dont need to. Relax they will be fine if the cage is big enough they have toys, food and water your good to go.
it’s not that as much it’s more because i need routine because of my autism. i just like having an idea of how my day will go with birds and other stuff. i probably stress myself out more by doing that but it’s how i am i guess. thank you i really appreciate it. i’m just trying to do what i can for them. they’ve honestly done so so much for me and i want to be able to give them the best since they’ve helped me out so much. they all have big cages so they will be completely fine in those they all like their cages too. hiro not so much but i’m working on it 😂

it’s not that as much it’s more because i need routine because of my autism. i just like having an idea of how my day will go with birds and other stuff. i probably stress myself out more by doing that but it’s how i am i guess. thank you i really appreciate it. i’m just trying to do what i can for them. they’ve honestly done so so much for me and i want to be able to give them the best since they’ve helped me out so much. they all have big cages so they will be completely fine in those they all like their cages too. hiro not so much but i’m working on it 😂
I no abit about autism however no expert what about settimg yourself up a visual routine for your day. With different bits your going to daily like visting family go shopping days to clean the birds times the birds will come out and go back. I do this for my daughter and she copes much better knowing its all there an laid out whats happening and when.

I no abit about autism however no expert what about settimg yourself up a visual routine for your day. With different bits your going to daily like visting family go shopping days to clean the birds times the birds will come out and go back. I do this for my daughter and she copes much better knowing its all there an laid out whats happening and when.
yeah that might be good. i think once i do it for a week it will be fine and i won’t need to be as rigid with it. i’ve been trying to get out the house more because i realised i never really leave the house that much since i love spending time with the birds and i’ve forgotten some of my favourite things i did before. even little trips like shopping i’ve tried to come on more. that’s kinda how i do it normally i think the idea of changing it just takes me some time to get over and work through. it was the same when blaise wasn’t allowed out with the others it took me a little time to adjust but after that i’ve not had a problem. it’s the idea seems overwhelming at first but once i’ve processed it it’s never as bad as my head likes to make me think it is! hopefully within the week it will all be sorted and i’ll be feeling more normal again 😂 thank you for the help!

Back
Top Bottom