1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alot Of Ringnecks

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by tracyd, Sep 12, 2017.

1. tracyd

tracyd Regular Member Registered

Hi everyone,
    Most days I have a search through the birds ads just too see whats available and two just too be nosey, there is one thing I am seeing all the time is year old or older Indian Ringnecks for sale. There are loads of young ones for sale too in all their various colour mutations, but it is the older birds you see so regularily. It got me wondering to why? Are these birds too much too handle once they get older or just not what the owners thought they would be or just not suitable as companion birds. I have a parent reared 5 and a half month ringneck, who is a real poppet and getting better everyday. I have just started his training proper and hes doing well. He is fully flighted ( as is my Amazon), and he has a fly around the living room a few times before going back to his cage.
    I bought him because I had read in several books that they made nice companion birds although not a bonding type, and would need constant training and handling to keep them tame even if they were handreared. That does nt bother me as I have all day everyday to spend with them both.
    He has a large cage that he happily plays in and has even started to make noises and whistles now too so he must be happy. he eats everything and anything I offer him, except dried cranberries not so keen on them.
    For me hes been a really good choice and I am so pleased with him, so I cant understand why so many people are getting rid of them, yet loads of people are breeding them as companion birds.
    Are they suitable? are they better off in an avairy? I would be interested too see what you all think. No matter what my boy is staying, I know they are an active birds which is why he gets the oppurtunity to excercise everyday,( I lock the front door and close windows, so no one can come in unexpectedly,)
    Do people who buy them as pet birds find them not suitable? I dont know, but I am very happy with my boy.

pepsirat likes this.
  2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

I think people are misled and buy them thinking that they do make good companion birds, whereas they can be quite difficult to train and easily revert to 'natural' behaviours, as you point out where the owner spends a lot of time they can make very rewarding companions, as demonstrated by several members here who have them.

There do seem to be a lot for sale...I often wonder if some are taken from the wild and breed on to make a buck or two.

dianaT likes this.
  3. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I agree, also I think some are of a different temperament and best suited to aviary life.

TomsMum likes this.
  4. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

I had a pair & had to rehome as my long suffering husband could not take the noise any longer. the female was relentless and the pitch really went through you. my family are all convinced that is why so many feral- reckon fed up families of ringneck owners 'accidently' let them go when noise sends them to breaking point. I could cope with the continual shrieking but it really felt like torture to my husband & dog used to hide as far away as possible too . the male was a lot quieter but the hen unstoppable. I get the impression they are easy to breed & fetch more money then say cockatiels so I think thats why so many around. adverts usually describe them as tame parrot ready to start talking & ideal pet so lot of people get conned into expected something v different to the loud tricky creature they get

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  5. tracyd

I have too say Widget at the moment is only just started too make noises so not that bad, but saying that I fostered a cockatoo for 10 months and boy was he loud!
    My amazon I have was given up because he was noisy and screamed but since I have had him he's been fine apart from the normal morning and evening chorus.

6. tracyd

I think I have been lucky so far with Widget, who seems too enjoy life, and I do spend along time everyday with them both. I am disabled so I am home all the time. Having trained birds of prey for many years before I lost my legs, I know the amount of work you need too put in with a bird too achieve results, and having fostered parrots too, know that it is really you get out what you put in. Widget may change as he gets older but I believe that with continual training as he ages he should stay a amiable bird.
    And I agree that these birds may be the easy cash maker, and it's a shame that it's happening especially for the birds.

dianaT and TomsMum like this.
  7. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

Also all the videos you see on Facebook and YouTube they go viral, it's nearly always a ringneck talking in that really cute voice and kissing a teddy or another ringneck
    Everyone comments "aw I want one"

I think people get them and are disappointed when they don't talk or talk as well as the famous ones do, and they're not particularly cuddly types either

Right now that Caique video is going viral, the one where he's stomping his feet all around the room, it's come up on my news feed at least 20 times
    People see these videos and go and get one, little do they know all the hard work that parrots are, before that 20 second clip is recorded

8. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member Registered

Very true heather YouTube is a big factor in the sale of unwanted pets of all types these days, people just don't know the truths about the animals they want just because one looks cute,funny, on the internet doesn't mean they all are. People have know idea the time that goes into a parrot, dog etc to make them well trained.

pepsirat, TomsMum and dianaT like this.
  9. pepsirat

pepsirat Regular Member

I agree people get pets not knowing what to expect. People think parrot will just do all the things the birds on youtube do without putting the work in.

10. mama_hill

mama_hill Regular Member

They're cheap, brightly coloured & bigger than a budgie or cockatiel. That's why they've become so popular. people like the idea of owning a parrot, see a ringneck, think that's not much money, I'll have one of those.
    They're also better suited to aviary life, difficult to tame & keep tame and can be very loud. It doesn't take long before they realise this isn't the all singing, all dancing parrot they were expecting and so it goes back on the same selling site it came from.
    Does my head in it does.

Heather2131, TomsMum and dianaT like this.
  11. Clinton

Clinton Regular Member

i also agree mine is absolutely not interested in being friendly so its going to find an aviary home somewhere

mama_hill likes this.
  12. mama_hill

mama_hill Regular Member

Yep, I took one in as a rescue years ago. She was better off with me then where she came from but she needed an aviary. I had originally intended on keeping her because she was so damaged & but i couldn't meet her needs & i would only make her worse. I took a long time to find her an aviary home that I was happy with.
    That little bird broke my heart over and over again.

13. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Ringnecks are common for sale as they are quite easy to breed and may have more than one batch in a year. there are also people capturing feral birds and then selling them on. these birds do need a patients and understanding person to be able to keep them from becoming wild. they are a popular parrot after videos showing how they can become of all my past birds the ringneck Beryl has been my biggest loss and I am missing Pringle since he flew from my home. these birds are special and once gained trust can be the most loyal of all parakeets. they are popular and not expensive to buy.