Birdie noises.

Natasha

Hi everyone.
So as some of you know I got Opaline on Saturday. She will be 12 weeks tomorrow. She keeps making this noise, and it gets worse sometimes when i go near her. Is this just normal birdie chatter or something I should be worried about, is she angry, or hungry, or trying to tell me something?
Shes starting to step up a little bit now but ive only had her 2 days so its a work in progress. Shes had chop today, and some pellets & still made the noise while shes been eating. Now I've given her a bowl of her tidy mix she isn't really making the noise at all? Any advice is welcomed 😂 Thank you!x

Natasha

May I add. She does do this noise continuously through the day aswell so I know it isnt just a hunger thing

Natasha

It sounds like a crow/raven call, my grey mimics all the local birds around here. @DizzyBlue we need you :flying:
From what I can tell shes done it pretty much since she could start to make noise. I used to get videos from the breeder, but the breeder said its just a normal ammie noise? Like I said it gets worse when I go near her, I don't want to distress her or anything.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Perfect magpie kind of sound!
so how would you know if it's a call to ask you to interact.... :)
Keep yourself lower than she is so your not towering over her and start positive reinforcements associate yourself with a treat plus perhaps a whistle start the ability to hold a conversation between the two of you hmmm a flock call
I played that video to my gang and only Alfie my blue front reacted he called back

Natasha

Perfect magpie kind of sound!
so how would you know if it's a call to ask you to interact.... :)
Keep yourself lower than she is so your not towering over her and start positive reinforcements associate yourself with a treat plus perhaps a whistle start the ability to hold a conversation between the two of you hmmm a flock call
I played that video to my gang and only Alfie my blue front reacted he called back
So you don't think its anything I should be worried about? I've been doing a little bit of step up training with her, and she gets a treat everytime she steps up. She's still very wary of me. Sometimes she puts her beak around my finger and its okay at first then she starts to apply pressure so I move it away. But I have so many questions and im panicking a lot about whether im doing things right or not. Ive had birds before, ive had a lovebird and she was lovely, but she passed away. And ive looked after an African grey for a day or 2 and he didnt like me at all. I dont want to push things to far where I'm distressing her. Shes eating pellets. And also her seed mix. And her chop. But with her just being a baby i dont know how often she needs her food. I worry a lot if you can tell 😂

Natasha

So you don't think its anything I should be worried about? I've been doing a little bit of step up training with her, and she gets a treat everytime she steps up. She's still very wary of me. Sometimes she puts her beak around my finger and its okay at first then she starts to apply pressure so I move it away. But I have so many questions and im panicking a lot about whether im doing things right or not. Ive had birds before, ive had a lovebird and she was lovely, but she passed away. And ive looked after an African grey for a day or 2 and he didnt like me at all. I dont want to push things to far where I'm distressing her. Shes eating pellets. And also her seed mix. And her chop. But with her just being a baby i dont know how often she needs her food. I worry a lot if you can tell 😂
Im also not sure how I know whether she wants me to interact or not. She has free roam she only goes in her cage if im out, or at bed time. She comes and sits on my head or she will sit next to me. If i try to scratch her head she leans her head backwards with her beak open. So i can never really tell. Its like distinguishing between a babies different cries

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
See I knew it was one of the birds in my garden I'm just not as educated as @DizzyBlue owww how exciting time to interact and bond through calls and noises. Remember what ever words sounds whistles you use to make interaction time interesting are the noises she might call through out the day. My grey whistles tunes all day and it kinda disappears into the background but my Amazon dose a burglar alarm not so much fun to listen to.

Natasha

See I knew it was one of the birds in my garden I'm just not as educated as @DizzyBlue owww how exciting time to interact and bond through calls and noises. Remember what ever words sounds whistles you use to make interaction time interesting are the noises she might call through out the day. My grey whistles tunes all day and it kinda disappears into the background but my Amazon dose a burglar alarm not so much fun to listen to.
It seems @DizzyBlue Is the person to go to for her advice on Opal 😂 the breeder lived in a single house that was surrounded by fields, so, it must be that. I didnt realise they could mimic so early

Top Bottom