1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ammie Owners

Discussion in 'Holiday Homes For Birds' started by Jeanette, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Jeanette

Jeanette Regular Member

Hi everyone
    I currently have Boo Boo a 2 yr old yellow crowned amazon to get sexed very soon think male Boo boo is very tame and bonded with me although he will interact with our IRN sometimes and my partner. Boo Boo is not left on his own as my partner works from home and I spend nearly every weekend house bound as I like to spend time with Boo Boo. I was wondering how long if any you leave your Ammie alone for whilst out and whether you have ever left your Ammie with family Whilst going on holiday did you have any problems. I went on holiday last year with my family but my partner stayed at home with Boo Boo we wud like to get away together at some point in the future but only if it won't cause too much stress to Boo Boo if it wud we wud rather hire a cottage and take Boo Boo with us. Your thoughts gratefully appreciated as I think I'm suffering with some separation anxiety at the noment with Boo Boo and don't like leaving him when not at work which clearly is not sustainable for the next 50 or so years. Many thanks in advance Jeanette

2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Jeanette, Chiko our Yellow crowned is 2years old, and we've had him since he was 4 months old. We also have a blue crowned Conure who is 28.... they have separate cages in our lou he, and separate out of cage time, as the Conure can be rather nippy. I'm usually at home and my hubby is some days too as he doesn't work full time. There are odd days that we both work together, and the birds will be left for 10 hours, we always leave the radio on, so that there is some background noise, and to help mask any sudden noises from outside. They both have toys in their cages, but I know that they don't tend to move around very much, or do much when no one is here. When we both worked full time we had a red loved Amazon and our Conure and were out for 10 or 11 hours a day.

Chiko is a real handful as he's into everything in the house, remotes, furniture, curtains and poles, the piping on the sofas, pictures the mirror, etc....so when he comes out for his playtime, we try and do at least 2 hours, it's a major covering up exercise first. He has a ladder from his cage up to the top of the bookcase where he has a big cardboard box, and he has various things to swing on hung from the ladder and balls to play with and fling off from his box, at the opposite end of the room, is his java tree, with various toys on. I try and get him to fly a lot and swing around, and climb, so that he is exercising when he is out, not just sat still. We don't take him into other rooms in the house, as he gets into everything, perhaps when he is older he might settle down a bit,

We don't have family, so no one to take care of them for us. Haven't been away for 3 years, the lady where we used to take our birds is getting older and doesn't drive now, which makes it tricky if vet is needed. I have found a professional parrot holiday home about an hour and a half away, and they are booked in there for a week so we can get a break. They operate very strong bio security and we had to get up to date disease testing done. The two ladies that run it are lovely and adore parrots, so I am confident our two will be well cared for.

I have often wondered about hiring a cottage and taking the birds, but never really come across anywhere that specifically allows birds...alll the pet friendly holiday sites I've seen just talk about dogs, cats and horses.

They do adapt to changes of routine, especially if you introduce it gradually.

3. Jeanette

Jeanette Regular Member

Hi TomsMum
    Thank you, I think we have spoilt Boo Boo by never leaving him alone and having him out of the cage all day he goes in just to sleep and occasionally play as he has too many toys and adventures outside of the cage! the most David and I have ever been out together is 3 hrs and we couldn't wait to get back to the birds. David is home all day so he has started going upstairs for an hour or so for Boo Boo to get used to us not always being at home same as Chiko Boo Boo doesn't move a lot when we r not about. We are starting to do this as our IRN is poorly and won't always be around and he has been with us since Boo Boo was a baby and even though they don't preen each other they do play together in their own way so we trying to prepare him I guess for when the dreaded day arrives. I have seen a nice boarding place also in Cheltenham 2 ladies and was considering that when we eventually do arrange to go away was just anxiuos about leaving Boo Boo in case he got stressed as I didn't think parrots liked change but then so many different things u read I wud rather ask others who have birds what their experience has been. Have you been able to harness train Chiko as Boo boo is having none of it yet :(. Jeanette

4. TomsMum

I can certainly recommend the ladies in Cheltenham...the boys haven't stayed there yet, but I've been to visit, and they are lovely and the setup is very good :thumbsup:

Jeanette likes this.
  5. TomsMum

No I haven't done harness! Chiko was unwell about 6 months after we got him and needed a lot of vet care, so his training did take a bit of a backwards step! TBH I wouldn't like to try him outside here as there are so many seagulls, crows/rooks and buzzards...something is bound to spook him. He comes in the garden in his travel cage and there's plenty of room for him to fly circuits indoors!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Jeanette likes this.
  6. Jeanette

Jeanette Regular Member

That's good from what I've seen and read online it does sound ideal and I was also going to do a visit before confirming. Boo Boo just loves to fly so being able to get him out would be great but just in case he doesn't take to the harness we are having an extension built just for the birdies and off that will be an outdoor aviary custom built I think we are going to try avifabs as recommended by Bob. I certainly know how new moms must feel when they have their first baby I worry and stress so much over ensuring that Boo Boo is happy.

TomsMum likes this.
  7. TomsMum

Lucky birdies :budgie:

Jeanette likes this.