1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice On Behaviour, Feeding And Training

Discussion in 'Training' started by Louis, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Louis

Louis Registered

Hi All,

We picked up our new friend a green cheek conure called Benji last week.

The last few days when we've been eating dinner, he's started to jump around his cage and flapping his wings to get our attention.

I leave him until we finish dinner then he happily comes out, climbs around his cage and plays. Sometimes he ventures down the floor and has a walk about.

When he's on the floor or top of his cage he happily steps up onto a perch (when he wants to, most of the time)
    He's definitely not scared of the perch and at one point he sat on my arm chewing at my jumper.

I just can't seem to get him to eat from my hand. So I can't begin to train him.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

He's doesn't seem to be nervous at all he's just doing what parrots do and is being stubborn

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi, I would find out what his favourite treats are and offer those, it may be a certain fruit, or a nut perhaps an unsalted cashew, walnut, almond etc. That would be a good start.

3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

4. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Hey Louis! :welcome: Why not let him out whilst you are eating? Parrots are flock creatures and love to do things together including eat. You and your partner/family are his flock now. Sounds like he wants to join in! Might be a mess but if you can save some healthy morsels for him, he might be inclined to take food from you.

He sounds adorable, and that he has settled in quite quickly. Are there any toys he especially likes? You could also gain his confidence by offering foot toys that he's not afraid of. Pieces of balsa wood, or a bit of cardboard or paper etc. Literally just gently playing with him.

Re the treats, watch what he goes for in the food bowl first. These will be his favourite items. Try removing them from the bowl and offering them by hand. Or if that is too scary for him right now, drop those morsels in his food bowl when you pass by his cage. You can also work on having him take food from you through the cage bars... that will offer him some security. Or you could bring his cage to the side of the table whilst you are eating and offer him some interesting things like a carrot stick, piece of broccoli, a pea, etc. from your plate.

What are you feeding him? :)

Michael Reynolds likes this.