1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baby African Grey First Flight

Discussion in 'Breeding And Babies' started by Good2talk, Sep 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Good2talk

Good2talk Regular Member Registered

At what age can we expect the baby to fly? The breeder says he'll probably be flying by the time we collect him this month, aged 13 weeks?! We would hate to miss this big step and were under the impression it wouldn't happen at this age?

2. Good2talk

Sorry, on collection day, 25th Sept, he will be 12 weeks, not 13.

3. Stinkie

Stinkie Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Maybe you can visit the baby when it starts fledging?

4. Good2talk

We wish, but as sole carers of our severely disabled son who is unable to travel very far, we're stuck for visiting.

5. Stinkie

Stinkie Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ask the breeder to record it on video? You're only going to miss a few awkward landings and a few crashes, he'll still continue to improve his flying skills after you've picked him up.

TomsMum likes this.
  6. Parrot797

Parrot797 Regular Member

He/she should be flying when you collect him/her.
    Just remember not to clip it's wings!

7. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

judging from cockatiels/ budges fledging I prefer to miss it- lots of crash landings first day or so! got one in aviary just left
    nest and he is really scary to watch . has to learn though

pepsirat likes this.
  8. Good2talk

Thanks, all. So long as there's still time for my OH to get in there, flapping her arms at the baby, all will be good! I can assure you there will be certainly no wing clipping. Isn't there a flying harness you can buy? Are they effective?

pepsirat and sunnyring like this.
  9. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

The Aviator harness is the original tried and tested one...we have several members who have harness trained their birds.... @FeatherMonkey has both his Greys harness trained....if you search for his posts you'll find some pics of them.

10. Good2talk

Thanks, @TomsMum We have already purchased the Adventure one from Scarlett's. The gentleman there said these are currently outselling the original Aviator 6 to 1. I'll be either swapping to an Aviator or keeping and testing the Adventure one, as per the discussion with @marley

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  11. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

12. Good2talk

Yes, thanks, that's the one that put the doubt in my mind, but if it doesn't tighten and no sharp edges anywhere @marley says his works well. Also, recommended by Scarlett's.

13. pepsirat

pepsirat Regular Member

Bailey was harnessed trained then he had a fright when wearing it. So i keep trying to reintroduce it to him so far no look lol.