Black Headed Caique Loosing Balance

vwbug2010

Taken him to the vets had bloods all is normal, anyone any ideas? He is eating and drinking ok. Can sit on his perch ok but struggling to sit on one leg and eat? Could it be a sprained or broken leg?

dianaT

Staff member
Did he have legs looked at? Can he walk and climb okay? Are the soles of his feet sore? What type of perches does he have? Maybe a flat perch would help.

vwbug2010

They looked at his legs said they looked ok - they could do an x-ray but said another 350 pounds... hence my question about vets

CaptainHowdy

How old is the bird and what is his diet? Is he defo a male?

Do the legs look swollen at all? Does he have a leg ring on? Can he grip your fingers with the same level of strength in both feet?Do you have any pictures?
What perches are you using?
Are there any sores or puffiness on the feet particularly the bottom of the feet? Does he show any signs of pain or discomfort when you touch the feet and legs?

Tbh it could be lots of things and by answering some of those questions we may be able to rule things out.

vwbug2010

Good idea regarding the ear. Legs look ok, he does have a leg ring on but lots of space. He is male, can grip ok and climb seems a little less strength in the right foot. Does not seem in any pain or discomfort. Happy eating and drinking etc. Happy to send pictures

Setanta

You can't judge a giraffe by how well it swims.

Tbis is a tree climbing species. Can he climb up your curtains?

Setanta

I have a seven month old baby who plays upside down 90% of the time. Does your baby do that?. That would indicate ability to balance properly?

Michael Reynolds

The difficulty with the ciaque is it can develop differant walks the one i had living with me walked like charlie Chaplin quite often, if it was a balance problem your bird can fall off its perch, it may of had a slight discomfort but i do not think looking at the video it is any thing to worry about

Top Bottom