bird not drinking

niamhandori

Registered
Sorry to be posting so much but today I haven’t seen Koji drink. he’s going to the toilet fine and is eating well. he may have drank when i left him around 12pm but i’m not sure.

i’ve tried giving him a bowl out of his cage where he likes be to. i’ve tried a bigger bowl. i’m just not sure how to convince him to drink. he’s doing well and seems fine in himself. he’s sitting with me and is way more comfortable now.

he may have drank but i’ve missed it but i wanted to ask on here for any advice. i’m still pretty new to birds as he’s my second one and he’s very different to how my first bird was. i know a lot about birds and i know they sometimes don’t drink at first but i don’t know what to actually do in this situation.

any help is appreciated
thank you

niamhandori

Registered
I haven’t been as i only got him 2 days ago and today is the first day he seems comfortable with me handling him so from tomorrow i will be weighing him. I’ll try giving him some moist fruit i offered him pineapple earlier but he wasn’t eaten that yet but i’ll try with some orange or grapes. Thank you

niamhandori

Registered
oh that’s really good to hear. he doesn’t seem dehydrated but my other bird drinks a lot and since he’s only my 2nd bird i do worry when i think something isn’t right. that’s really good to know that you don’t see yours drink. i’m just not sure what’s normal for Koji yet

dianaT

Staff member
To set your mind at rest you could gently spray him with a hand held spray with warm water in (not in the evening though as he needs to be dry before bedtime) and he will eventuallypress those feather and get moisture. Also spraying at least weekly helps keep the feathers nice, so of mine enjoy it some don't!

niamhandori

Registered
I actually did try this earlier but didn’t think about him getting water from his wet feathers. that’s really helpful and has definitely calmed me down a bit!

We have a bird who drinks like a fish, and one who seems to think she is a camel. They are both the same species of parrot too. Our boy got checked for diabetes etc.. but he's fine, just likes drinking (and peeing!). Our little girl is also in fine physical health, but we rarely see her drink, although she must do. Good suggestions regarding fruit, another suggestion our vet made in the early concern stage, was to measure the water you put in of a morning, and then measure it again that night to see the difference. If there is a concern, then ask your avian vet. It may also be that he's still getting used to things if he's only been with you 2 days. :)

Green grapes are in favour in this house, red ones get ignored. Dora seems to drink one day and not so much the next. She always has water in her bowl but prefers to drink from a running tap or a small glass we hold for her (are we daft or what)?
When not in the cage, Gary goes all dramatic like he's choking, but it means "Bring me a glass of parrot wine!". We've usually got a glass of cordial each for us, and a much weaker version for him. Glad we're not the only crazies. :lol: ;)

JackAndRob

Jardine Jessie regularly takes a tiny sip. She always comes down my arm and drinks from the running kitchen tap first thing in a morning. She seems to like it cold and fresh. She will take it from wet fingers and sometimes dips her dry food in her water bowl too.

I don't think I've ever seen Eclectus Frankie drink, but my wife has - rarely. They both get liquid from their wet food - chopped fruit and veg, so Koji may get all that he needs if he is eating those.

Top Bottom