Bilbo update

dianaT

Staff member
He is lovely, and to me he does look like an older chap, I believe he is getting on a bit isn't he.

dianaT

Staff member
So many were kept in pubs in years gone by in smoky conditions fed junk food, no quiet times etc etc. What a awful life it was for those birds. No idea if it still happens these days.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
@Yellowchickenparrot hmmm the low down is …. 30 years of bad diet hmmmm a lot of that can be undone as far as the liver is concerned as livers regenerate really well when they are looked after and each day of a better diet is gradually sorting that out.
Age wise …. they can live a lot longer than most would think and can happily get into their 50's even if they didn't have the proper care they needed diet wise its just a case of making sure that never goes backwards and only continues to improve as time goes on :)
I always looks at things like the keel bone to see how much fat is knocking around and been deposited, the condition of the skin on legs and upper feet and Bilbo's look smooth rather than the horrible state I have seen some in of lifted leg scaling's and roughness showing terrible diet and age, beak looks in fair condition and flipping over to the picture you popped up of him in the aviary the eye's look to be clearer than I would expect can't see cataracts showing which would be Vit A deficiency (and yes in amazons those too can be reduced by correcting diet unlike humans) Eyes for parrots not only the windows to the soul as the old saying goes but it is a way of judging their age with the colouration of the eye gets lighter with age so to get a feel for his age we need an orange winged with a known age to compare the eye colouration too … pondering if Roz has some piccies we can compare your Bilbo's eyes too.
These are old pictures of Dizzy's eyes of when he came to first live with me all those years ago …. I know how old he was as we managed to track down his history and capture paperwork (wild caught taken from a nest) he was old and had horrendous diet and several pensioner owners had been fed things like chocolate and stuff that really would have finished off most humans let alone a parrot.
To see how things are going if you take regular pictures of things and hang on to them on your computer and date them that is a good way to watch progress as you have a proper record to compare too.
Ok so Dizz was a blue front but the eye colouration still follows of the what should be orange being a heck of a lot lighter than a younger bird
Dizz 6 (2).JPGDizzy (2).JPG
Below are photo's of Alfie's eyes who is a mere spring chicken in his teens
IMG_3105 (2).JPG
Can you see what I mean by the colour getting paler with age? Alfie orange and Dizzy a pale orange yellow Dizz had almost 40 years on top of Alfie's teens :)
Just have to look at what state Lolly was is when Lou took her on and how much her health improved … look forwards never backwards …. onwards and upwards your doing a grand job dude :)

Top Bottom