1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Attractive Safe Drinker For An Aviary?

Discussion in 'Housing' started by sunnyring, Jun 11, 2019.

1. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

my aviary gang have a plastic plant saucer and a poultry drinker. it works but not exactly attractive.
    I would like something that looks good, is none toxic and big enough for cockatiels, zebs, budgies and odd tiny chicken to drink from it and take an occassional bath. and not earth shattering expensive.. anyone found anything like that?
    there are some very pretty concrete baths but I am dubious as to the safety regarding chemicals leaching out and also think could be tricky to clean properly.
    starting to look at ceramic roasting trays now as figure at least won't be poisonous ... or has anyone found anything better?

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

can you get one of the concreat bathes and find a china dish that will fit inside?

sunnyring likes this.
  3. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

don't really want to go there as bound to be water finding its way between dish and concrete and that would go manky quick and be hard to clean.. (and I do not fancy dragging a concrete bird bath out of aviary to bleach it out lol)

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  4. Michael Reynolds

i can understand that, i have seen plastic ornamental shaped bird bathes for the garden but i never noticed the prices.

5. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

they are cheap enough but are they safe? I worry with plastic whether they release chemicals as degrade. different with garden birds as I suspect if the water tastes nasty they will just clear off but my aviary gang are reliant on me providing safe and have no other options. pet/wildlife products do not have to be safety tested ..

6. Michael Reynolds

it is light and ornimental but i will still recomend using a dish or a bowl china or stainless steel that can be taken off to clean properly, plastic is esy to wipe and clean

7. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Depends on what you have in mind …..

Could get a fancy glazed on from B&Q but they are £25 and if necessary pop a few pebbles in the deeper area if you have youngsters to make sure they don't get into mischief in the deep end
    https://www.homebase.co.uk/39cm-glazed-birdbath-blue_p498242
    0097fcd1-19e0-4452-96b2-3956495e8423.jpg

There are some nice glass ones on stands around at the moment obviously suitable only for the lighter birds like tiels etc not sure of the depth but did see them in my local garden centre for under £20 they come in multiple colours from poppy designs to peacocks to flowers and butterflies...
    You can find them cheaper by shopping around on the internet... this one is £10. Glass bowl is heavy enough and sits on top of the stand but it doesn't clip into it if you know what I am getting at.
    https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/hummingbird-birdbath-bird-bath-7641507
    hummingbird-birdbath-bird-bath-35cm-wide-50cm-high-P-2609440-7921392_1.jpg

RSPB do a floor standing ceramic one but hmmm for me am not a total fan ….. and its £26
    https://shopping.rspb.org.uk/bird-baths/echoes-ceramic-bird-bath.html
    r402039_c.jpg

You could makeyour own ..... pop to the garden centre or somewhere like that buy a large terracotta plant pot under dish you know the ones that the plant pot stands into. You could then just purchase four small terracotta plantpots and stand the large dish on top or indeed buy just one large fat plant pot and balance the dish on top. I dislike the plastic ones as too thin to perchon the sideof and way too easily flpped over trapping a bird underneath if it does flip unless you place a large stone in the middle to hold it in place.

@sunnyring

Kendra and dianaT like this.
  8. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Or perhaps something out of poly resin so easy for you to handle, a tad splash of colour but also has a wide enough base to stop it toppling easily by the looks of it?! Not a bad price at £15 if you fancy something with a splash of colour but haven't looked at the delivery costs and may well be available elsewhere cheaper ….
    https://www.fashionworld.co.uk/shop...details/show.action?pdBoUid=9196#colour:,size:
    k12tn923500s.jpg

For me personally I am still the plant pot terracotta dish tendency indeed I believe they come in ceramic colouration too ….

9. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

oooo i really like that blue glazed one from Homebase.. shall have to see how money is looking.