Advice on rehoming

kay

Hi All

I’m after a bit of advice, a local pet shop have put up a notice for a Parrotlet that needs rehoming, me being me rang them straight away and offered to rehoming him.
Rob and I are going to see him either this afternoon or tomorrow morning but does anyone have any advice?
If we bring Albert home how long do I need to keep him isolated away from Zippy and Billy?
He will obviously have his own cage and not mix with Billy or Zippy but I just wanted to see if anyone has any advice pls on when rehoming a new bird.

thanks

Kay x

CaptainHowdy

I quarantine mine for between 4 - 6 weeks depending. I get them to the vet as soon as possible for a full checkup and I always have blood work done for psittacosis and pbfd as a minimum.

If any bird in that time, new or old, falls ill, wait until they are well again and have finished any treatment, and start quarantine again from day 1.

I would also advise having a change of clothes and sorting your current birds out before going into the little one. I keep a spray bottle of f10 for spraying myself down once I've finished in the quarantine room. Try and quarantine in a room as far away from your current pets as you can if you can't quarantine in a separate building.

kay

Thanks for the advice I will give our vet a call tomorrow. We have been in and met him, he’s come home with us and has moved into my hubbies office away from the lounge where Billy and Zip live.
He’s so tiny bless! Not tame but they said he has a lovely temperament, leaving him alone to settle after the car journey but he needs some toys and things to play with as he doesn’t have much. Also need to sort his heavy sunflower seed diet out!!
His owner sadly passed away poor little man!
3F33CF8E-9497-47BA-BE24-ACF1C305FC5B.jpeg

kay

Just thought I would give you all an update, Albert is settling in well, loves his fresh fruit and veg which is a big relief as his diet looked awful! Full of sunflower seeds!

He’s getting braver venturing out his cage, Rob leaves his door open on his cage when he’s working so Albert can come out whenever he wants. Loves to sit on the mirror and keep a close eye on what Robs up to. Still very timid with us but that’s fine we are taking baby steps.

We have added lots of things to his cage for him to play with, his favourite is definitely his swing, he loves it.

Kay x
A4AC9949-45D7-4F6F-85C3-9B3B87AE1C71.jpeg

Top Bottom