Armpits

Lesley

Flint has always had quite baldy armpits (since I've known him), I noticed this morning though that they seemed even baldier than usual.

Don't look sore on anything though. Its the one place I can't get to with the sprays and the shower though.

Any ideas on anything that I could do to help stop him form over-preening that area?

mmmm - not sure on that one. I've been using the glycerine and rosewater in the spray and touch wood Elvis doesn't seem to be plucking the feathers as much. Could it just be with Flint that he is moulting? xx

He has been moulting a bit Ann-Marie, mostly smaller feather too - so yes could just be that. Just wish I had a way to get the spray onto the armpits!

I should really get him to the vet for his annual check up. I'm a bit nervous to go though as he'll put the pressure on to get a second bird. No bad thing - but I'm just not sure yet, but I am breaking the law :(

ummmm tricky one...to be honest I dont think the vet could do much to help anyway? Is that him in the photo? He looks great? If he is moulting you do find them preening inside the wings quite a lot, it must be irritating for them I presume? When I look under Echos wings the feathers are all small and white, do you see what I can only describe as a lambs woolly coat type of thing?

Just had a look at these under the wing and they are all very similar to how Squid describes at the minute - and all are moulting.

I always have my water spray at hand and when they are stretching I try to give them a quick blast underneath.

I mentioned above about Rosewater and Glycereen - for whatever reason it seems to get them much wetter and its really been making a difference with Elvis' feathers (he snips his feathers) xx

With Eric is sorta looks like a mini lambs wool coat, with Echo its those small white feathers that you see on the base of the belly? Where Eric picks you dont see much grey just white fluffy bits?

Ali you just described it perfect what i couldnt think of the right words..baby looked like the lambs wool thingie all over 4-5 weeks ago when she finally started moulting..thats gone better but yeah..its like lambs wool x

This photo was taken just when he arrived with us over a year ago - he looks sooo scruffy! But his underarms haven't changed much:

P1000614.jpg

Pretty bald I'd say.

ps that is him in my profile pic Squid :)

His outer feathers are lovely, but he gives his underarms and neck a bit of a hard time I reckon. Only ever looks like he is preening but he must not give feathers a chance to grow there.

I'm not sure about getting the glycerin and rosewater here Ann-Marie, be nervous I ended up with the wrong thing!

I use the aviy soother spray but can never catch him with his wings up!

yes I've used that stuff too. I was the same but as long as you get it 100% pure its fine xx

I think he looks like a right little scruff in that pic :laugh:

But I guess you are right, if its not broken or sore I shouldn't worry. I just hate that he does that to himself and wish I could do something to make it feel better.

I did email my vet today (not specifically about this) to ask if he thought I should bring Flint annually for a check up. He thinks if his behavior etc is unchanged and he doesn't have plucking problems then every two years should be fine. But he also mentioned the risk because birds hide their symptoms.

I think because of all the lifestyle and diet changes he has had over the last year I'll take him again soon, then after than maybe leave it every two years.

I don't like making him have anesthetic for no good reason though, its a bit of a dilema! I guess a full health check is a good reason mind you....

Looks fab to me as well, i would not worry yourself over it. Just spray him with some dilute cider vinegar and warm water just in case there is something irritating him under there :thumbsup:

Funnily enough, had him in the shower this morning and for the first time he seemed to enjoy it - kept his feathers lifted and even lifted his wings a couple of times!!

Afterwards he was properly flapping away and drying himself off :)

Normally he sits there with the feathers down looking miserable.

Anyway, it meant I was able to get some water under those wings - hopefully he'll continue to enjoy it a bit!

I think I'll have a look for the glycerin and rosewater and maybe give that a try as well.

Kerstin, yeah, lambs wool is the only way I can describe Eric..and its always little bits of "lambs wool" I see on the base of his cage when he has been picking..

Lesley, I still am debateable about spraying a bird regularly, I feel more inclined to entice them to either bathe themselves in a bowl under their own steam, or putting them outside in a summer shower...in the wild I dont think they would come across water very much? I do know that in the wild after rainfall they bathe in the puddles left by elephants foot prints, but its not a regular event, quite a rare occasion...and I am starting to question the theory behind spraying them? Eric baths himself, but Echo doesnt, so very occasionally I will spray her,,,,but I am still "so so" about doing it.

Thats interesting Squid, I always though that with central heating etc the air is dryer and they are subject to a lot less moisture than he would be in nature.

Thats why I though regular misting, spraying, steam from the shower would be good for them.

And sometimes he really loves it, like this morning - on those occations I think it cant be bad for him. When he isn't intersetd he hardly gets wet anyway as he just battons down the hatches and those feather provide very good waterproofing when he wants them to!!

I can see what you mean, maybe good not to be neurotic about it, but I think - for Flint its good to add some moisture regularly :)

Lesley. yeah. its a tricky one isnt it? At the end of the day i dont think its "harmful" spraying them so my concern is at a minimum, with a plucker I think we should put more thought into it maybe? It could be an important factor, or it could be of no concern whatsoever...I have tried spraying Eric on a regular basis and also not sprayed him at all and let him bathe himself in his bowl, I havent noticed much difference in his plucking behaviour at all...so I am still looking at the subject of spraying with an open mind.

I have to say i find if i don't spray mine daily then Jenny especially will pluck more :(

Back
Top Bottom