1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barraband Parakeet / Superb Parrot Breeder

Discussion in 'Parrot Breeders' started by sharpey07, Nov 29, 2014.

1. sharpey07

sharpey07 Regular Member

Does anyone know of a breeder of Barraband Parakeet sometimes known as a superb parrot in the UK. 

I live in Yorkshire but distance is not a problem for the right bird. My requirements are that the bird are hand reared and Male DNA sexed preferably. 

I know this wonderful forum has some great breeders on here but I know barrabands are not a popular species (or it seems that way as I can't find a breeder doing a google search) I just wondered if the breeders had any contacts to fellow breederd who breed barabands.

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Their are breeders about but as you said they are not so easy to find.

3. Michael Reynolds

I have just spoted one for sale on gumtree but it is female selling for £150 semi tame it said posted 3 houres ago.  \they may know of a breeder

4. Michael Reynolds

I male 9 months old walsal west Midlands for sale @ 3120 but wants to sell cage as well at 350 add ref no 1087083676  If this helps

yes Gumtree  type parrot   Birds in the first box

5. sharpey07

sharpey07 Regular Member

Yeah already talked to him he has the exact same advert on birds4sale and he doesn't know the sex so could be male might not be. his response to me did not fill me with confidence so I will not be taking the bird unless he can get it sexed and prove it is male or not. 

6. Michael Reynolds

You can tell the difference by looking as The male has a broader beak and will not have red socks head shape is slightly different as well.   

7. Michael Reynolds

Opps Just noticed the price increase It should read £120.

8. Michael Reynolds

Their was also two pairs being sold.

9. sharpey07

sharpey07 Regular Member

Thanks for that Michael I didn't know about the socks thing as I know roughly for the first year barrabands look alike but then they start to get the yellow feathers around the head roughly around the first moult. but do the males never have red socks?

10. Michael Reynolds

The tails are a little darker but this is hard to see unless you have a young pair together the males never have red socks. but the beak is the biggest give away