1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

Discussion in 'Food And Diet' started by Raphaecat, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Raphaecat

Raphaecat Regular Member Registered

ive been given these for agrey but reading on the internet it look like these aren’t suitable. Someone also mentioned that sunflowers seeds are also very fattening?

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

you are correct they are not very nutritious but ok to give the wild birds out side, the problem with feeding your bird sunflowers is the fat contents can actually lead to your bird becoming over weight and other health issues if this forms part of its main diet. how is your grey settling now?

3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yes they do have a high fat content.
    What diet are you feeding your Grey?

4. Roz

Roz Regular Member

The black sunflower seeds have the highest fat content of all. They should only be fed to wild birds who may need the fat in a cold winter. The striped or white sunflower seeds do have some nutritional value and less overall fat, but they have an awful lot of omega 6 fatty acids which can eventually lead to inflamation. So moderation is the key - you might want to use the white or striped for training purposes if your bird particularly likes them. If not, there are other more nutritious treats to feed, like pieces of walnut, almond, cashew etc. (not peanuts).

plumsmum, dianaT and TomsMum like this.
  5. Raphaecat

Raphaecat Regular Member Registered

We don’t give many sunflower seeds.we were gonna just as treats. We’re feeding Tidymix parrot seed. He’s taking nibbles from means chatters away to me when my son is there but not when I’m on my own. I know he listens to me, as I’m the one who talks to him the most.

6. Oli Fry

Oli Fry Regular Member Registered

Hi. Soaked (24 hours) and sprouted (Roz has lots of expertise here) white and striped sunflower seeds are another matter of course - they are much less fatty and contain more vitamins, enzymes etc. They are a great 'comfort food' for young greys too.

Mine eat soaked and sprouted sunflower, hemp, millet sprays and safflower in place of dry seeds. Obviously they get pellets, fruits, veg, nuts, greens etc too. I have come to the view that dry seed-based mixes are a bit of a waste of time compared to soaked or fresh foods.

Roz likes this.
  7. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

During the spring and summer I grow trays of spring veggies and just drop the trays into the aviary and let them get on with it. Usually gone in 48 hours if not totally trashed :) but enjoyed which is what matters.
    For the house flock I buy those salad toppers from Morrisons of pre-sprouted seeds as am hopeless at sprouting stuff in jars or on the window ledge... which is admittedly filled with orchids!
    I feed a good quality seed alongside fruit and veggies. Mine will eat some sprouted stuff but its hit and miss with the house flock as they aren't totally into a lot of stuff.
    Of the house flock only two have been with me since being young they will pile in and try anything but the others came when a lot older so they are harder to convince of certain things

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe and Roz like this.
  8. DizzyBlue

How are you sprouting your stuff? Need tips here :)

9. DizzyBlue

https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/how-to-sprout-step-by-step-guide.30053/
    This is Roz's awesome post on how to sprout …..
    I definitely do not have green fingers I always seem to get something totally wrong and either end up with them just going soggy and not sprouting or end up with fur growing which ends up in the bin!
    Not sure it its too much water or too little or if I should be rinsing in cider vinegar or if its the temperature I get wrong?!
    If I can save money and sprout my own then that's what I want to do but it just ain't happening over here :(

10. Oli Fry

Right - I'm gonna steal your spring veggies idea! In terms of sprouting, I just keep the soaked seeds in a sieve and rinse them off with cold water periodically to keep them fresh. If it's hot I cover them with a damp piece of cloth or kitchen towel. Easy!

11. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Come on, course your can, if I can you can! Just take what is in the mix of salad toppers ie lentils, mung and chick peas
    and follow Roz's instructions, she sorted me. The jar method is good. At a guess not enough rinsing and draining. I use a small pie dish to fit the jar in at an angle to avoid it sitting in a puddle. You can use a drop of GSE/ACV in the soaking water (warm or cold) especially if turning mouldy is a problem, and I always leave 12 hours to soak. Place on a bright windown sill, not bright sun but does get a little.

12. Oli Fry

Yes the GSE is good stuff - just a drop in the soaking water

13. DizzyBlue

I bough one of those sprouting jars and everything turned furry :( tried putting things on a damp kitchen tissue and they just went soggy and rotted
    When I test my seed mix I can get it to grow but I scatter it on topsoil base to get it to grow in a tray

14. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

Great stuff - I will start doing this - for some reason I thoght they had to be kept in a dark place like an airingcupboard!

15. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

the kitchen or bathroom window I find gives the best results.

16. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

Thank you, I will give this a go.

17. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

I have a Vogel Biosnacky jar which has a built in plastic stand to hold the jar at the correct angle, rinse well with clean water 3 times a day. I leave mine on the kitchen worktop....the window sill would be too hot.