1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Headed Caique Loosing Balance

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by vwbug2010, Jun 15, 2019.

1. vwbug2010

vwbug2010 Regular Member

Taken him to the vets had bloods all is normal, anyone any ideas? He is eating and drinking ok. Can sit on his perch ok but struggling to sit on one leg and eat? Could it be a sprained or broken leg?

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Did he have legs looked at? Can he walk and climb okay? Are the soles of his feet sore? What type of perches does he have? Maybe a flat perch would help.

3. vwbug2010

vwbug2010 Regular Member

They looked at his legs said they looked ok - they could do an x-ray but said another 350 pounds... hence my question about vets

4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

it may be a problrm with the ear, did they check them?

5. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

How old is the bird and what is his diet? Is he defo a male?

Do the legs look swollen at all? Does he have a leg ring on? Can he grip your fingers with the same level of strength in both feet?Do you have any pictures?
    What perches are you using?
    Are there any sores or puffiness on the feet particularly the bottom of the feet? Does he show any signs of pain or discomfort when you touch the feet and legs?

Tbh it could be lots of things and by answering some of those questions we may be able to rule things out.

6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

7. vwbug2010

vwbug2010 Regular Member

Good idea regarding the ear. Legs look ok, he does have a leg ring on but lots of space. He is male, can grip ok and climb seems a little less strength in the right foot. Does not seem in any pain or discomfort. Happy eating and drinking etc. Happy to send pictures

8. Michael Reynolds

We love photos

9. vwbug2010

vwbug2010 Regular Member

Here is one video of him walking

10. vwbug2010

vwbug2010 Regular Member

11. vwbug2010

vwbug2010 Regular Member

12. vwbug2010

vwbug2010 Regular Member

I think its to do with his right leg or foot I`ll post another video of him walking

13. vwbug2010

vwbug2010 Regular Member

14. vwbug2010

vwbug2010 Regular Member

Sorry I mean this video

15. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

To me he does look like he walks gingerly on it, I wonder if @Setanta can offer advice.

16. Setanta

Setanta Regular Member

He's a little unsure starting out. But his walk looks fine to me

17. Setanta

Setanta Regular Member

You can't judge a giraffe by how well it swims.

Tbis is a tree climbing species. Can he climb up your curtains?

TomsMum likes this.
  18. Setanta

Setanta Regular Member

I have a seven month old baby who plays upside down 90% of the time. Does your baby do that?. That would indicate ability to balance properly?

TomsMum likes this.
  19. vwbug2010

vwbug2010 Regular Member

He does not play upside down - but climbs quite a bit. I think I will monitor over the next week or so

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  20. Michael Reynolds

The difficulty with the ciaque is it can develop differant walks the one i had living with me walked like charlie Chaplin quite often, if it was a balance problem your bird can fall off its perch, it may of had a slight discomfort but i do not think looking at the video it is any thing to worry about