Bees?

My sister has 8 hives her hubby has just built another 4 as some are getting ready to swarm :)
Love bee's they are fascinating.

My sisters are natives too. She has always kept a couple of hives empty and collected her own swarms that split from her hives. Last winter she went through lots of icing sugar to ensure they were well stocked for the winter with it being so cold where she lived up on the North York Moors.
She cuts me chunks of honey on the comb off for my flock and me to share. Tastes way better than shop bought stuff. nom nom nom!

Yes, August now so time to check for mites. I hear there's a problem with wax moths as well this year. The bees are great little workers and none have read the books but I'm trying my best for them.

In the past few weeks I have found 3 sources of local honey thank goodness, I was panicking as dislike the supermarket stuff so do the parrots - only local for them but they only have a smidgen anyway.

Honey is also great for things like bacterial infections, mild burns and abrasions and heaps of other things as well as hiding parrot meds :naughty2:

Can't beat a slice of fresh baked bread with proper butter melting through it and a spoon of honey on the top hmmmmm yuuuuuummmmmmy!

I love bees but I have never kept any. just discovered I have a wasp nest outside above my living room window my living room window today will that count? :risas3::risas3: once had a neighbour whom had bees and just loved unprocessed honey comb

Reactions: Roo
You can look after bumble bees but no honey from them and all but the queen die come Autumn time.
Honey is fantastic for wounds etc and the propolis ( really sticky stuff made out of tree sap that the bees stick everything together with) is fantastic too... You can even chew it to help with tooth ache.
Can not wait to try my own honey, as its antibacterial it's safe for me.
Did you know manuka honey is the same as other honey, just from a manuka tree and it costs so much more as the company couldn't sell it ( it tastes weird) so they payed tens of thousands of pounds to get it tested to prove it has healing properties... But so does all honey. That's what I've been taught anyway!
Also the very runny honey in supermarkets is filtered so much there's hardly anything in it lol

Only a month or so, but have previously done a course and have a whole shelf of books. I'm a member of the British bee keepers association, bee improvement and bee breeding association and my local club :emoji_flushed: I've wanted bees for years and never been well enough so just read about them. Now I have them I have to wait a year then I can start my exams on the road to being a master bee keeper... That will take years.

Well what can I say I new bee keeper with a new life it can be amazing just how much of a change an operation can make. I do wish you will succeed in your goal to get a masters in bee keeping. xx

Reactions: Roo
This stuff is real fascinating. I love what the bees do and how important they are for us, however they frighten the life out of me. I never kill bees or wasps, as have been always taught to respect nature and gods living creatures.

Do those bees not attack? Iv heard about Manuka honey and how it sells for like insane amount of money when in fact its just like normal honey. Its all a PMR stunt. Would love to try some local made honey...[emoji80]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow - like Waki I am finding this fascinating. I heard a talk on the radio a couple of days ago about beekeeping. It was so interesting.

Back
Top Bottom