Advice Needed.. Marley Spent Like Misting Or Bathing

andy6699

Registered
Hi guys it's been 3 weeks since I got MARLEY and bath time is a nightmare. I try and mist spray her twice a week but she hates it so I don't do it for long. Don't think she's getting wet enough to have the desired effect she did try going in her water bowl and bathing but it's close to cage corner so I was worried she would hurt her wings so I tried putting a bowl in bottom of cage but she doesn't like new things so she wouldn't go near it' I don't want to stress her out what can I do??

Hello Andy well many birds are not happy with bathing at first, but you will need to make it a fun event. spray so the drops fall from above her, dance and act excited and silly, but its not until she gets soaked that she will see its a great thing to do. most of the birds I take on are not used to regular spraying and I have overcome nearly all of my flock and bath time is one time they all look forwards to.

One of mine hates being sprayed and will scream but he loves a bath
The other loves being sprayed and doesnt seem to know how to bath properly in water

So I put a cat litter tray in the bottom of the cage and he baths there, if yours wont go down to the bottom you can buy a large bowl and attach it higher up in the cage if thats what he prefers
Mine always tries to bath when we start hoovering so that may encourage your bird? Seems to be quite common

I don't like to cage mist/spray as everything gets soaked and cages can rust too easily even powder coated. Our first attempt at a bath for Rio was a 2' square shallow tray large Macaw size and we placed it on the living room floor and put in about an inch deep of tepid water, well he loved it, not so much us though! water went every where, talk about cages getting we when mist/spraying the living room was far worse off after his bath. We needed another option.

I constructed a shower perch as we have a large walk in shower and this is how his shower time ritual goes,
He steps onto my hand from his cage perch we go through the living room door, slowly, as those doors are quite scary, up the stairs and into the bathroom I then have to put the scary door into the hole and once that has gone all is ok, I put the lid down on the toilet (for safety) I then place Rio on top of the shower cubicle while I prepare his shower. Moving his shower perch (which is attached with suckers) across the middle of the shower and then running the water though till it's tepid (our water is fed from tanks and not heated as used so there is no risk of hot water scalding, apart from anything I'm constantly monitoring direction temperature and pressure) Whilst all this is going on Mr Rio is running around the top of the cubicle testing all the top with his beak then moving around to the mirror to say hello to the other bird also about to take a shower, if I haven't moved all human shower gel and shampoo containers out the way before hand these all have to be chucked on the floor.

Anyway as soon as the water comes on it's W-hey wings out get me on my perch I lift him to his perch then direct the water on to him the shower head mists or showers he seems to prefer the shower rather like rainfall he has a good soaking his body language tells me when he's had enough and I lift back onto the cubicle top where a good old flap gets some of the water off then back downstairs to his cage perch and he has a blow dry from a small fan heater on low which he absolutely loves I don't dry him completely I let him do the natural preening to finish off, just make sure he doesn't get chilled at this time of year. I love the feel of his feathers after a shower and they shine even more.

The first few times he was a bit unsure until he got used as with all new things but now Sunday is a ritual and also mid week, if we get the chance.

Those doors are another thing.

Thank for all your replies I will try the bowl in the cage again if not I will keep misting her I know she don't like it but it's got to be done

I am having similar issues with Jardine Jack. He'll stick his head in a water bowl (a very large ceramic salad bowl) and shake his head, but that was only after I play with the water with my fingers to make it splash a bit. It was easy enough to get him into the bathroom and turn on the shower, but as soon as the water touched his feet, he flew out of the bath. Still work to be done there.

Our budgies rarely use the bath that is offered daily, so we use a Hozelock pump-up spray at least once a week. It provides a consistent spray and it is easy to aim when the birds are moving around. It holds enough water to do the whole shower session without refilling. Atomised/misted water cools very quickly, especially at a range of 2-3 feet, so we fill the sprayer with water that is quite warm - almost hot - then test it by spraying it on to our hand before directing it on to the birds. Chilli, loves it. He stands on a low perch, excitedly calling for more, but Basil and Pepper hate it. It's a real dance getting them properly wet. They all perk up after a shower though. They appreciate the benefits, but two of them hate the process!

I am yet to try the spray on Jack. It will be coming next (take note, Jack!).

Spraying most of my flock every other day I do not often use warm water but prefer water at room temperature and most birds at first do not like spray until they start to get soaked, spay up in the air so the water falls like rain, I always act excited when I first spray my birds and treat them after to encourage them and not see spray as a punishment.

For my boy Rio a B&G Macaw I constructed a shower perch from plastic pipes and relevant corner/T-bar connectors and purchased suction cups from Amazon and stuck it on my shower wall tiles.
Most shower heads have different sprays I found the mist worked best initially working up to shower once Rio was used to it. As with all desensitising it was bit by bit even opening and closing the door was scary to start. Now I can take him in I place him on top of the cubicle while I prepare, he runs around the top throwing out shampoo bottles I've yet to remove and then round to the mirror to have a chat with the other guy getting ready for his shower. During this time I've turned on the water I prefer to use my skin as a temperature guide and I use the method if I can feel no change (that is the same temperature as me) then I have it very slightly cooler. Shower is set so it covers one end of the perch and place Rio on the other end he then makes his choice when to shower under. I constantly monitor temperature and the rest of the household is under strict instruction not to use water while he is showering. Once done and sometimes I have to move things along a bit by actually spraying him with the shower head just to make sure all his important places have had a wash.
Shower then turned of I place him on top of the cubicle where he flaps like made to shed as much water and then back down to his cage to dry, the warmer weather naturally the winter with a bit extra blow heat which he quite likes I don't want him to get chilled, I always shower him in the morning so he's fully dry by early pm. Warning if using a blow heater to dry then be aware cage bars can get vet hot so not too much heat warm air with movement is best.

My jack had his first bath this morning. What got him in the mood was a "rain sounds" soundtrack played from YouTube. There are loads on there.

He isn't a scaredy bird. In the short time that we've had him he's been up for just about any new experience, mostly with huge enthusiasm. I had the feeling that when he hasn't tried something, he just didn't want to at the time. It was the same with bathing - he just wasn't interested. Now he's done it, and thoroughly enjoyed it, I think he'll be fine. He enjoyed the gentle blow dry too and that was probably his first experience of a dryer.

Back
Top Bottom