Beak Care

Jeanette

Hi everyone
I have a yellow crowned amazon 18 months old and would like to know if there is anything I should be doing by way of beak care such as using an oil as I have read a few posts were oil is used but I wasn't aware you needed to do this?
Regards
Jeanette

Hi Jeanette.
Well I have never used anything on any of my parrots beaks, lets see what other members say.

Hi Diana
No neither have I so I was surprised when I read it, thats why I thought I would ask incase it was something I should be doing :emoji_thinking:

I'm not going to boo boo appears healthy and happy and his beak seems fine I just panicked as only had partots 2 yrs so still learning loads bit so much conflicting stuff out there also. Thank you for taking g the time to reply :emoji_blush:

You are welcome we do all try to help each other and are still learning off each other too!

I haven't heard of putting oil on the beak...and I wouldn't do anything like that unless my vet advised it.
As long as your Amazon has a good balanced diet with veggies and fruit which have a good vitamin A content....
Some owners give palm fruit oil on a little toast occasionally especially for African Greys...my yellow crowned isn't keen on toast...so I use the Harrisons power treats, just 2 or 3 a day...otherwise they are too rich for amazons....he loves those and will pick them out of his food bowl...they help with any flaky beak and help with feather condition.

There is no reason at all to put any oil on the beak(no one does this in the wild for them)I feed 1 Palm nut to each Amazon and this can help keep the beak trimmed however natural branches will also do this.I only have breeding pairs here so they can have more fat in their diet.

Thanks everyone for replying you have confirmed what I thought and Boo Boo is doing great he eats loads of fresh vegetables and fruit twice a day, different nuts and loves the occassional chicken bone and toast with palm oil if he's in the mood but he doesn't like seed at all i have tried all the brands out there and he will only occasionally eat pellets our Vet says he is healthy so I'm not going to worry too much about the seeds :emoji_blush:

Back
Top Bottom