Adoption interview

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
Also i didnt ask much questions about the bird because i couldnt think at the time and there was a lot of info on the website but is there specific questions i should ask? I have the email address for the person i spoke to. @Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds

Questions I would like to hear asked Would be to do with what is known about the bird, plus its likes and dislikes and has there been any know medical issues in the past, Did they do a video link?

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
Questions I would like to hear asked Would be to do with what is known about the bird, plus its likes and dislikes and has there been any know medical issues in the past, Did they do a video link?
No was just a really long phone call. Just questions about toxic foods, diet i would feed, how much time out of the cage he would get, where i was going to put the cage and if i would cover it at night, if id have him out with my other birds, where I live etc. I know he wasnt treated well in the past so is wary of people but says he sits on his safehouse dads shoulder. She told me he was quite timid but had settled in well with them

Michael Reynolds

the questions that would not please me are Dose it Talk and is it friendly. as I will only say if it did talk then it may not in front of you and if it is or is not friendly will be up to the time and effort you will give to help your bird to trust you. I used to spend a lot of time interviewing as I wanted to know that the bird will get the correct care and love, I take a bet you have forgotten half the questions you had been asked.

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
the questions that would not please me are Dose it Talk and is it friendly. as I will only say if it did talk then it may not in front of you and if it is or is not friendly will be up to the time and effort you will give to help your bird to trust you. I used to spend a lot of time interviewing as I wanted to know that the bird will get the correct care and love, I take a bet you have forgotten half the questions you had been asked.
To be honest i get nervous on the phone anyway and i really wanted to do well so i drew a bit of a blank on things i should ask as i was worried about answering there questions properly. I did say that i didnt mind if the parrot talks or not and that i didnt mind if he was timid because id be spending a lot of time with him to hopefully gain his trust. I have done heaps of research and i think i did a good job answering the questions but that i should have asked more. But i will follow up with an email just saying thank you for taking the time to chat with me and ask questions then.

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
Don't worry @Tonifrax I'm involved with charity work and the phone call and questions are to gauge your knowledge and experience. Most of the charities want to educate you as well so you understand the ins and outs of parrot keeping. If there are more things you would like to know about the bird then just be honest and say you didn't think about it at the time and send a email or tex with who ever your dealing with.

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
Don't worry @Tonifrax I'm involved with charity work and the phone call and questions are to gauge your knowledge and experience. Most of the charities want to educate you as well so you understand the ins and outs of parrot keeping. If there are more things you would like to know about the bird then just be honest and say you didn't think about it at the time and send a email or tex with who ever your dealing with.
Thanks that makes me feel a bit better ☺ ive definitely read up about things and i think i put that across well. Im just a nervous wreck of a person 😂😂

Michael Reynolds

Any interview can affect us as our natural instincts put us in a defensive mode and at our best behaviour not wanting to say something wrong. the interviewer should be able too relax you as after all if you are suited to take on one of there birds and care for it properly you are helping the charity.

Scott199

yes as above, i had to go through the same late last year, first a long phone call, basically to check i had the basic knowledge and had put some research into owning a bird, i didn't really have a lot of the answers but i knew the basics

next came a home visit, this was much more of a "social" call to chat and have a decent conversation, after that its just finding/waiting for the right bird based on what they believe you/your home is suitable for.

its all a process and they never expect perfection, just the willingness to learn.

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
She sent me an email later on at night to say she enjoyed chatting with me and hearing about my birds. I made a list of questions to ask her about the particular parrot i applied for so i emailed her back with those and to say it was nice talking to her. The phone interview was quite funny because there was a parrot in the background making amusing noises. She told me they would be starting to do home checks again but they would be different due to covid. I assume they just look for possible hazards and advise where necessary?

Scott199

She sent me an email later on at night to say she enjoyed chatting with me and hearing about my birds. I made a list of questions to ask her about the particular parrot i applied for so i emailed her back with those and to say it was nice talking to her. The phone interview was quite funny because there was a parrot in the background making amusing noises. She told me they would be starting to do home checks again but they would be different due to covid. I assume they just look for possible hazards and advise where necessary?
yes if its anything like ours its just make sure everything is safe for the birds and suitable, clean(ish) and no obvious dangers, for instance, i did hear on one person complaining as they failed the home check, the reason being, they had an open plan living room with a front and backdoor directly from that room, so the rescue asked if they could ad cage/fly door or something, which they declined to do.

The example above i can see from both sides but having two doors and direct flight to outside, i can see the rescues concerned, extreme case but even that wasn't a no just a "could you"

The fact you already have bird/s should mean this is all good.

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
Yes it's to check you have a safe environment to house a bird, check your the person you say you are and a general look around for dangers.

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
yes if its anything like ours its just make sure everything is safe for the birds and suitable, clean(ish) and no obvious dangers, for instance, i did hear on one person complaining as they failed the home check, the reason being, they had an open plan living room with a front and backdoor directly from that room, so the rescue asked if they could ad cage/fly door or something, which they declined to do.

The example above i can see from both sides but having two doors and direct flight to outside, i can see the rescues concerned, extreme case but even that wasn't a no just a "could you"

The fact you already have bird/s should mean this is all good.
Yeah hopefully. She did ask me about hazards but apart from a couple wires behind the tv theres never really anything lying about for my birds to chew at. Its general quite uncluttered. I think my main concern will be whether they are happy to rehome to someone who lives in a flat. She didnt sound too put off on the phone when i mentioned it. I am hoping to build an outdoor avairy at my parents house which isn't far away as they have a huge field to put it in and we chatted about that for a bit too. I emailed with her a bit today just so that i could ask questions that i forgot to ask at the time because of my nerves. She said the parrot has been neglected his/her whole life so is quite timid but has made a lot of progress given what hes been through. My birds were the same. I think the only handling they had was being grabbed out of the cage, instead of coming out on their own terms. They were terrified at first too but it just took patience. Its probably similar with a lot of parrots that end up in rescues.

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
Had another interview today with a different charity that only covers scotland. Need to disease test my birds before I can continue but the lady said she couldnt see any issues with my application or areas that caused concern so hopefully my parrotlets are healthy and disease free!

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
I am currently tearing apart my flat, cleaning it and double checking that it is as bird proof as possible. My parrotlets arent very destructive and dont really chew on anything so ive not really worried about certain things before and now i am. I have wooden shelves in my living room that I have painted. I put them up before I had any parrots. I have taken them down because Im worried that it might be pulled up during my home check. Am I being overly cautious?

Scott199

Yes I would say so aswell, We liturely did nothing, when I spoke to the home visit chap, I asked if I could leave my house how we live and anything he didn’t like we’d change, he was more than happy with that.

but then again thinking back, before we even had a home visit, I must admit I did rip out the bathroom and toilet cupboards and replaced with stainless steel ones, Oh and moved my living room around to hide sockets and cables.

Oh and painted my hall and landing and all woodwork and doorways, replaced the painted doors upstairs with natural wood.

so actually reading this back, I really have no room to talk.

yeah, I’m not the person to ask about “over the top” and to this day Bert hasn’t flown and is scared of the wood floor in the hallway so hasn’t left the living room:aplastao::biggrin:

Top Bottom