1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Becks Pets?

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by Kimberleyanddarren, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Kimberleyanddarren

Kimberleyanddarren Regular Member

Hello all,

I have been trying to find an african grey parrot for sale. We visited Becks pets/Becks bird barn in Shropshire/Telford today and I was wondering if anyone has ever had any dealings with them?

I want to make sure I use a reliable breeder who produces healthy tame birds.

Many thanks

2. Ksolocj

Ksolocj Regular Member

I think Bradders has, Ruby is from them, if I am not mistaken

3. Julie

Julie The Mother Hobbit Regular Member

I think you're right Keith

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  4. Bob

Bob Bird Whisperer Staff Member Admin

Hi, sorry no have had no dealings with them, hopefully someone else will help  :thumbsup:

5. Bradders

Bradders Parrot Power! Staff Member Moderator

Hi, yes, our little Ruby is from them.

We have had no problems with Beck's at all. I didn't realise how difficult it was finding a grey. We just thought they would be widely available. Anyway after weeks of searching we phoned up Beck's and just by chance they had a 12 week grey who was just to be moved from breeding into their shop. So by 9am the following day, my OH arrived at the shop and bought her on sight. She was sexed and came with PBFD certificate as well as hatch certificate. Also she should have been microchipped but she wasn't it seemed according to our vet but he did it for free as he works with Beck's and knew it should have been part of the package. They advised on food and we had to keep in contact so we could feedback how she was eating. They said we could call anytime if we had problems.

With hindsight, I'm not sure moving this bird into a shop to be sold is the right thing to do. I'm guessing she was the last of the clutch as no other grey was available ( my poor wee bird). So maybe they thought putting her in the shop was the way for her to go. Thankfully, she was with us on the morning she arrived there! I do know they will let you visit your new bird until it is ready to leave so maybe Ruby's situation was a one off. Now, I also think prospective owners should be vetted before being allowed to buy a bird but maybe that's just me being over the top. However, I know they have vet days so maybe this is where people and new owners are educated.

Anyway, Ruby is now 16 months old and just perfect. She's very chatty, has been harness trained from a young age, and has been a joy! Our avian vet is amazing and he works with Beck's so I'm guessing that's a good sign.

They also have years of experience and are family run. Ruby stayed at their farm for boarding last year when we went on holiday and was absolutely fine.

So, I guess I'm saying our Beck's experience was a good one, we're happy and we have a very happy bird!

6. Bradders

Oh and she is extremely tame! Lies on her back on your lap saying 'love you!' and loves to be tickled and kissed!

7. Kimberleyanddarren

Thanks for your replies! We were there today and were given the impression the bids are moved to the shop when they are almost ready to go to their new homes (I will ring to clarify tomorrow). I am a little concerned about this as I wonder if it will have a negative impact on them? But otherwise they seemed very knowledgeable and everything seemed clean/well looked after.

8. Bradders

I know, it does puzzle me when they do that. I guess birds like greys are not around too long but I'm not sure it's the best environment for a new baby. Like I said, I'm just thankful Ruby was bought quite quickly so she did not spend much time in the shop at all. But if you find out why they do this, I'd love to know.

If your grey has just been hatched and you put a deposit down, are you then able to pick it up direct from the farm when it is ready? I agree that everything else was brilliant, it's just the shop thing that gets me. I can understand when breeding they may not want a lot of visitors to the farm but it is big enough to keep the breeding part separate.

If you do have a spare 8 mins of your life, I did post a video of Ruby talking in the media section - Ruby gets chatty. You can see a Beck's bird in action! :)

9. Kimberleyanddarren

That's great I will definitely check out the video!

They aren't even hatched yet, they aren't to far of hatching though. I want a male as I heard these typically bond better with women? I will call tomorrow and find out about this. When I went in yesterday they have already had one person place a deposit on a male, so I think they are likely to be sold before they are a few weeks old.

10. Bradders

Just a thought, people do say male greys do bond better with human females. This is not always true. We wanted a male too but when we saw we could buy a grey immediately and we had only one to choose from we were willing to compromise. Ruby wasn't sexed when we bought her, they were awaiting results so we took a chance. A week later, we found out we had a Ruby and not a Rolf! Although Ruby is quite happy to be handled by both of us, I think she likes me better (I'm female). I'm the one she will be good for. I don't get nipped when she's angry but there have been times she has intentionally attacked the OH. I can clean her cage when she is in it and she will let me move toys about etc. OH did this at the weekend and as soon as he put his hand in the cage she went for him. In the end she had to sit in travel cage while he did it (She would only allow me to move her) So funny I thought! She mimics me too, rarely repeats what he says.

I think greys are just individual, could be in the future she prefers him. That has been known to happen too for them to change their favourite person.

11. Bradders

Knowing what I know now, I am really surprised Ruby was still available at 13 weeks old! I suspect maybe a deposit was put on her then was cancelled at the last minute. Like I say, she had not been sexed at that point or chipped. We didn't ask at the time but I'd love to know. She may not have been wanted in her first weeks of life but we absolutely adore her!

12. Kimberleyanddarren

Yes I had read an article earlier saying sex doesn't really matter, but as they are going to be sexed and I have to state if I want a male or female when putting a deposit I thought male would be the safest bet?

13. Kimberleyanddarren

Did Ruby come with her cage for 995? That's what they are now. The cage is a £200 one which I had a look at today it's quite large.

14. Bradders

Ruby was about £800 but we had a cage already. Personally, I'd want to choose my own cage, think the rule is, as large as you have room for.

My cynical side says that by providing a cage in the price they are generating more income for themselves. However, it is an excellent way to ensure the birds they sell are suitably housed. Do you get a choice in style?

Actually, I quite liked not knowing if we had a girl or a boy. It was like having a real baby where obviously you have no choice! I announced Ruby's gender on Twitter as if I had given birth to her myself! Haha

15. Bradders

Importantly, what name do you have in mind? :)

divegirl likes this.
  16. Wacam

Wacam Regular Member

I had minimal dealings with them when I was researching breeds and their suitability to me and my lifestyle. It was almost ten years ago now but I spoke to the principal who was very helpful, not pushing a sale and seemed to have a genuine sensitiveness to the birds welfare.

I also noticed that all their breeding stock was available by appointment only and was not a free for all for casual visitors.

However, I am disappointed and a little concerned that birds are kept in a shop environment and would certainly disapprove dealing under those circumstances.

Generally, my perception of them is that they are genuine, that's assuming the business hasn't been sold on in the meantime.

17. Bradders

Yes, this is the only thing that concerns me. I think it is still the same owners. Their son and daughter work in the business now so I'm sure it is a long established business. At the time, I don't think I quite knew parrots in the way I do now and it has often played on my mind why they would stock their birds in a shop environment. Doesn't make sense as they come across so caring. Unless they have a perfectly valid reason for this.

18. Wacam

Wacam Regular Member

In all these situations great care, good research and common sense will ensure you make the right decisions and choices. It's a process of minimising the likelihood of being exploited.

Nothing is certain nowadays, other than death and taxes!

Kimberleyanddarren likes this.
  19. Kimberleyanddarren

Yes you can pick out of a selection of cages and if you want to upgrade to a larger cage you can pay a little extra, but tbh the cages they showed us were likely what we would have picked anyway!

At the moment, the names I like are ghost and shadow :) but we are still thinking on it!

20. Kimberleyanddarren

I did have the same thoughts about making more money for themselves with the cages, but like you say it equally ensures they are suitable housed and I guess covers expenses e.g. DNA and chipping