advise/help or your opinion please

Scott199

I all.

This is so hard.

Please could I have some advise/help, as most of you know we have a safe-house rescue CAG, id appreciate just advise please, I may not be perfect but I am trying the best I can.

Now here comes the bit I'm really, really struggling with.

Bert has been up for adoption for a month/6 weeks or so now, I sent in the report one night after a week of me thinking I wasn't capable of doing this and looking after him the way he deserves, I know he's had quite a few applications, no idea if they are suitable as I don't see that info, just seen a lot saying they have applied for im.

now my real dilemma.

I really love this little guy, he makes us laugh daily, he seems happy and content (I think), he whistles and chats to us constantly, I would say apart from a few things he's probably about as near as perfect for us as I could imagine a bird could be, he's my mate, my little buddy and every time he does anything its like a Christmas present each time, I pretty confident if he goes we wouldn't get another.

he's clean and tidy, we do as much as we can for him, I almost change his paper each time he poops, he's cleaned daily, and stripped and cleaned weekly and bathed, I give him the best food I can, he has 2 x different pellets, fresh cut veg daily, avi cake, 3 different types of nutriberries, fresh nuts, palm nuts, sprouted, I rotate all these daily to give him as much variation/nutrition as I can (even though he still ignores it :roulette:), we interact with him nearly all day, he may spend a few hours hear and there on his own if we go shopping or out but he always has a radio and tv left on for him.

Now my problem is, im still scared, well not scared but very nervous of him, im happy to give him treats, no issue going in his cage, no issue touching him slightly, but im still very nervous of that beak (its stupid I know but I just can't seem to overcome it and let him put his beak on me) I can touch his beak and give him tickles when he lets me but im still quite twitchy), all this is in or on the cage we've come to an understanding what be gentle means and he pretty much always does it, sometimes he gets a little exited and tries to grab or nip/bite (don't know which as I don't leave my hand there to find out, but a quiet be gentle and he 99% calms down and I can touch his beak again)
now i'm not terrified of him I can stand 6-8" from him when he's on his cage and chat, im happy to go in his cage when he's sat of he door perch, I generally don't mind his beak being a few inches from my hands (not my face though, not that brave yet), I can target him around mostly anywhere, I absolutely fine giving him nuts and such from my hand, I generally break them down into 5-6mm pieces, cashews get broken in half, then each half split into three so i'm not overly concerned from that point of view (when we got him id give him half a cashew so my fingers were far apart)

So as i'm still nervous and very worried I can't control him, he doesn't get as much out of cage time as he deserves, maybe an hour to two a day, weekends 2-4hrs if possible but not always

I feel really bad about this everyday, to the point its actually making me sad the little lad can't be out exploring and spending time with me doing everything, if I could id take him everywhere with me, at the moment I wheel his cage around as much as I can, if i'm in the garden he's with me, if I could get his cage in my car he come there too,
i'm not rich by any means but ok money wise, so vets/toys/treats what ever really and such would not be an issue, id like to get him a bigger cage and maybe one day build him a little aviary out the back (if I learn to get him to a point I can move him around somehow)

We have two small dogs and although nothing has happened and they don't take much notice of him, I would still not let them be near each other, he's been out of his cage quite often with them in the room but i'll only let this happen if there is two of us in the room, otherwise they get shut out, which isn't fair on them either, Bert spends most of the time just sitting on his cage, but now he's climbing down and exploring more, its getting harder to do.

So even though I love him to bits, maybe the right thing would be to let him go somewhere where he can be out more, somewhere he can be happier with someone that has more confidence and will take him further with stepping up and being with them more and being able to free roam.

I've been pondering this for weeks, and I know its a bad time but this has halted any adoptions and this allowed me more time, this has made it even harder to decide.

im really struggling, part of me says, let him go to a home he can grow to be the fantastic little fellow he deserves to be, but the other half is really struggling to let him go.

obviously I can apply to adopt, its not a guarantee i'll get him, but in my mind moving him again would be more stress for him.

so what's your thoughts, is this fair on him, can I ever give him what he's deserves or is what I can offer enough ??

if you need more info then please ask as id like you to have a full idea before you add a reply.

dianaT

Staff member
Well in my honest opinion he sounds like he has settled at yours is getting into a routine, and not all birds are out of their cages for long and sadly no many even every day.

Who is to say that if he gets adopted to someone else he will get more freedom? he may not step up for someone else either, he is as he is, but with lots of time and patience could well surprise you one day.

If in your heart of hearts which I think it is from how you have written about him, you would like to adopt him then go ahead.

As for taking him outside, you may in due course be able to purchase a smaller cage or a travel cage that he can go in which would be easier to handle.

As for exploring indoors have you a stand he can go to, as they are easy to make either a floor standing one or table top size.

I've no idea whether what I have said helps and of course it is your decision....but don't make one that you will regret.

CaptainHowdy

You've come really far with the little one in the time you've had and it sounds like He's settling in well with you.

The decision is yours at the end of the day but to me it sounds like He's landed on his feet at yours.

There's no guarantee you'd get him but I can't see much point in them moving him from yours to go elsewhere.

Scott199

Well in my honest opinion he sounds like he has settled at yours is getting into a routine, and not all birds are out of their cages for long and sadly no many even every day.

Who is to say that if he gets adopted to someone else he will get more freedom? he may not step up for someone else either, he is as he is, but with lots of time and patience could well surprise you one day.

If in your heart of hearts which I think it is from how you have written about him, you would like to adopt him then go ahead.

As for taking him outside, you may in due course be able to purchase a smaller cage or a travel cage that he can go in which would be easier to handle.

As for exploring indoors have you a stand he can go to, as they are easy to make either a floor standing one or table top size.

I've no idea whether what I have said helps and of course it is your decision....but don't make one that you will regret.
who takes him is another part of my concern, i'm hoping/assuming the charity will do everything required and make sure he has the best of everything, to be honest, even if he does go id still support him if he ever needed anything.

as for the cage, his cage just about sneaks through the doors, but I purchased a kings travel cage day 1, im still yet to get him in it, but im not going to lie I haven't tried yet, I put it in the window behind his normal cage and he uses it as a little stand, I don't have a play stand yet, partly as im worried about ending up with loads of stuff if he goes but partly as I can't move him to it and because of dogs I don't feel safe leaving him alone.
IMG_0015.JPG

I do understand how you fill Scott, you have impressed me so much with your honesty and the want to help your bird,
Thank you, it is a real dilemma, well in my little world anyway, I know in the grand scheme of things this is a little trivial.

You've come really far with the little one in the time you've had and it sounds like He's settling in well with you.

The decision is yours at the end of the day but to me it sounds like He's landed on his feet at yours.

There's no guarantee you'd get him but I can't see much point in them moving him from yours to go elsewhere.
Thank you, I just want what's best for him.

I can only echo what others on here have already said. Bert seems to be settled with you. From what you've described, you're providing for him well and properly. He'll be used to the routine. As for being nervous of him, that it's something that can be worked on. I can no longer just go up and cuddle my 9 year old macaw, who we've had since a baby, as he will 8 out of 10 times give me a nasty bite. I've just had to accept the fact that I've got to be 100% aware of him. I've had to learn to work around it, so I still interact with him, but differently. I give him treats on a spoon so he can't attack my fingers for example. I hold my arm slightly away from him and tell him to jump, making a game of it, so that he doesn't take another chunk out of me if he doesn't want to step up. When he allows me to have a cuddle it's all the more special. What I'm getting at in my own way, is just because he may not be super cuddly and you're nervous, doesn't mean he's unhappy.

Kendra

He has only been with you max. 6 weeks? that is no time at all and often takes months for everyone to settle with each other.

Dusky a CAG I am still, after 4 years, not too sure of but he really is a man's bird. If you really do love him and are prepared to work with your fear then in time things will work out. You do not know what happened before he came to you, what sort of life he had and taking a rescue is a sharp learning curve.

To be honest from what you say he has decided he is staying with you, so do you have any choice?

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

I would say keep going - I sit here with our little Dora latched onto my knee (having been clamped to my shoulder this morning) - OK so she isnt a CAG but all the same we circled one another for many months before we built up trust - she would sit as far away as possible on my leg / foot and look at me with suspicion. I was scared to handle her (still prefer not to pick her up, and thats OK as she will come to me willingly). It actually took me a long while not to react to her putting her beak forward, and i now know her body language well enough to realise what she will do - these days mostly she taps on me for attention or caresses me with her beak, still sometimes get caught out with the Sennie chew/bite though!

dianaT

Staff member
I think what many folk forget is when a parrot steps up they usuallu put their beak onto your finger/hand etc to steady themselves and often we think they are going in for a bite - well maybe sometimes they do, but mostly it is to steady themselves.

Scott199

I think what many folk forget is when a parrot steps up they usuallu put their beak onto your finger/hand etc to steady themselves and often we think they are going in for a bite - well maybe sometimes they do, but mostly it is to steady themselves.
yes 100%, my heart knows this, my head won't let me believe its not a "chomp" but i also know, well think 99% of his movements are calm and relaxed and he just wants to "test" the skin coloured thing near him.

Scott199

I have feelings of guilt with Eddie, and she has been with us for 12 years.. the first few years she hardly came out because we were all scared of her beak! I am still the only one who handles her, as both my husband and daughter have felt her wrath. I think you have done amazingly well, would be a shame to lose it now xx
thank you, the thing is, i only ever see these adorable, perfect birds and that makes me think Bert needs all this, but then you hear real life stories like yours and realise, as with everything, what you see and hear is only normally the great things, its nice for you to comment.

plumsmum

Hun you have had him six weeks, no time at all. I am still learning, reading my two after two years. The fact the charity has halted adoptions to give you time indicates they think you are good. You could go ahead and adopt, if it is the one I adopted Lou from then the birds do not belong to you ever, they belong to the charity and as such always go back there if necessary. You have had several thumbs up from some very good and trusted people on here and I'd like to add mine! :)

Oh out of cage time, quality not necessarily quantity. Plenty of in cage activities can be fine.

plumsmum

oh just one more thing, well two really . . . "So as i'm still nervous and very worried I can't control him," huni we never control them, they are sentient, intelligent parrots and what happens is trust, love, respect. If you have these then they are more mindful to do what it is you need. Choice is always important, they are not puppets. BTW my Rubes still unfortunately spends a lot of time in her cage, she will never manage to fly in the house safely, scares easily and just launches, no pre flight plan which usually ends in trouble. She is well loved and spoilt rotten with toys and I will explore an outside flight for the future.

Just a light hearted version of showing how we don't control our birds, they tolerate our requests..... Routine in our house is they both come out whilst we tidy up, change the water and prepare their foraging breakfast tray. 99% of the time, the second they see their pellets and pine nuts going into the tray, they scoot straight into their cages and wait for the food. Today was a negotiation day. Basically their expressions said "come on, we all know you can do better than that", and they won't move until you've traded up with a treat! Today I only needed a hazelnut, other days it's taken a walnut plus a bonus cashew before they'll shift themselves!

Top Bottom