1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Parrot Needs A Forever Home

Discussion in 'Rehoming' started by Jodie, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Jodie

Jodie Registered

My lovely parrot hasn't had the greatest start in life :( she was mis treated and used for breeding and spent all of her time in a very small cage!!! She ended up being rescued and being an absolute animal lover I took her on. I have never had a bird but I did some research, went and brought her a nice sized cage and she learnt how to play with toys for the first time. After taking her to the vets they predicted she was a girl around 5-6 years old with no health issues. She was so nervous when she first came to me and growled and made a lot of fuss to get away from me. Now she makes a lot of noise when music is playing! And she accepts monkey nuts and apples (her favourites) from my hand. She likes to sit on the top of her cage and relax. Sometimes she flys around and lands on the curtain poll but very rarely and once I wheel her cage back over she goes straight back on it. not having nay bird experience I haven't had the courage to try and handle her or I've just got the impression she likes to do her own thing which has been fine by me, if she gets a little to noisy (although she usually does her call twice a day morning and night) if you cover her up she's a good girl that quietens down. Due to expecting a baby and moving house I am looking for someone who has time and patience to make a real good friend out of her and be understanding if she would like to live her life eating her fave foods, sitting on the cage and not being handled. She just wants a loving home so she can be herself and not pressured into anything she doesn't want to do! I live in the south east London area and if you think you could adopt this shy girl please get in contact.

2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Jodie and :welcome: to the forum, sorry it's because you are feeling you need to rehome your Amazon girl.

You've given a good description of her...but could you advise if you are looking for payment for her and whether she will come with her cage, etc. This will help members in deciding if they can help.

Also if you can pop up a photo of her, so members can see which sort of Amazon she is.

3. Jodie

Jodie Registered

I have attached some pics of her
    She comes with her cage and accessories.
    Please contact me with an offer you would like to give to adopt her I am very open. Thank you for looking and considering a forever home for this lovely girl x
    IMG_1817.JPG IMG_1816.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
    Michael Reynolds likes this.
  4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi welcome from me too. I am soryr you have had to join under sad parting consequences though.
    Perhaps you can also let members know where you live - which part in the UK.
    Our @ladyc may also be able to offer help as she is a trustee of a reputable rescue.

5. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

@dianaT , Jodie does say she is in SE London area.

6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello Jodie welcome to this lovely sight well not the best of photos but it looks like you have a lovely orange winged amazon well first of all congratulations are in order regarding expecting and the new move. I could offer you a different alternative than just having to say good bye. I can look after her for as long as you need but she remains yours and if you find you can have her back I will return her. this can be a forever home if you fill that you need it to be but I will support you and help you with her and train you to be more confident. I live in Kent but frequent the south east London area often as I have my family there. I do not pay for birds but will give them a happy home and good veterinary back up. I also take on birds for ladyc whom if you decide to use her then I would most likely pick her up any way. I am well known for the work I do for parrots and the love and care I give them. you can read any of my posts of the birds that I have taken on like Charlie, Buster, Max and Mo to name a few. I was so pleased that you had taken on this bird in the first place and this is why I would love to help. whilst she is with me I will class her as mine and treat her the same as my own flock.

7. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

That is a very good offer from Michael, you have the chance of having her back when the time is right or leave with him and he would let you know how she is going on.

8. Jodie

Jodie Registered

Hi everyone thank you so much for you replies! Michael thank you so much for such a kind offer! Not having to say bye to her would be perfect! My house circumstances are unknown as yet, but as I have other pets I doubt so much that a parrot will be allowed in a private rented place :( plus I don't like the thought of her having to be covered instead of doing her natural call. I live near Sydenham, do you know it? If in the future I move again and she is allowed to join me I would love to have her back. Is there a time frame on this? Although of course if such a long duration passed I wouldn't want to disrupt her life of she's more than happy. I'm sure any place wouldnt allow her due to the neighbours and landlords etc :( but I can keep hope! And the thought of having updates on her is great, the thought of saying bye was really sad. She is a little funny with male family members that visit, which could be related to her past, but I'm sure showed the right love she can overcome this? Do you agree? Will she be kept inside? And will she be let out to sit at the top of her cage to relax? I take it by your other parrots that the noise isn't an issue? :) I just really want her to be happy and I so grateful for your offer, thank you so much! Jodie

Kendra likes this.
  9. Jodie

Jodie Registered

I forgot to mention will she be alone or with other birds? As I mentioned I am not clued up about birds at all, do they prefer to be around other birds? My home is very quiet, and she's very calm almost all day. My puppy shows her a lot of attention and she doesnt seem one bit scared.. she's more scared of me :( do you think she will be ok with a male and learn to trust you? You did mention a lady.

10. TomsMum

Tagging @Michael Reynolds

Hi Jodie...Michael will reply as soon as he can he may be working at the moment.

11. Jodie

Jodie Registered

Thank you :)

My parrots claws for the last two days has been stuck on a few occasions on the bars!? I have had to use tweezers to unwrap the claws and she was very scared this has never happened at any time in the past?

12. Michael Reynolds

Hello Jodie well I do live on my own with my birds and just read your last message that I will reply to first. It may be owing to the claws getting long and need trimming this I can do and also get her bloods and calcium levels checked as quite often the sudden growth may be due to diet and the lack of the bird being able to absorbs the correct nutrients. well yes she will live with other birds and I will spend time making certain she remains happy. the Lady you mentioned is ladyc she helps run Safehaven Parrot refuge whom will find great homes for parrots and adopt them out to homes that pass all the checks and give support.

13. Michael Reynolds

I am well known and you can ask about me at the pet shop whites in the main road they will vouch for me and my knowledge of parrots. Sydenham I know extremely well I was bourn there and my mother (the peacock lady) spent a lot of her life just in Hazel grove. I only have birds but live on a farm so noise is no problem and I get the birds out in there cages in the garden as often as possible and give them a lot of freedom in my home and one to one time introducing birds of different species and even the same species is something I have been doing for a long time.

14. Jodie

Jodie Registered

Hi Michael, thank you for your replies! I think she would be very happy with you! My only worry is that she is very nervous around males, do you think she will be ok to overcome this? Do you do her nails your self? The vet really struggled with her when she got checked over she's so nervous. I am thinking his is the ideal opportunity to keep updated on her and be able to see how she is like you said with the possibility of having her back. I feel so abon her to change what she's adapted to but I'm sure she will be fine. I was hoping to move out around Nov times if that's ok. But due to her nails I'm Thinking maybe we should arrange this earlier for her to come to you? Can her nails get a lot worse and cause injuries? Thank you again for your offer, Its a very hard situation, Jodie

15. Jodie

Jodie Registered

Also apart from her unknown past she has been here alone with any other birds, do amazons Usually prefer the quiet life or to be around other birds etc and that kind if environment

16. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

From what I hear of Michaels care she will be absolutely fine. They do surprise us in a different environment.
    I expect he will be on-line later he is probably working @Michael Reynolds

17. Michael Reynolds

Hi first of all if you want I can come to you and check and trim the nails if they are needing. there are very few birds that dislike other birds around and the way I work with them introducing and training I have been successful settling in birds of the same and different species. I have a secure phone that will not allow unknown callers to come through so I am happy to put my no for all to see. it will only allow calls that have the callers no and you will be asked your name. it will pass that to me so I will call you back and add you no to the allowed list. Admin have no need to remove my telephone no :- 01732 834904. @Jodie

18. TomsMum

Ok Michael if you are sure :thumbsup:

19. Michael Reynolds

Some of my flock have freedom all the time some are out while I am in and others get time out with me and full one to one or more. I do not believe in them being left in cages all day Charlie my other OW is trusted and is never caged unless he is in my garden. It takes time for most birds to learn to trust and I do not expect her to trust me at first although this dose happen its not the normal reaction of an amazon. 006.JPG

20. Michael Reynolds

Its ok Charlie is so happy with his boy friend Pringle whome recently injured himself and Charlie had to be kept separate. this affected him and he showed it by plucking his feathers on his chest but they are happily back together 006.JPG this is Charlie and Prigle together in the garden I call them the odd couple

dianaT likes this.