1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aviator Harness

Discussion in 'Parrot Entertainment' started by KLD95, Mar 18, 2019.

1. KLD95

KLD95 Regular Member Registered

Hi everyone, I’m just wondering if you can you give me some tips, advice and methods of getting Rosie to use her harness.

I’ve been putting the harness across her back and rewarding her with ‘good girl rosie’ and a treat. I have also been putting a treat in front of the head loop and letting her put her head through it to get the treat and again rewarding her and praising her. She’s comfortable with being around the harness and harness being over her head but that’s about it, she loses interest. Rosie seems to be more focused on the treat. Rosie is the type of bird where you’ve just got to put it on her and go. She was the same with cutting her nails, introducing new toys, the shower, the taps, the cat etc. I’m too afraid to just put it on her in case she panics.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :)

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

there is a video on this subject @Roz @DizzyBlue can you help find the link, I was showing another member some tips on this subject earlier today when they came around my place today. i see if the video is found if not I or Roz should be able to guide you.

3. KLD95

I’ve watched the DVD that come with the aviator and I have followed it but Rosie doesn’t seem to be taking to it. I’m consistent with her but she’s just not the slightest interested! Thank you. Look forward to your help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Michael Reynolds

Ok you may need to play with her more before you proceed to get the harness over her wings, @karendean46 i thought i will let you explain what i was teaching you (just to see if you understood) its ok i showed him some methods that i use if he dose not reply by tomorrow eve i will guide you. I took four of my birds out to day on harness (yes Dean Jackie went out next)

5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

@Stinkie has had great success with the aviator harness... She’ll be able to give you some pointers :thumbsup:

6. KLD95

Thank you both. Rosie lets me raise her wings with my hands as she loves to be scratched under them. I just haven’t tried to put the harness over them as she’s too eager to retrieve the treat and start again.

Thanks again :)!

TomsMum likes this.
  7. TomsMum

8. Stinkie

Stinkie Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It sounds like it's going great, you want her focussed on the treat and not paying attention to the harness! You just need to withhold the treat until she does something you want, and push a tiny bit further each time. The harness isn't a toy you definitely don't want her beak anywhere near it, it could be that I'm misunderstanding what you mean by not taking to it and losing interest.

9. KLD95

That’s a good point actually! It’s fine, what I mean is she’s not familiarising with it? I’m sorry I don’t know how to put it into word It’s as if she’s doing what I want, getting the treat and then strutting off

10. Michael Reynolds

if I am correct in what I think you are saying it Sound more like she is an active bird that dose not want to stay still for long to allow you to put the rest of the harness on.

11. KLD95

That’s exactly what I mean Michael lol! It’s been a long week and we’re only on Tuesday!

12. Michael Reynolds

Ok can I suggest getting a stand or making one up for the use, if you are trying to fit the harness whilst on a table or your lap you are allowing your bird to walk away, now this dose not stop the bird from turning around and you do not want a stand of any length or your bird will walk from one end to another, I made one up for a friend that had this problem using a cake turn table as the base so if the bird turns around you just twist the stand around. he had to get the bird used to staying on it but that was not difficult. this is a common problem with toos I know I have trained four and none can stay interested in one thing for to long

13. Michael Reynolds

I cannot recommend the Adventure Harness after retriving a B&G that was wearing one and the part that gose arround the wrist gave way, there is a metal clip that is suppose to hold the end of the lead in a loop and the lead slipped out allowing the bird to fly free. the big danger is the bird was still in the harness and the elastic lead can get cought up in a tree, restricting the birds ability to escape preditors or move from wear it got stuck, apart from making the bird panic more the bird cannot find food so a nasty death can follow, the condition of the harness srill looked new and no wear

14. TomsMum

Note For clarity....the Adventure Harness is not the Aviator Harness (title of this thread), and the Aviator Manufacturers do have a section on their website regarding “lookalikes”.

As with any parrot accessory, toy, etc.....owners must take every precaution and check out all fixings, straps, threads etc before using and at regular intervals.

Stinkie posted this great thread
    https://theparrotclub.co.uk/communi...s-to-aviator-harness.28537/page-3#post-401963
    With details from the Aviator people about the materials they use and the quality control checks they have.

Stinkie and dianaT like this.