Back to square one

Linda M

Registered
Hi, Buddy has been with us now since December, she was really scared every time I had to put my hand in the cage, so I tried saying ‘food time’ as I slowly approached her cage, not looking at her with my hands by my sides, this seemed to work after a while, she would climb up to the top of her cage and just watch as I replaced food and water, then as soon as I finished she would be down to enjoy her fresh meal but recently she’s started all the old behaviours of flapping about and yelling, I have no idea why, I thought we were getting somewhere but she is very wary again. I must admit to feeling a bit downhearted, I really don’t want her stuck in the cage all the time, I do worry about her becoming fed up and depressed. Any thoughts?

dianaT

Staff member
@Linda M It can take a lot long with some parrots than others.
Have you not let her out at all? She will likely go back in when she is hungry, you will never know until you try. make sure she can see something to land on you can make a stand for her quite easily with safe woods and a bucket to fix it in.
Let's see what others can advise. @Zoe220615 @CaptainHowdy ........anyone please.

CaptainHowdy

Has anything changed in your routine or anything in the room, are you suddenly wearing a different coloured top or have you changed your hair?

Birds can be very particular about what they do and don't like!

At what point does the little on start to panic? Do you get to a certain part of the room?

Linda M

Registered
Hi, thank you for your replies, I have not let Buddy out, she had a bad experience with her last owner when she was out and he couldn’t get her back in again, she is extremely hand shy.
I have found she doesn’t like bright colours so I wear a cream coloured cardi when I do her food, she climbs up out of the way fine but then panics when I move to open the door to take the pots out, she’s fine when I put them back in again.

Zoe220615

Dont feel downhearted about it. It happens one step forward two back its parrots for you lol. What i would do is everyday this happens right it down what happened what point she panicked was your hair up hair down glasses if you wear them on or off nail polish changing colors? an i think you will begin to see a pattern of exactly what sets her off. I have one who hates nails so i cant wear them anymore. Took me a while to work it out but in the end i did. Dont give up write it down.

Linda M

Registered
Thankyou, I will start to make a note, I obviously change my clothes lol, her cage is literally 4 ft away from where I sit (side on to her cage) so she sees me all the time. How to get inside a parrots head lol.

Top Bottom