Bird auction???

Samin Alakozay

Registered
Hi all
I have just discovered that there are bird auctions that have parrots chickens ect.... I’ve been to car auctions but bird auctions is completely new to me...

has one one been to one of these ?
what do I expect from one?
any good recommendation?
I’m looking to rehome a bird so getting one from auction might be a good idea too

thanks

Michael Reynolds

Samin I have been to bird auctions and at the auction they have birds plus other things for birds like cages but can have other non related items. if you go I advice you should go early and view the items and birds for sale. the disadvantage is you do not meet the seller so you get no history on the bird, Sometimes the auctioneer will say the birds age if it had been told to him, many of the birds that are sold by auction are birds that had not been sold from the previous brood and the breeder wants to make room for the next breeding season. there are no guarantees on health of the birds this is why you should be careful and look for any health issues. the price of the bird depends on the bidders involved and if the owner had put a minimum sale price on the bird. I had bought birds from auction at a lot lower price than at shows and shops

dianaT

Staff member
It's a risk you take if you buy from a bird auction and any bird purchased would need to have a check by an avian vet.

Samin Alakozay

Registered
@Michael Reynolds @dianaT
Hi guys,
I get my pet checked by a VET every 3-4 months to make sure he/she are in the best possible condition.
if outs not too much trouble, can you please provide me with a animal auction that you have been to or recommend?
Distance is not a problem, im actually really excited to see what the have to offer

thanks

Oli Fry

Registered
I personally don't think that someone who was genuinely seeking the best possible new home for a bird they are selling would consider an auction to be the best way to find such a home. I think parrots, as sentient beings, deserve to be treated with more respect than that.

plumsmum

Why would a parrot lover even consider endorsing the parrot meat market ie auction? If you want to rehome a bird then join a respected charity, the costs of adopting a bird this way are not huge. Charities are often full of unfortunate birds that need homes.

Michael Reynolds

Auctions are mainly used by breeders to sell the birds that have not been sold, most people go to them to buy a bird at a cheaper price than a normal sale, I have gone there to buy budgies for companion birds for homes I have awaiting, I have also bought toys and cages for the birds. the last time I had gone I bought two budgies toys and cages for two elderly ladies. the cost of the set up was just under £30 pounds each, it cost me more getting the health results and time getting them trained to the hand plus petrol. but it saved me so much needed monies as each bird cost me eight pounds. they are now in good homes and well loved. it would be impossible for me to try to adopt a bird to give to another person and after all these birds are living and need care. every penny counts as I pay for every thing and to help more people not be lonely the less I can spend the more I can help. there are many a bird that needs to find good homes either through adoption or purchase, its up to us to try to educate others in there care and commitment they have to make so a bird dose not need rehoming again.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Auctions are usually the way the breeders exchange bloodlines or colour mutations rather than it be for the general public to own a pet bird
I have purchased before (quite a few years ago when I used to be a breeder) at various auctions to bring in fresh blood lines and colour variations I purchased aviary birds as aviary stock not as caged pet birds. My old breeding birds never left here lol I was naff as a breeder as I fell in love with each one hatched so was hopeless at selling them on just got larger aviaries lol and now we're growing old disgracefully together and they are very much more spoiled and pet like treated than just stock birds.
EMBBA show is this weekend there are aviary birds and hand rears usually there plus lots of toys, feed, aviaries for sale etc etc its a good place to meet breeders and get a feel for how they rear and if they are rearing any pet birds to get your name now on their contacts list as a future purchaser / owner

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pondering if I should haul my backside out and go down as need get a load of feeds and some new tube heaters … probably be able to get a load of lights as my uva/uvb's are due for replacement this coming month hmmmmm

Samin Alakozay

Registered
@Michael Reynolds @Oli Fry @plumsmum @Kendra @DizzyBlue
Hi all, thought id be best if i just write a message to everyone involved so far
im still new to the bird world so i was not aware that auctions could be portrayed as a negative thing, my thinking behind my motive was that i would buy a bird thats needing a new home and would hopefully get the bird a fraction of the price what you tend to find online or pet shops etc.

After reading some of the comments im moving away from bird auctions as i don't want to be part of something that ultimately not liked by the bird community

however im keen to go to the EMBBA show (almost certainly going to go) i believe there is on sunday 3rd, i honestly don't know what im going to return with, can i get a "PET" there or is this also strictly breeding? do i get to talk to the seller/breeder?
is this more admired way of buying a pet bird instead of auctions? can a breeding bird be turned into pet? ( i don't see why not)

any feedback and guidance will go a long way the last thing i went to do is to go there and buy something that i can't handle LOL

on the website it stats 1000's of birds however im not sure to what degree that is accurate.

will they let in general public? can you buy the birds or is it trade strictly ?

i have so many questions guys, if you have info throw them my way!!

i have a good feeling about sunday!!!

thanks!

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Its open to general public (entry fee at door) you'd have to talk to people to ask who if anybody has any hand rears for sale and what they are. Don't buy on impulse never with the heart always with the head make sure you ask all the questions you need to are the birds disease tested did they breed them (all sales are logged with a ticket registering the breeder and the buyer to each other) if its a youngster when was it fully weaned.
If you think your going to end up buying make sure you have a carry cage, food and water for journey home, remember the bird will have travelled to the show likely the night before or early hours of the morning having being caught in an aviary if they are aviary birds and then travelled for a few hours there then into a strange environment and then lots of people and noise and then strangers and then a journey home … that is one heap load of stress. So if you buy one put its welfare first you take bird straight to your car and ensure it has food and water and leave a towel over the top of the carrier with an open area to ensure it gets enough air exchange and allow it to settle quietly do not think your going to be able to handle it or interact with it for a few days as it will be exhausted.
Decide what species your want and if there is not one there that you are drawn too do not feel the impulse to purse any available for the sake of it … its better to get the right bird rather than just any bird. Says she who goes not wanting any bird and came back with 6 one time!!!
If you buy you need to know how old, does it need paperwork, what is its usual diet as that is what you need to ensure it has so if necessary purchase a small bag of it to ensure the bird has what its needs (diets can be tweaked at a later stage)
If you buy when you get home you make an appointment with your avian vet within a couple of days to ensure that the bird has a full health check
Ensure you have the breeder / sellers details and phone number if they don't want to give it to you … don't buy! If you have a friend who is level headed and not impulse purchase orientated great … take them with you so you have somebody to talk you out of things and look at them logically and objectively.
The idea is to go and get a feel for the place and a feel for all the different types of birds rather than go there with your heart set on buying. You could go there with the objective of getting toys and different things like food etc for the near future rather than thinking your coming home with a bird .... only spend what you can afford no going over the top and double check the prices your told so a phone with internet connection is a must

Michael Reynolds

good advice given, although at PS shows are for non domestic birds they do have hand fed and birds that are used to a home environment. many of the birds can be trained and the prices are less than shop prices. you get a chance to meet the breeders and get advice from them

plumsmum

I think you are a bit hard their @plumsmum, some of us are so soft that we would think buying from such an auction would be rescuing a bird, although I do agree if at all possible keep away.
Yes @Kendra I hear you hun but if you endorse something, it continues. TBH I hate seeing birds in small cages, usually terrified by all the noise at Stafford. Then you see the ones that have been purchased being tossed around in their new tiny cages, the whole ordeal must be terrifying.

Michael Reynolds

well Samin I am glad you now have a feathered friend, what colour is he/she? do you know its age? a female normally has stripes on the underside of the tail feathers depending on the age or colour as white may not show.

Samin Alakozay

Registered
@Michael Reynolds went back to ask the guy. He said he’s 90% sure it’s a girl
Age is 1 years old give or take

currently it’s in the cage eating very quietly

is it okay to have just one? I don’t want to like make it lonely

thanks

Top Bottom