Bedtime Routine

Angela Cook

Eden (owa) and echo (dyh) are put to bed around 9pm each evening and uncovered at 9am. Eden has always been OK when her cover goes on but Echo gets stressed when he sees the cover and starts to cry. I have been covering him and say nite nite but I can hear him clambering around the cage crying for around 15 min after covering him. Need some reassurance that I am right to continue to cover him for bed?
a346436180fd6c904ecea2ca7fb0621a.jpg

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

What time do you cover him and what do you use? Is he still in the room with TV on people chatting etc. If so maybe half cover the cage.
I use sheets folded in half so they can still see out if they wish and cover them around 9.15-9.30pm. We all have different routine but you may need to try something different.

I personally never cover a cage at night unless the bird was used to being covered and then I will always leave a space so it can look out and see that there are no dangers around. birds roost in hollows and trees in the wild if they hear something they will look for danger before settling again. I would say your bird may be feeling uncomfortable being completely closed off from all the sounds going on out side and there for not settling.

Last couple of nights I have partially covered him with a maybe 6 inch gap at 9pm then completely covered around 30mins later but the crying carries on. He's in the family room along with Eden and the dogs I let the dogs out around 11pm so there's a little disturbance then and I sometimes hear him grunt once and I reply nite nite but other than that he's quiet. Just find it distressing hearing him crying when he sees the cover (have changed it 3 times with same result)?

Wow...he’s gorgeous.
I always cover our birds at night..... but as they are in out lounge, it’s when we go to bed.

How long has this been happening for?

The weather pattern has changed this last week and we are back to changeable airflow and frontal systems, and birds detect the pressure changes. Also it’s full moon, and there’s been a large solar flare .... I find moon phase affects Behaviours.

Thanks he's gone to bed by himself muttering to himself as he dozes! I'll put Eden to bed at 9 and leave him uncovered tonight we have blinds so I suspect he will be up early tomorrow hoping he doesn't decide to wake the neighbours hoping for a dull day lol [emoji23]

Also if you lock him into a 12 hour sleep cycle you are making a hormonal rod for your own back.
He must be allowed to experience the seasons through variations in light quality and length of days. So that a normal hormonal cycle is facilitated

What a beautiful picture of a beautiful bird! Yes, I was thinking that maybe he doesn't need as much as 12 hours sleep a night. I know mine don't get that much. Try putting them to bed a little later. Plus you could give them a few treats and maybe some head scratches before you pull the covers down so that bed time and the covers become something to look forward to.

I cover my lot every night the covers don't go all the way to the floor it covers the top half of the cage. MrP my DYH is terrible on a night … I say terrible as I have to listen to a couple of renditions of you'll never walk alone (sung in a croaky Liverpudlian accent followed by "ip ip raaaaay" and if he hears anything after settling he will call out and I then reply it's only me … followed by Tuppy one of the greys she will say "shhhhh bed time now"
Alfie the BFA has a particular time he likes to be covered by if the cover isn't on by 9.30pm I am in danger of going deaf he has a very very loud ammie scream that just kind of grates as it rattles your insides! When the cover goes on he climbs down and double checks the covers are going on over the other cages then he has a snack then heads up to his roost perch.
Little Henni likes to go to bed after everybody else has gone to bed and been covered, she has 10 minutes with me just her and me for a cuddle in front of the telly and then she'll settle. If this doesn't happen then all hell breaks loose until she gets it! I am particularly well trained any my birdies all the shots :risas3:
My gang get up early every day … Henni tells us all when its time to get up ….. think sometimes she's half Cockrill so my lot are all up and ready for breakfast by 5am latest. Henni gets up earlier during the summer and joins in dawn chorus with the outside birdies. Towards lunchtime my lot have a siesta and the house goes silent for a good hour but they are never covered at that time.

Just cover the cage but leave the front uncovered for 15 minutes or so, its a nice way to settle down instead of suddenly being fully covered.
Mine get lots of sleep as they dont get up at the crack of dawn and enjoy a lie in, but they do like to be in bed by 11:30pm or they start getting annoyed and make little noises coz they want to go to bed (mine sleep in a seperate cage to their day cage)

Well he slept through from 11pm after dogs went out till 7ish when hubby came down and woke him! Will try for a few days and see what sort of mood he's in after less sleep lol Eden stayed covered until 9 but with no protest, I've been trying to treat them exactly the same to avoid any issues but Eden doesn't seem to be bothered fingers crossed

MrP my DYH is terrible on a night … I say terrible as I have to listen to a couple of renditions of you'll never walk alone (sung in a croaky Liverpudlian accent followed by "ip ip raaaaay" and if he hears anything after settling he will call out and I then reply it's only me … followed by Tuppy one of the greys she will say "shhhhh bed time now"

What is it about that dyh croaky voice?lol [emoji23] Echo is just the same

I would love to conduct a study on homonal bitey canky caiques.
How many of them are allowed to wake with the dawn and sleep at sunset?

Well we are getting there Eden is following her routine and is very happy with bed at 9pm, echo is now covered half at about 10 pm and gets up with Eden at 9am with no apparent ill effects (he has naps in the day whereas Eden doesn't) between 9 and 10pm echo has his one to one time he's not a cuddly bird but enjoys sitting with me 'watching' telly and gabbering away. The lady couple of nights though he takes hold of my finger very gently and sits like that for maybe a couple of minutes? Any ideas on why he does this? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom