1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beak Shedding?

Discussion in 'Health' started by JackAndRob, Aug 7, 2019.

1. JackAndRob

JackAndRob Regular Member Registered

I have noticed that a layer of Frankie's beak is peeling:

[​IMG]

Sorry that it is not the best photo (he's a bit camera shy), but there's a shadow under the flake, in the orange area of his beak. It is the same on both sides. It was not like this in a photo I took 3 days ago. His beak wasn't in the best condition when we got him and his vet did need to do a little trimming around the tip.

He hasn't had any falling/flying accidents that I am aware of.

I am guessing that the older top layer does naturally flake away as newer growth comes through. Just wanted to check that this is normal. He is on a diet that should include enough vitamin A. He may not have been before, so maybe the flaking will be more pronounced until the effect of a better diet comes through.

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes the beak bits do flake away don't worry about it.

DizzyBlue and JackAndRob like this.
  3. JackAndRob

Thanks DianaT. Good to know :)

4. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

It is worth providing something rough for him to give it a good rub on, mine use their pedi perches, birds need to keep their own beaks trimmed and should not need assistance from a vet unless something is wrong. If a beak grows too rapidly it can be indications of health problems and an appointment should be made giving the reason why.

Michael Reynolds and JackAndRob like this.
  5. JackAndRob

The flake has now gone and Frankie's beak looks much cleaner :)

DizzyBlue likes this.