1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Re Food

Discussion in 'Food And Diet' started by Yellowchickenparrot, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member Registered

I have Basil and parsley growing in my window sill in the kitchen is this ok to feed?

Roz likes this.
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Parsley ok don't know about Basil.

3. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Roz and TomsMum like this.
  4. Roz

Roz Elected Forum Trainer Regular Member

Great info @DizzyBlue - thank you!

Dinkum the budgie LOVES basil - eats it every day. My other budgie, Boo used to adore parsley. Strangely none of the bigger guys are keen on herbs, but I keep trying. Do tell us if Ringo likes either. I do remember that parley acts a bit like spinach in that it contains oxalate which binds with calcium making it unavailable for absorption by the body. In moderation it's fine.

5. Yellowchickenparrot

Ringo is a veg freak he loves his greens, can't find much info on basil I don't want to give it to him unless it's definitely ok.

6. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Oooo I love a great foodie debate and ew don't seem to get many of them these days
    Oxalates .... almonds, cashews, millet, carrot, blueberries, blackberries, papaya, brussel sprouts and the devils own plant broccoli ALL have oxalates in them at a higher level than parsley and basil would have to be eaten fresh in large quantities to be considered a moderately high container of it.
    It's like everything really too much can be bad for you no matter what it is and the same goes for our feathered masters.
    Moderation, moderation and more moderation, variety is the spice of life :)
    When Henni last did the mutilation job on herself I was shocked that she was having drugs vet prescribed that I had when I did my back in and her dosage was massive! But as the vet reminded me she has a faster metabolic rate than I do and was able to tolerate, use and bin off more than I could even though I am in ratio size wise comparison larger than she is.

What information are you looking for on basil?

Basil – It has long been considered an anti-depressant, commonly found in a variety of treatments for diarrhoea, intestinal parasites, fevers, and skin infections and also referred to as having outstanding properties for being a bug repellent! Contains large quantities of E-Beta-CaryoPhyllene (BCP).

7. Yellowchickenparrot

Ringo is a greens lover and I'm trying to find the best greens that he can have without causing any problems if he has a lot of them. Dandelions are his most favourite, I have a massive Basil plant and want to feed him some but worried they might not be ok as I can't find much info about feedings them to a parrot. I'm worried the is getting to much oxalates from his green leaf intake.

8. Stinkie

Stinkie Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Give him access to a big cuttlebone :)

9. Yellowchickenparrot

He's got one and he chews it lots