Always watching

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Just like in my house! :eek: sometimes I feel I am being stalked as I always feel I am being watched by sneaky peepers!

JackAndRob

Staff member
We cannot eat anything around the birds.

Last year, with my first Jardine, Jack, he flew down and plonked his feet in a rather nice rice stir fry that my wife had made. I managed to lift him out before he ate any of it and it wasn't hot enough to injure him, thankfully. From that point onwards, the birds were locked in their cages at meal times!

We do like to eat in the living room. I know it's lazy, but the birds have their evening meal in their cages at their time, so we are all together. It is the quietest time of the day ;)

Tonifrax

We cannot eat anything around the birds.

Last year, with my first Jardine, Jack, he flew down and plonked his feet in a rather nice rice stir fry that my wife had made. I managed to lift him out before he ate any of it and it wasn't hot enough to injure him, thankfully. From that point onwards, the birds were locked in their cages at meal times!

We do like to eat in the living room. I know it's lazy, but the birds have their evening meal in their cages at their time, so we are all together. It is the quietest time of the day ;)
I eat in the living room just because my kitchen is so small. It has a bar stool and a bit of worktop to eat at but thats about it. If I am eating and Ollie is out I just make something he can eat too and have my actual dinner later on so he doesnt feel left out and guilt trip me with the stare 😂

JackAndRob

Staff member
We make a fresh fruit and veg chop in the morning. Half of it is served in the morning, along with dry mix (Tidymix for budgies, AS30 for the other two), pellet and water. In the evening, they get the rest of the fruit & veg, plus some finely chopped veg mixed with beans and pulses, brown rice, oat bran and rolled oats. The fine mix is the one that keeps them quite - they love it.

The bean and pulse mix is cooked/boiled in advance and frozen in small ziplock bags as portions. A quick zap in the microwave then the other ingredients can be mixed in. The ingredients are suitable for all of our birds.

Tonifrax

We make a fresh fruit and veg chop in the morning. Half of it is served in the morning, along with dry mix (Tidymix for budgies, AS30 for the other two), pellet and water. In the evening, they get the rest of the fruit & veg, plus some finely chopped veg mixed with beans and pulses, brown rice, oat bran and rolled oats. The fine mix is the one that keeps them quite - they love it.

The bean and pulse mix is cooked/boiled in advance and frozen in small ziplock bags as portions. A quick zap in the microwave then the other ingredients can be mixed in. The ingredients are suitable for all of our birds.
I give them all chop and sprouted seed/legumes in the morning and then more chop later on. My parrotlets get pellet and tidymix too and Ollie eats some tidymix but he wasnt on pellets so ive ordered for him. They occasionally get porridge, scrambled eggs, brown rice etc with veggies mixed in. Ollie likes the occasional boiled egg yolk. Ive been making up some stuff for him during the day just to try figure out what he likes best. Apparently he used to eat meat and fish... Ive never given a parrot meat or fish before as it was my understanding that it wasnt a necessary part of their diet or natural for them to eat that. Not that he will find bowls of porridge or boiled eggs in the wild 🤣

JackAndRob

Staff member
Steamed white fish, chicken and boiled egg whites can be used for protein. Not sure about yolks. Not for our Eclectus as they are supposed to have a low fat diet. You can provide crushed up egg shells as they are a great source of calcium.

I am not sure how much if this is actually necessary and I don't know enough about a Grey's specific diet to say how beneficial they are, however, in moderation there are many things that will add interest to a diet and do little or no harm.

If an avian vet recommended supplements for protein, calcium, etc, I'd discuss with him/her the possibility of using natural sources rather than pills and potions.

Tonifrax

Steamed white fish, chicken and boiled egg whites can be used for protein. Not sure about yolks. Not for our Eclectus as they are supposed to have a low fat diet. You can provide crushed up egg shells as they are a great source of calcium.

I am not sure how much if this is actually necessary and I don't know enough about a Grey's specific diet to say how beneficial they are, however, in moderation there are many things that will add interest to a diet and do little or no harm.

If an avian vet recommended supplements for protein, calcium, etc, I'd discuss with him/her the possibility of using natural sources rather than pills and potions.
He gets vitamin supplement and calcium because he had a deficiency in the past which led to a problem with his leg and was seen by a vet. He gets a piece of boiled egg but he tends to go for the yolk. He will eat scrambled egg too though

JackAndRob

Staff member
Do you have an avian vet that you can discuss this with?

You have been told a lot about Ollie's history, but It is probably worth reviewing his dietary requirements and any supplements that he is currently on with the vet that will provide clinical care for him going forward.

You know the importance of a good balanced diet and know what providing it entails. Sometimes it is worth discussing that with the vet and occasionally challenging their advice when they suggest supplements.

I did something similar with our avian vet. He'd already said that our birds were all in great condition, but he recommended a pellet diet. I asked why I would do that when I was providing a very broad selection of fresh fruit & veg, among other things, and could reel off a long list of items that we were using. He conceded that what we were dong sounded fine.

I am not saying that supplements are not necessary, but I do think that they need to be justified.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
@JackAndRob I did the same with my avian vet ... actually have done it with a number of them over the years especially when I can rattle off more things like their needs for additional stuff than is in the pellets anyway.
And when one mentioned peanuts which isn't in the Deli Nature food I feed anyway and I said ooo there's a pellet without them in that you can recommend the conversation ends there :rolleyes: problem is that a lot of products that they have on their shelves they get commission on in selling rather than evaluating the person before them and what they are feeding :BangHead:

Tonifrax

Thank you, I do have an avain vet and I will seek further advice. Honestly I put calcium in my birds water on occasion but ive never used vitamin supplements before because I give such a varied diet with a lot of veggies containing vitamin A which is what he was deficient in. He is quite picky but I have been getting around that so if he is eating what I give him he shouldn't really need to be supplemented but I will enquire

Top Bottom