1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bark

Discussion in 'Housing' started by Yellowchickenparrot, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Is bark safe for use in aviary?

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

if it has not been treated with chemicles and of safe woods,

3. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

problem with bark is that the food dropped tends to bury itself under everything so you end up with stuff rotting away unseen which naturally mice would love to get to and the bark would provide a habitat for them to hide in. Bark also absorbs water so that's another thing to ponder about eventually it will rot and will grow fungi as rotting tree's do.
    HOWEVER bark does have its useful side for birds that are unsteady in flight or landing as it provides a good cushion for anybody who perhaps falls.
    I do use wood shavings but only in the roosting box and I buy bails of horse shavings and use them. I use that instead of things like sawdust as sawdust the little bits get everywhere including in eyes especially if the wind blows which it does a heck of a lot!
    I have used sand in the aviary as a light scattering and swept up regularly but that too tends to blow everywhere and cause issue it can get blown and accumulate in a corner which defeats the object of having it.
    I have also turfed inside the aviary on top of the concrete base which the birds loved and enjoyed trashing plus the grass absorbed the nutrients of the birdie poop … but then was the issue of dropped seeds growing everywhere so the lovely grass for foraging … didn't stay lovely for long!
    I am now back to concrete floor sweeping and swilling regularly.
    Keep thinking about landscaping in there again and perhaps leaving bare concrete where the feeders are so that cleaning up waste food isn't such a biggie.

4. Yellowchickenparrot

Thanks Michael and dizzy I'm possibly going to slab it like I have the main aviary

5. DizzyBlue

Slabbing it is a good idea if you fancied you could put a forage corner in so there is somewhere to go and hunt around for stuff but not too massive so it can be easily cleaned out oh and just make sure if you do its not got things like feed bowls above it :rolleyes:

6. DizzyBlue

ooo how about doing the floor mosaic style if you want the floor to look different?
    Or select coloured slabs instead of the average usual one colour ones and make a pattern?

7. Yellowchickenparrot

Ha ha, I have slabs floating around so will use them no crazy colours I'm afraid

8. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

bark is viewed as highly dodgy for chickens due to its habit of going mouldy underneath so I would think also unsuitable for aviary birds.

9. Yellowchickenparrot