are bird backpacks safe?

niamhandori

so i’ve been trying harness training but i’m not very good at putting it on quickly. Isla gets to the point where she’ll happily put her head through the hole and and wings in sometimes but i can’t tighten it fast enough and she gets stressed. so i had to cut it off her today because she was getting spooked and tangled in it a bit. i’m sure if i tried i could have gotten it off her without cutting it. but she was too stressed and i just wanted her out of it. later when she was calmer and hours had pasted i took her outside in a carrier. she handled it well. she went in it fine and i sat outside with her the whole time. i’ve been given some more advice with that so that’s good! but i wanted to know are bird backpacks safe? i’ve always assumed they probably aren’t since backpacks for most animals aren’t safe but since birds are different to a lot of other animals i wanted to ask what you guys thought of them. ive attached few links to some and i want to hear your opinions on them.

Steve Ducks

Banned
I had one. It apparently originally cost £250+ extremely well made, very tough zips and anchor points if you wanted to add padlock security. The parrot I got it with refused to go in it. Sold it to @Michael Reynolds

I would say it’s like anything - you get what you pay for. You wouldnt buy a cheap harness but all such things and rucksacks will have vulnerabilities.

Scott199

ive seen people have success with these, seems to be a lot quicker and easier to put on.

niamhandori

I had one. It apparently originally cost £250+ extremely well made, very tough zips and anchor points if you wanted to add padlock security. The parrot I got it with refused to go in it. Sold it to @Michael Reynolds

I would say it’s like anything - you get what you pay for. You wouldnt buy a cheap harness but all such things and rucksacks will have vulnerabilities.
yeah i’m happy to pay for a safer and better one even if it costs more. i may try a cheaper one to see if she’ll be comfortable actually going in it. but not actually take her out properly in it

niamhandori

ive seen people have success with these, seems to be a lot quicker and easier to put on.

i might give it a go since it’s cheaper than the aviator harness which is a what i used. but it looks quite similar to it so not sure if it would work out

Steve Ducks

Banned

niamhandori

@niamhandori i think Celltei trade as Pak-O-Bird in the UK.
This as far as i remember is identical to mine
oh good! thank you for finding that i couldn’t find one

niamhandori

what’s the opinion on this one? i’m happy to pay for the proper one but if this one which is cheaper could work and do well that would be good.

Michael Reynolds

Yes as far as I know I have not herd any one complaining that they have had problems. I have not used the ones you show to give a personal opinion the one Yav have shown the babies use they will sleep in it at night and if I have to go out for any length of time they will travel with me, all I can say is they like it I have three of the harness jackets for the large macaw, my macaws do not seam as comfortable using them and will refuse most times but I have no problem with the aviator harness

Top Bottom