1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Birds Are Weird

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by Yellowchickenparrot, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

So I went bed at 7.00pm today as I was up all night and all day with the kids, I woke a hour ago 11.00pm to hear Luna in a really soft voice saying "hello" hello give me a kiss. It was creepy as the house was quite and it's night time. Went down stairs to find wifey hasn't covered her up and left the light on. Poor Luna was like I want to got bed. I covered her up and turned the light off she gave me a really long slow wolf whistle and then said I want a cuddle. Made me chuckle

2. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Not much chance of me forgetting to put ours to bed. They start screeching, chirping and whistling constantly about half an hour before bed-time, which makes them pretty hard to ignore - and as soon as someone shows up, they start popping in and out of their box and looking at me expectantly.

We have differing opinions on what this means. They think that they have trained me to give them seed when they go to their box and come back out (or just stick their heads in, or just nod their heads in its general direction if they're feeling particularly lazy). I think, on the other hand, that I have trained them to go to their box when I tell them to, and that they get a bit over-enthusiastic by constantly doing it when I haven't told them to, in the hope of getting extra seed.

I wish ours would ask for a cuddle! All I got today was the usual grumpy little bird with her feathers ruffled up, shouting "BIRDIE!" in my face, because it's outrageous that I dare to touch her food bowl, in order to take it out and return it with more food. The food is supposed to just magically appear in there I think!

3. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Ha ha I have kinda trained Luna to go back in her cage just by saying seeds she will jump on me and clamber back into her cage as fast as possible. Luna can talk for England it's almost a joke how much she can say now and she does all the voices of everyone in my family and a few friends that come round.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  4. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Awww bless her x

My friend used to have a boarder who used to say
    “Polly want by-byes” in a very plaintive voice!

5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Joey the lesser sulphur tells me to go to bed if he wants the light out,

6. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Henni has a really evil mans slow creepy laugh she does occasionally during the night hours, she used to do it a lot but now its lessened with time thank goodness. It's like something out of an old time horror movie freaks me out!

7. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Birds are weird??? Your bird is weird! :risas3::risas3:

Lou likes this.
  8. LemonZaz

LemonZaz Regular Member Registered

Im loving the stories here :emoji_joy: More please

Lou likes this.
  9. Rain

Rain Parrot Sniffer Regular Member

Since Ri's accident, he sleeps in my room in a travel cage.
    Many times I wake up in the night, to hear him chattering to himself. The usuals are "night night" - which can go on for minutes, till I tell him "night night love". Or "what ya doing?", so I tell him I'm trying to sleep. My least favourite though is when he wakes me by shouting "wheeeeee", like he's on some ride at Alton Towers. If I tut at him, he tuts back then tells me "night night". He's such a torment.

10. Reading these made me giggle. It's covers half on around 6.30pm and small lamp on, lights out completely at 7.10pm, then cages fully covered at 7.15pm for our two, with "good night's" and we can leave the room. If for some rare reason I'm out of the room when the light goes out, but they know I'm home, Bebe has trained me (lol) to come in and say goodnight by panicked screeching until she sees me. Even if Mike is there, she wants her mum. She doesn't do it any other time. Otherwise it's the beak grinding, "hello Worzle" from Bebe, and the "I love you, I love yooooooooouuuuuuu, where's your belly?" from Gary that indicates they're settled for bed.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

11. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

Between 6.30 and 7pm Dora will usually be sitting on my knee having a last preen and scratch, once she starts beak grinding and indicates she is ready I take her into the bedroom and sing "Show me the way to go home" - Once while on my shoulder with the main light on then (hopefully) into her cage when I say "time for bed said Zebedee", repeat the singing while I cover her cage and turn off the main light leaving her with a side lamp. However, she is often naughty and plays up meaning a repeat of the singing! If my hsband puts her to bed she just gets a"time for bed" and in she goes without any fuss.

12. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Bedtime x 3 here, so Benji, starts shouting mixture of good boy and bye bye when you put the first layer of three on his cage (he is a cover chewer!) and then usually settles fairly quick with a few funny noises which sound like he has gone rusty and needs oiling.

Rubes will go no bother to her night cage upstairs and her seed treat, makes no noise until she is ready for hubby to go up and say night night and bring the covers down.

Lou goes at the same time but after Rubes about 7.30/8pm, have always wanted to show Lou that Rubes came first. She seems happy with the pecking order. When Lou has had enough seed too she also shouts for hubby (sounds like a foghorn LOL) and when he gets there she is beckoning him to get in her cage too! Dispite being told he is too big she still does this every night. So Lou gets the covers brought down too and as long as you turn the light off it is all quiet until you need to come to bed and need the landing light on and then she tells you off until it is turned out again. Hubby stubbed his toe last night stumbling around in the dark, oops! :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  13. mama_hill

mama_hill Regular Member

At about 8pm-9pm, Mogwai will start announcing bedtime to everyone with various calls of "go on, bed"
    It's never in the day and always aimed at my 2 youngest children which shows me that he's not just mindlessly mimicking. He can talk in context.

Another talking in context example, just today I was getting stressed at my tablet. Its old and the touch screen is temperamental.
    Mogwai responds to my stress with a "you alright?".

14. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

re talking in context - I was decorating and even though water based paint thought it best that Dora was at the other end of the house - we were keeping in touch by whistling and cooing, but I must have lapsed and heard her call "You allright baby" - the only phrase she says.