1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aviary Build 2017\18

Discussion in 'Housing' started by Yellowchickenparrot, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member Registered

This is the start of my autumn\winter aviary build which will be 18ft by 10ft, not sure on hight yet probably around 7ft high. Look at the mess!!! Big job right let's crack on.
    IMG_20170901_103053.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2017
    pepsirat, Shirley and KEV H like this.
  2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Ah well most good projects start off with mess first :thumbsup:

3. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Be great when it's done :thumbsup:

4. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Ooooo looking forward to this :)
    I hope your going to re-utilise that shed and make it a giant roosting hut.
    Could be a weekend job if you think it through ..... skip in, rubbish out, half a dozen fencing spikes, a few fence poles and then depending on what birds are to be in the aviary a couple of rolls of mesh .......
    I would seal the entire area in brick wall to brick wall leave the shed in the middle ....... bang on a safe entry and hey presto ........
    Saw one recently when somebody had slammed extra long concrete posts in to their garden perimeter, bolted cross beams of wood one to the next to give stability for the wiring and had beams from post to his house and had fenced the top and sides and made their entire garden an aviary looked rather good :)

Jeanette likes this.
  5. DizzyBlue

[​IMG]

Wouldn't it be fab to do it like this :) ooooooo if I ever win the lottery .... suppose I should buy a ticket!

pepsirat, Roz, Paulmandy and 4 others like this.
  6. Yellowchickenparrot

Ha ha thanks dizzy but the shed is being used for the garden tools and still needs to be in that area. I may make a bird room but and going to get it clear first and start the propper ground prep with drainage etc. I don't play the lottery but always wish I would win it lol.

7. DizzyBlue

you don't want garden stuff in the shed really ...just admit it!..... you know you wanna make it into a birdie room with a super-duper flight :risas3:

Shirley and Setanta like this.
  8. Yellowchickenparrot

Ha ha yeh if I had my way I would just net my whole garden. I will sneak in a bit of a bird room if I can

DizzyBlue likes this.
  9. Yellowchickenparrot

Update, I have been to the tip three times moved 6 pallets and three fence panels, lugged 140 real stone slabs round to the other side of my house and shoveled at least 1.5t of stone and soil. Still lots to do I'm filling in down the side of my house to make it level ready for slabs and running a power supply out ready for the bird shed. IMG_20170911_133850.jpg IMG_20170911_133916.jpg

Roz, TomsMum and dianaT like this.
  10. dianaT

Wow, a lot of work going on there.

11. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Phew.....cuppa needed ....or something stronger :emoji_coffee::emoji_beers:

12. Yellowchickenparrot

When a get the junk gone things will happen faster.

13. Roz

Roz Elected Forum Trainer Regular Member

You don't waste much time! That's a lot of clearing already!! :yikes: Glad I can just sit back and watch! :pancarta:

Yellowchickenparrot likes this.
  14. Yellowchickenparrot

First slabs going down to make an easy to clean level floor for the aviary. I'm building this mostly out of broken slabs and bits I have lying around from when I have been doing building work on the house. There is already some concrete floor there so I'm using the slabs to fill the gaps to make a good floor all the way down. The ground work is the slow hard bit and even slower with the amount of junk I have to move. IMG_20170912_143614.jpg

KEV H, Roz and TomsMum like this.
  15. dianaT

You are really getting a move on with it :thumbsup:

16. Yellowchickenparrot

Yeh I want to try and get it done b4 xmas, I can't wait to have a bird room to go and geek out in lol.

17. Roz

Roz Elected Forum Trainer Regular Member

Like the crazy paving. All looks very professional. :)

18. Yellowchickenparrot

I wouldn't go as far as professional lol I'm literally using scraps to build it.

19. Yellowchickenparrot

More really boring pics IMG_20170919_140525.jpg IMG_20170919_140552.jpg

dianaT likes this.
  20. dianaT

That is lovely, very nice. I expect you know to put some sort of mesh down the bottom of the shed part so that rodents cannot burrow & get in, but if not, then now you do!