Amazon Aviary Parrot

Imran Ali

A few days ago I bought an Amazon parrot, it is 1 year old but the problem is that it's been in the aviary and now that it's huge case nd next to humans... It goes crazy when u sit next to it... Or even speak to it...I was wondering of this is normal ... What would be the best method to get it used to humans...

The problem is you...you are scaring it...poor bird.

If it was an aviary bird sharing with another Amazon or as part of a group, it's no wonder it objects to such close human company. It is not a good idea to buy an aviary bird at that age and expect it to turn into a companion bird overnight. You have a lot and I mean a lot of trust building to do. You need to read carefully the pinned topics in the training section on reinforcement.

You must stop trying to approach the bird and scaring it like that. You must only approach very slowly to the point where the bird starts to show discomfort, then you must retreat. It will take a long time for the bird to get used to the new surroundings, if it ever does. Make sure that the cage is against a wall on one side, and partially cover part of the cage with a cloth, so that the poor bird has somewhere to retreat to where it feels it isn't being threatened.

You have to be kind to this bird and give it time and patience and not cause it stress. If it is one year old, you will also have the additional challenge of hormones coming to the fore as it approaches two. Is it male of female?

Hi, Good advice given. It is very rare an aviary bird will become a 'pet or companion' bird. In my opinion it should live it's life with more of it's own kind in an aviary. But if you do wish to try and calm it down and get used to a home surroundings you must have a lot of time and patience to do this. It will take a long time and you must not startle or frighten it. Sit close by don't stare at it, talk quietly - read a book out loud. Go slowly, walk slowly and so on. Offer some favourite fruits and nuts slowly and gently, but it will take a long time. Can you post up a photo please.

The problem is you...you are scaring it...poor bird.

If it was an aviary bird sharing with another Amazon or as part of a group, it's no wonder it objects to such close human company. It is not a good idea to buy an aviary bird at that age and expect it to turn into a companion bird overnight. You have a lot and I mean a lot of trust building to do. You need to read carefully the pinned topics in the training section on reinforcement.

You must stop trying to approach the bird and scaring it like that. You must only approach very slowly to the point where the bird starts to show discomfort, then you must retreat. It will take a long time for the bird to get used to the new surroundings, if it ever does. Make sure that the cage is against a wall on one side, and partially cover part of the cage with a cloth, so that the poor bird has somewhere to retreat to where it feels it isn't being threatened.

You have to be kind to this bird and give it time and patience and not cause it stress. If it is one year old, you will also have the additional challenge of hormones coming to the fore as it approaches two. Is it male of female?
It is a male

You need to feed a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit particularly those high in Vitamin A, and reduce the amount of fat in the diet, by limiting the amount of sunflower and safflower seed in the seed mix, and no peanuts.
Do you have the DNA test results or did they just tell you it was a male?

You need to feed a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit particularly those high in Vitamin A, and reduce the amount of fat in the diet, by limiting the amount of sunflower and safflower seed in the seed mix, and no peanuts.
Do you have the DNA test results or did they just tell you it was a male?
I got a dna test cerficate

Just noticed a whole millet spray in the cage too....this isn't good for an Amazon either, by all means offer a small amount as a treat but millet is known as calories without content....i.e. Little vitamin or mineral benefit, and as Amazon's need a low fat diet, better as I said previously to feed more veg and fruit. Hasn't he got any toys to play with...the sooner you introduce things the better it will be if he is to be a companion bird.

Just noticed a whole millet spray in the cage too....this isn't good for an Amazon either, by all means offer a small amount as a treat but millet is known as calories without content....i.e. Little vitamin or mineral benefit, and as Amazon's need a low fat diet, better as I said previously to feed more veg and fruit. Hasn't he got any toys to play with...the sooner you introduce things the better it will be if he is to be a companion bird.
Going to get new cage today and get gona neww toys

It's a lovely yellow crown but more than a year old I would say by the "adult" eye colour, please take the advice to partially cover the cage the back and no more than half of the sides, it would be helpful if you could get the cage up higher than on the stand as the bird will be frightened by you looking down on it.
Also not sure if mentioned but talk to it a lot and do not make direct eye contact as this will be seen as a threat by the bird, good luck

It's a lovely yellow crown but more than a year old I would say by the "adult" eye colour, please take the advice to partially cover the cage the back and no more than half of the sides, it would be helpful if you could get the cage up higher than on the stand as the bird will be frightened by you looking down on it.
Also not sure if mentioned but talk to it a lot and do not make direct eye contact as this will be seen as a threat by the bird, good luck
It was born last year in September

Well if that's what the paperwork says! But I'm of the same opinion as Marley ...looks older than that especially with such well developed red flashes on the top of the wings.

I wonder at the people who kept him in an aviary with other birds and then thought it was acceptable to sell him as a companion bird. :( I can't help but feel sorry for the little guy.

I really do hope you have the compassion and patience to help him get comfortable with his new life. If it is your intention is to keep him as a companion bird I am sure people on here will be able to advise you.

I wish you and the little guy all the best.

I hate to disagree,however some years ago hand reared was not possible to buy.All birds were parent reared and were imported.Many of these birds soon became tame and talking.
Sadly now patience seems to have gone and everyone wants a tame bird from day 1.All I can say is when all the breeding birds have gone where will these hand reared pets come from?

Back
Top Bottom