1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Knows Breeder Supplying Conures/quakers Near/in London?

Discussion in 'Parrot Breeders' started by brogax, Apr 13, 2019.

1. brogax

brogax Regular Member

Have had my ringnecks for a while now and love the company of theirs, so looking to expend a little and get an additional bird :)
    Looking for a conure or a quaker near/in London asap

if anyone can suggest a breeder or a shop that sells these please let me know :budgie:

learnt a lesson by buying wild indian ringnecks from a ''breeder'' over gumtree, marketed as tame, took a year for them to get comfortable with hands after lots of biting they like some cuddling now

2. brogax

brogax Regular Member

@dianaT

sorry for tagging !

You helped me a lot before was wondering if you could help me out this once again :)#

Does this look like a healthy baby, i have no experience with the younger babies - just wanted to ensure that this looks like a healthy one - contacted seller and apparently this one is ready to be rehomed, hand reared

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Michael Reynolds and dianaT like this.
  3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Does the seller say how old the bird is...still looks a little young in those photos, a few thin/bare patches where feathers not yet fully developed...or plucking?

Make sure the bird is fully weaned and if you do go ahead, make sure you know what food formula they were using (most reputable breeders will give you some anyway) just in case there is any regression.

brogax likes this.
  4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi
    What a dear little bird. Do check on it's age and whether it is now fully weaned as Tomsmum has mentioned.
    Do you intend to let it be with your IRNs - only that may not work they may attack it.

Offhand I don't know of breeders in the London & surrounding areas any more, Dr Dootlittles shop in Streatham High Road may be able to recommend one, although it's many years since we had contact with them. Also don't forget the Parrot Society and their monthly magazine where breeders UK wide advertise, you have to subscribe to them to receive the mag but well worth it. You can do it on their website.

Do keep us up to date.

brogax and TomsMum like this.
  5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

There is a shop in Snodland Kent. near the railway station that normally have them. Just off the A2, I know a few people whom have bought there birds from them and they all have been happy.

brogax likes this.
  6. Michael Reynolds

the chick in the photo at he time of it being taken looks so young and sweet, I will think its still being weened at that time

brogax likes this.
  7. brogax

brogax Regular Member

@Michael Reynolds @dianaT @TomsMum

Thanks for your help, I actually went ahead and called him - went to view it and ended up picking it up :) they're extremely tame which is really nice, owner compared to the last one seemed genuinely caring for these rather then trying everything he can to get rid of it

I have some questions if you guys dont mind

the seller isnt a breeder this is his first babies, seemed well taken care off regardless.

1) the little bird does not wanna go off me, if i let him in cage he goes to top of the cage and waits for me to perch on and then sleeps, not in the cage.

2) he's 8 weeks, when can I introduce seeds in the diet? seller told me but as he isnt really a breeder I wanted to check first with you all

3) any tips for conures???? baby conure 8 weeks old according to seller, what food to give? Im buying formula as they are still feeding him with it and also they told me to mash peas/corn for him any other ideas??

[​IMG]

cazimodo, Michael Reynolds and dianaT like this.
  8. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Oh what a cutie, have you chosen a name.
    Best continue with what the breeder has been feeding for now, perhaps add in a piece of millet spray, then eventually a good seed mix and diced fruits & veg so it can pick them over. I am sure others with conures will be along with advice.

Michael Reynolds and brogax like this.
  9. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

He is cute!

I’ve never had a bird that young, but would go with as Diana suggests ...I’m also going to tag in @Stinkie who has a little conure

I would say do keep trying to get him used to being in his cage, it’s lovely that he is so tame, but you want him to gain some independence and get used to amusing himself and being on his own too, otherwise you may have the little one permanently attached to you, which isn’t good for either of you!

In this post
    https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/parrot-books-looking-for-a-new-home.34853/

I’ve some conure books, I’d be happy to send them to you if they would help?

brogax likes this.
  10. brogax

brogax Regular Member

Haven't got the name yet still trying to find one :)

Have not seen a more cuddly parrot in my life :Lovebird:

He does nibble on my hands and sometimes his bites hurt equally to Ringneck because he pinches very small amount of skin :emoji_fearful:, assume this will stop once he is a little older because he/she is trying to pinch my hand a lot !!!

any tips on toys at all? unsure if this could be moved into a different thread as I already bought it and I think im in wrong thread asking for help :oops:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  11. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

If you are still hand feeding the little one you need to keep a very close eye on the weight to ensure they don't loose weight suddenly.

You really should not have been sold a bird that still needs hand feeding as selling unweaned animals is illegal.
    What formula are you feeding and how often?
    Are you syringe feeding or spoon feeding?
    Is the little one eating anything independently?

TomsMum, Michael Reynolds and brogax like this.
  12. Michael Reynolds

Diana has given the best advice, all new foods should be introduced slowly starting with soft foods and millet but I would also say keep to mainly the baby food for another ten to fourteen days,

brogax likes this.
  13. brogax

brogax Regular Member

Yes he is, he's eating mashed peas and corn - he said he keeps syringe feeding them because they really want it but they can be independent now - how long do usually birds need to be hand fed ???

14. brogax

brogax Regular Member

Thanks ! - they've been fed with Kaytee Exact Hand Rearing Food, any clue if this is a good formula? they gave it for me for a few days but looking to purchase one immediately ...

I was told they can eat off a spoon but suggested to get a syringe if I was to feed them any idea if pets at home stores them? looked in amazon and nearest delivery is on 4th May, lol.

Also their nails are quite sharp, any suggested perches? my ringnecks nail seem huge compared but they dont scratch so badly my hands :confundio1:

15. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

I must admit I do not like kaytee but if that's what they are used to then I wouldn't change it now.
    I also would not advise syringe feeding unless you are experienced. I would use a spoon.
    You should be able to buy the handrearing formula from most pet shops. Youll probably fins the small indepedant ones are better than the large chains.

16. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Our conures were eating independently when younger than yours and were more or less weaned by that age. We got them at around a month old, and they had to be spoon-fed to begin with - they were never syringe fed so far as I know. By eight weeks they had a food bowl in their cage and were generally helping themselves when they felt hungry. We were still offering them some spoon feeds but they didn't really need them and preferred to peck at the food, hence it being put in a bowl in their cage for them to eat themselves. If he is used to being syringe fed, spoon feeding might help him to move on to eat more independently, as he will be able to taste the food better and take a more active role in consuming it by pecking at the spoon - this is more or less how ours learned to begin eating for themselves.

I don't think they were eating many seeds at eight weeks, and didn't really know how to take the husks off to begin with. I would suggest introducing him to seeds of a larger type that you can shell yourself and offer these without the husk if you want to get him eating seeds at this age. It's doubtful he will be happy with dry pellets yet even if he does eat independently. If you want to move on from the hand rearing formula I would suggest moistening and perhaps mashing some pellets to put in the cage for him - make sure they are reasonably moist and soft before offering them so that he can deal with them more easily, and don't leave in the cage too long or overnight as germs will grow on these quicker than on dry pellets. The bulk of the diet ours were eating at 8 weeks was moistened, mashed pellets taken independently in their cage, with a certain amount also taken via hand feeding via a spoon. They also enjoyed slices of apple by then, and had begun to take slices of raw carrot. Only one was eating seeds.

Ours liked to sleep on me at that age too. It is very cute, but I agree that it is a good idea to get him used to being in his cage and entertaining himself, as over-bonded conures that want to be glued to you all the time (and will bite/scream at you for disobedience) can be rather a nightmare when you have something else to do! Or even when you don't, but don't particularly want to be bitten/screamed at either.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  17. Michael Reynolds

Keep to spoon feeding, keep a close account of the birds weight, Not many shops will keep the feed in stock you may find it better to purchase through the internet parrot suppliers on a next day delivery so you do not run out.

brogax likes this.
  18. brogax

brogax Regular Member

Thanks for the help, will try the spoon feeding :)

& Yes, he/she is eating as he is hungry from a bowl so guess thats a good sign.

Any suggestion for toys/foods to offer for conure?

also, is there a way to tell conures sex or is it same story as with indian ringneck and need to get dna tested ? - just curious cause of the names, got a little sister already throwing girl names this way but we dont even know the gender

19. Michael Reynolds

Most conure's can be sexed (not all species) just by there looks and or colour variations and even shape, but I think they have to be a little older, now I will admit I find it hard to tell them apart although if I see a male and a female next to each other I can normally tell what sex they each are, there are breeders that can tell the sex of there birds from quite a young age,

brogax likes this.
  20. Michael Reynolds

you can try names like Sam that can be for either sex.

brogax likes this.