1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biting, Lunging

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Raphaecat, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Raphaecat

Raphaecat Regular Member Registered

jasperwill take treats from me but whenever I try to touch him he lunges for me. He doesn’t talk to me, only the men in the house, he’s obviously into the male members of the family. I’m in a wheelchair so I can t get him out of his cage when I’m on my own, maybe that in itself is a problem. Help!

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aww sorry to hear this, some parrots do choose their human . Lets see if others can offer advice @JessCheekyMia @Roz

Roz and JessCheekyMia like this.
  3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Jasper is still young and like many grey's of that age they use there beak a little hard, when you say lunges for you is he going out of his way to bite or is it when you go to him? I think it may not be a case of him preferring men as he is far to young to be a gender thing, the thing I can think off that may be the cause is that some how he has become frightened of you, well I see Diana has tagged Roz whom will give you a few ideas to win Jasper back if I am correct Jasper is only about 4 months old now. try not to approach him apart from giving food and treats let him come to you if you can

Roz, dianaT and JessCheekyMia like this.
  4. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

Hi can I ask what parrot Jasper is? Also how long have you had Jasper? Was he a rehome or rescue or did you get him as a baby?
    I am in a wheelchair too so I know how you feeling. I hate the fact that I can't get my parrots out when I want. It can be frustrating. It can also be frustrating and confusing for your parrot too. As he was likely to be brought up around humans that can walk. Jasper doesn't know why you can't get him out whilst other family members can. Are you the only female in your family you live with?
    Parrots are clever little souls and when I first got a parrot I felt I was going to be the one to be punished as I couldn't get them out when they were calling for me and I thought they might resent me for not getting to them. It took most of my parrots months before they got use to the fact I can't come to them. So I just sat in the room on my own chatting to them. Next they then wanted to come closer and it grew from there. I have learnt one important thing with parrots and that is patients.
    You do need some one on one time with Jasper completely on your own if possible. Your family member can go in a different room so you still have someone there if you need them as that is important for you. Try and get Jasper's favorite family members to not talk loud so Jasper can't hear them in the other room as this will distract your one on one time.
    Have his favourite foods prepared for rewards or it can even be a favourite toy.
    Let Jasper have his alone time with you and build it up from there.
    Don't go in straight away with a head scratch. Take things very slowly and keep talking to him. Unfortunately like me you don't have much choice just sitting their and waiting for your parrot to interact with you. But it can be a very positive thing as well because your not chasing and pushing him to come to you. He will do it himself and that is very rewarding.
    @Roz can help further with training. She os brilliant.
    I hope I helped a bit. Remember keep in their and don't give up x

Kendra, Roz, dianaT and 2 others like this.
  5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Jess, Jasper is a Grey Parrot 3-4 months old

JessCheekyMia likes this.
  6. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

So he will adjust well with a bit of patients. He is a good age to start training.

Here is a photo of my Gizzie. He came to me at 4 years old. Never let out of his cage and had a rotten diet too. He was scared of all humans. After a year of patients this is him now
    20181010_190042.jpg
    I hope this offers a bit of hope x

7. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Good advice already.

That's great Jasper will take treats from you!! Make sure you, and only YOU are the provider of the yummy treats. He may not talk to you, but I bet he listens to what you have to tell him. :)

The simple answer is not to try to touch him. Every time you try to touch him and he lunges, you are only teaching him to lunge more. There is another problem with this - he will be giving you obvious (to him!) body language to say "no, I don't want to be touched" before he lunges. This might be eyes widening, feathers slicking down or puffing up, leaning away etc. If you ignore this body language and go to touch him anyway, he won't bother giving you body language in the future. What is the point if it is ignored? This makes for a dangerously unpredictable bird. So heed that body language at all times.

Just because the male members of your family can touch him, doesn't mean to say you can too. You need to build your own special relationship with him. You and you only be the provider of the treats. Just sit by him - as close as you can with him remaining relaxed (watch that body language!). Talk to him, watch TV with him etc. Gradually because you don't want anything from him, because you leave him be, because you provide yummy treats, he will become more interested in you and may well end up coming over to you under his own steam.

dianaT and Kendra like this.
  8. Raphaecat

9. Raphaecat

Jasper is 7/8 months old. He was hand reared, silly tame. We’ve been having a lot of banging etcfrom builders in the house. I’ve probably been trying too hard maybe by keep trying to”tickle” him. I do spend a lot of time talking to him and he appears to be listening. So patience is the key word then.

Roz, dianaT and Michael Reynolds like this.
  10. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Absolutely yes it is. Good advice given.