Aviator Harness Nudge.. Check Yours Regularly

FeatherMonkey

Please check and double check this is not even a month old been used little over 4 times. Hickory did this yesterday in probably under 40 mins. Held on just by the back 3 welds
fa2f3277b322df8670ff5ddcf3418177.jpg

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Hmm always got to be so vigilant when using a harness, too much to loose. Try and distract from chewing, and if you see any chewing going on, check harness thoroughly. They are not beak proof unfortunately so no chewing allowed!
There is no safer harness on the market that I know of.

To tight and they chew, just the price I have to pay. Call it the paradox comfortable enough to want to chew but not chewing it. To be fair Willow is normally the one this year he's an angel fingers crossed.

Stopping a grey chewing is just drama rewarding, can't win either way. Best bet is to positively reward no chewing.

Just taking them out is risk management for many not worth the added risk. Having seen a bird trapped in a harness in a tree all risks should be evaluated against gains and peace of mind.

Thanks for the heads up...I will move this post to Behaviour - where the majority of posts about harness seem to be

Been pondering this .... cos i do love a good ponder!

I used to have horses (had a thing about arab chestnut mares lol) i used to have to get some things specially made at the saddlers as this breed can be very very slight built neither pony size nor cob nor standard horse size .... i used to take the measurements in and ask for things to be made up from a template or drawing .... they do different types of leather different thickness etc etc for different things ... saddle leather can be either tough and thick or very subtle and soft flexible, some of the straps i had made had to be light weight and very thin but powerful enough to with stand a horse with flex and pliability..... now remembering another harness shown on here from the states it was leather but with magnetic clips (not idea) perhaps you could see if a saddler would design you a harness the same as the aviator one but in leather? Keeping the weight reduced via the thickness but adding the toughness they can stitch rather than pop rivet them.... or perhaps the pop rivet maybe a good idea if reversed through? Perhaps even a leather sleeve to go over the areas where your feathered friend likes to chew (sort of like a thin pliable tube so as to give you more time to stop the little rascal from getting too much damage done to the harness?

To think back how I used to towel and feather teather them before I knew better. I agree when I saw the leather ones on here thought that might be an idea.

Half my problem was him learning, having one with a weak join a couple slipped qc. Plus side also the reason he got out of the tree.

Thought of a few things my vague latest idea has come from looking at tracking. Always been intrigued by a live GPS tracker. I've actually thought I might chat to my vet. Keep wondering about a raptor harness seasonally, just the mount plate. Kind of want, whilst not wanted at moment could see how a tracker would be added safety. Then to find a way of connecting a leash though I suspect split ring would work.

Always wondered why there wasn't a harness made from the same material as the raptors.

Can say i have looked at the raptor harness for the gps trackers, think in my head discounted it due to weight and the fact that the beaks and intelligence being different that its not in probability going to be parrot resistant lol. I did ponder about the trackers for bats as a side line addition to a harness http://www.telemetrysolutions.com/pdf/FLR_GPS_Series.pdf and the coded VHF Beeper tags....but that's more of a locator back up thought rather than a keep harnessed bird thought ....

Certainly for a grey you can get the weight right down. http://marshallradio.com/eu/europea...y-gps-systems/item/619-marshall-gps-system-eu the only problem with the above is it uses radio to transmit. Which negates an urban environment needing a line of sight. The one you linked is a tracker I believe, no transmit. Think you had a maximum of 25 in a day vs on demand or more regularly(no GPS is truly live) not to mention capture to get data off. I've seen some the size of a lighter. I have to agree I'm just not sure a parrot would leave it alone. Rules out radio for me reckon they'd snip it off in seconds. Bit too expensive an experiment to try with the Marshall. The mobile ones are constricted to size by the mobile chip iirc and power, but don't have an external aerial. Just most solutions would fit into a mount plate why my thinking on testing a raptor harness. It's just the plate the rest seems quite unobtrusive. As you can tell I periodically look still waiting to see if we can get it yet smaller. I may see if my vet thinks a raptor harness could be worn and give it a try. This is normally the size with a mobile chip http://www.falconrygps.com/index-en-falconry.htm

But I do believe we've digressed but yeah something I keep looking into.

Back
Top Bottom