Bert first step up 😍

Scott199

So I tried again and zip, nothing seems he will only step up if he want back in his cage and can’t get their, if he’s on the floor, won’t.

how do I now translate this to something he wants to do not needs to ?

I’ve trie with his target, treats and such.

Tonifrax

😍😍😍
This is awesome! Bet this made your day! Super happy for you 😄

What happens if you dont put him straight back in his cage? Will he just stay on you or fly off?

Scott199

😍😍😍
This is awesome! Bet this made your day! Super happy for you 😄

What happens if you dont put him straight back in his cage? Will he just stay on you or fly off?
He will stay on, he can’t or won’t fly, when he tries it’s a crash at best.

but even the few seconds he was on my arm he was moving towards his cage and started looking uncomfortable, so I popped him back in.

Tonifrax

but even the few seconds he was on my arm he was moving towards his cage and started looking uncomfortable, so I popped him back in.
Does he take treats of any kind when hes on you? If he does you could try increasing the time he is on your hand before giving him a treat and then putting him down so he gets used to being there a little longer at a time and try keep it positive and reward him when he is being calm

Reactions: Roz

Roz

Elected Forum Trainer
What I noticed is that when he stepped up in the video, you went to search for a treat out of your pocket, but didn't find one in time. You used praise which is great, and maybe a treat immediately on the step up would have made it even more reinforcing. Make sure you have the treat ready next time. Using going back to the cage as another reinforcer is great too. He got plenty of treats on the step down into the cage, and because the treats immediately followed the step down, that's what you were reinforcing, rather than the initial step up.

I'd repeat reinforcing the step up with a treat, then taking him straight back to his cage until he's more comfortable with it, then I might shape duration as Tonifrax suggested.

Scott199

What I noticed is that when he stepped up in the video, you went to search for a treat out of your pocket, but didn't find one in time. You used praise which is great, and maybe a treat immediately on the step up would have made it even more reinforcing. Make sure you have the treat ready next time. Using going back to the cage as another reinforcer is great too. He got plenty of treats on the step down into the cage, and because the treats immediately followed the step down, that's what you were reinforcing, rather than the initial step up.

I'd repeat reinforcing the step up with a treat, then taking him straight back to his cage until he's more comfortable with it, then I might shape duration as Tonifrax suggested.
thank you, I have to admit I wasn’t prepared at all I’ve tried this 100’s of times and got nothing, but today he instantly showered me he wanted to then I was kind of shocked.

I did think quick give him a treat but left hand into right pocket didn’t go well for me 😂.

I’ll be more prepared next time, so first I just need to treat the step up, then after time try to push the duration?

Roz

Elected Forum Trainer
LOL I could see you weren’t prepared. Isn’t it great he trusted you to carry him over? 😁

I would only start to train duration after he’s stepping up time after time without hesitation for the treat, with the added reinforcer of going back into the cage. Training duration too early may accidentally punish the step up. I also wouldn’t give him a jackpot (multiple treats) for going back into the cage as he can do that - one is enough. 😉

Scott199

yep it was a pure shock, no plan of attack oj my part, just a "i wonder" and it kind of through me completely :)

So in theory i just ended up praising him for doing what he always does, im sure in his little mind he thought "oh i like this, what did i do, oh wait i went to my cage"

Hopeful

Training is a minefield of oh I missed this, I did that, but you have done wonders with and for this little boy, you should be very proud x

plumsmum

He will gain confidence in this simple act, may take a little while. You got the start hun. :)

Top Bottom