1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barbie's Babies 2019

Discussion in 'A Place To Discuss And Show Off All Other Pets' started by sunnyring, May 16, 2019 at 8:31 PM.

1. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

meet Barbie's new ducklings- hatched last night, she's an old old lady but seems young again now has these to protect... she nailed me well when I put hand in to put food in lol. she is either 14 or 15 now. the ducklings are runners. Asbo chicken who normally lives with Barbie is now firm friends with the new chicken Ginger so not lonely while Barbie is duckling tending. was a little tricky to achieve due to Asbo's chicken savaging habit but a combination of a beak bit ( think chicken muzzle/Hanabel Lector mask lol) for one week followed by spraying new hen with nasty anti pecking stuff has done the trick and they now are good pals. 60192421_10219662297736748_4493045269226586112_n.jpg 60524466_10219662297936753_9023434922609606656_n.jpg

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

they are so sweet

sunnyring likes this.
  3. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Oh WOW look at those little feather bundles!
    :emoji_heart_eyes:

sunnyring likes this.
  4. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

Asbo & Ginger.. thankfully Asbo is now behaving herself without having to be muzzled and the two are now firm friends - and no one injured :) 58376846_10219508223124979_8290417862133153792_n.jpg

5. DizzyBlue

He he he look at those fluffy lugholes of ginger :) lovely

sunnyring likes this.
  6. Stinkie

Stinkie Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Barbie is such a cool mum every time :)
    I almost asked last night for piccies of the chicken muzzle, never knew they existed! Ginger is looking fab too

sunnyring likes this.
  7. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

8. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

She is a darling , very old now but was so determined to go broody who am I to say no? she is not letting them out of their house yet so are having room service of a fresh dish of wet chick crumb a few times a day.
    the muzzle- I hate using them and will only ever use for a week but they are useful if you have one who needs to stop attacking and start thinking . she would have torn Ginger limb to limb without it. she could still eat/drink etc with it in but could not grab feathers or skin or peck hard (she still tried nutting her for a few days but that is not as bad!) thankfully now minus muzzle and they are best of friends.

DizzyBlue, dianaT and Stinkie like this.
  9. Lisa7284

Lisa7284 Regular Member Registered

They are adorable :emoji_heart_eyes:

10. DizzyBlue

@Yellowchickenparrot you owe us piccies of little feather bundle updates too!
    What species of ducklings has Barbie got this time @sunnyring Hmmm two golden ones, one black and a little striped dude are they all the same species just different colourations or different species hatched together?

11. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

They are beautiful :emoji_heart_eyes:. Can I ask @sunnyring what is that grey metal thing on your white hen?

sunnyring likes this.
  12. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

its a soft rubbery plastic beak bit- she had to wear it for one week to stop her killing the new girl-which she would have as she has form for really hurting other chickens. I never use them unless necessary and never more then one week but if you have one that really means it regarding aggression it does calm everything down until they realise actually a friend is a nice thing. the beak bit acts like a muzzle- prevents hard pecking , prevents feather pulling and skin ripping, Its good for Asbo to have a chicken friend as they are very social creatures so although not a nice thing for her to wear it the benefits of having a good pal at end of week is worth the irritation of one week with the beak bit. Its not something I ever do lightly as you do really need to watch over a hen thats muzzled to make sure she is comfortable at all times.

the ducklings are runner ducks, I was really pleased to get a mix of colours as they are more interesting to watch growing up. I'd reckon probably one black, one wild duck colour and 2 white although some of the their parents were a pale gold brown so maybe one of the yellow ones is that rather then white.

DizzyBlue likes this.
  13. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

ps with a hen with serious aggression issues the general advice is to kill the hen. or keep in solitary confinement . many commercial flocks avoid the issue by amputating a huge portion of all hens upper beaks when they are chicks- cut back that hard it does not grow back. Ginger has been slightly beak clipped but its minimal- would have happened at 2 or 3 days old- she is very very lucky as has majority of beak. many that have it done look terrible, really mutilated - it depends on who is doing the job that day how bad they end up. if you look closely at Ginger hen you can see her upper beak is not quite as long as it should be but she has had so little taken off I think it will grow back. very lucky hen.
    if you want to see what the commercial hens look like beak clipped that aren't as lucky as Ginger look up debeaking on google- I won't put photos up as its vile

14. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

ps apparently free range organic laying hen flocks are not allowed to be debeaked so if you wish to avoid it thats what you should buy

DizzyBlue likes this.