Aloe vera

JackAndRob

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Posting on an introductory thread about Eclectus parrots prompted me to add this one. Sorry, I forget who it was, but someone (Wendy?) recommended aloe vera to help with skin irritation at moult time. We took on that recommendation and bought Fushi branded organic aloe vera liquid.

The main reason why I am posting this is that unfortunately, the Fushi website always seems to be out of stock - it's a popular product - but I did find the same product on Amazon and with Prime delivery, it was the same price (£11) for 500ml. It can even be delivered same day if ordered before midday.

It has to be filtered if used in a spray. I used a paper coffee filter and it seems to work well - no clogging of the spray. We mix it half and half with water. Once the bottle has been opened, it needs to be stored in the 'fridge, where we also store the mixed spray.

Our Eclectus Frankie gets a proper shower soaking once a week, but we mist him every day to encourage preening. We start with water and when he opens his wings, we then use the aloe spray. We only give a light aloe spray as it can build up on the feathers making them look quite dull. With his wings open we can focus the spray closer to his skin, which is where it is needed. We don't worry about the spray being cold (from the 'fridge) as it is such a fine mist that it will very quickly warm to room temperature as it hits the air. It certainly doesn't seem to bother Frankie.

Frankie plucked his feathers when with his previous carers. Thankfully, we have seen no evidence of that since he has been with us. His new feathers are coming through and we're doing what we can to encourage him to keep them - the aloe vera seems to contribute to that.

Hi, it wasnt me but I am a believer in Aloe Vera as a calming and soothing balm. It is worth getting the pure stuff even though it can be expensive. Aloe gel straight from the roken leaf of the plant is useful too so a good plant to grow.

Thanks Wendy. The Fushi stuff is as pure as it can be. Taken from the inner part of the leaf which is the most beneficial. There are lots of floaties in the liquid, so it does need filtering, especially if used as a spray.

I grow my own its easier and cheaper.... Just pick a couple of fat leaf chunks peel it and squeeze it and add it to luke warm water then give it a shake up and use it. I at the very least know its fresh, its totally organic as I know what I give the plants and its there if I want it and when I want it. I have three plants in the bathroom because Tuppy took a massive liking to trashing it lol and as soon as she came out daily she'd be over at the plant dragging huge lumps out and throwing it everywhere soil and all lol.
The problem with a lot of the Aloe Vera products that you buy is that even if it says organic or natural or whatever you have to look at the added ingredients as very very few of them are actually neat a lot of them have added things like alcohol as a preservative which will actually dry skin and irritate it on animals like parrots. So even though good enough for humans you have to make sure its up to spec for the animals.

That sounds great :) although expensive
I bought my aloe plants for under a £1 each of the original plants I bought via a car boot and one from the local garden centre .... had them quite a few years now so was defo a good buy for me :)

I am pleased that Aloe Vera has helped, I do use it with alternate spraying with just water on most of my flock about twice a week, I have to get another plant or two as I left the bathroom door open and lets say it got a little chewed up

Back
Top Bottom