1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

African Grey

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by Anthony Loft, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Anthony Loft

Anthony Loft Registered

hi againeveryone, I have found a 2?year old African grey which he says has a closed ring on , but no paperwork, I won’t go in to the reasons for the sale but I am going to look,, can any one give me thoughts on this , I have a history with budgies as a breeder and showing them but my knowledge with African greys is limited

2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

You cannot purchase it...and if they are selling it they are doing so illegally, without CITES Article 10 paperwork

lucy cherry and Michael Reynolds like this.
  3. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I will advice you not to buy this bird the owners will need to register the bird with DEFRA first

4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The owner can gift it to you, they need to get a gifting certificate which is easy to do, then they must give it free of any money. If they want money for it as has been said they have get get the appropriate paperwork from Defra, which isn't that expensive.
    A thing to bear in mind is it a pet bird or an aviary one.

Anthony Loft likes this.
  5. Anthony Loft

Anthony Loft Registered

It’s a pet one complete with cage and toys , he has split with his wife it was her bird he says she got the bird when it was 13 weeks old but there is no paperwokthanks

6. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aww bless poor bird. Well all he has to do is contact Defra https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/endangered-species-declaration-of-a-gift-or-loan
    Tel direct 0117 372 3700 (if this is wrong contact maybe @DizzyBlue @TomsMum will put us right)
    I expect it can be done over the phone & payment too.
    But I am sure I read recently if a Grey is not going to be bred from it is not required, but knowing me I probably got the wrong end of the stick.
    They will put you right anyway. Good luck, let us know.

7. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yes do give the DEFRA helpline a call.
    If any money is changing hands for the bird, or associated items than that is considered as Commercial and will need the Article 10 paperwork, otherwise the bird can be gifted to you, but will need the gifting paperwork completed.
    Please try and ensure as best you can that this chap is authorised to pass on the bird, if it is his partners bird.

8. darrendiver

darrendiver Regular Member

its a bit like buying a car off a guy with no log book and with out the owners permission

TomsMum, DizzyBlue and dianaT like this.
  9. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Also please be advised not only is it a criminal offence for the person to sell without the correct paperwork and also a criminal offence for anybody to purchase without the correct paperwork you also CANNOT do what some people try to which is sell a cage at an inflated price and give the bird to the person inside the cage free of charge .. DEFRA / CITES are wise to that particular scam and redid their clauses / laws to incorporate that little idea that people thought they had at getting around the issue
    Do it legally and no fear of huge fine and the bird being confiscated
    @darrendiver I like that description :) tis a good one

dianaT and darrendiver like this.
  10. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

OK the way around this is to offer the owner help in getting him to register the bird and pay the small fee to get things sorted and then buy the bird when the paperwork has arrived . it what I have advised others whom have found an unregistered article 10 species and wish to own it.