1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adoption Hopeful

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Latindancer, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Latindancer

Latindancer Regular Member

Hi everyone

What a fantastic forum and information resource this place is, I’m a little concerned that the more time I spend here researching, the more that parrot owning could become a serious addiction.

Sorry about my poor etiquette I should probably have come here first to introduce myself, but just so excited I waded into other forum pages with questions once I discovered the site I’m a total newbie with exotic birds and I’m n the process of adopting a Mealy Amazon, very excited and can’t wait for his arrival. I’m 51 and live on the Worcester/Birmingham border. Ive always loved birds and I currently share my home and garden with 12 exbatt hens from the BHWT, who are enjoying their retirement and two budgies called Frankie & Betty adopted from separate gumtree homes, but are now a bonded pair.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone

Cheers...Tracey

Heather2131, dianaT, cazimodo and 2 others like this.
  2. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum lovely to have you onboard :)
    I am an amazon addict so can understand why you have chosen a mealy.
    It does indeed become an addiction but remember this … you will realise like the rest of us we think we own them and actually whilst we are not looking they start to own us lol it becomes an obsession indeed and they are companions rather than pets with a very high degree of intelligence of a human child at the age of about 4 years of age.
    Lovely when people do their homework and learn before the birdie lands so to speak so you know the basics like parrot proofing your house removing Teflon, candles, certain house plants etc a lifetime commitment but oh so very very worth while.
    There are heaps of food diet and safety, entertainment, training and general knowledge threads to read all the way from how they moult their feathers to how their breathing system works you have a ot of late night reading available until your feathered friend arrives and then you will no doubt do as many of us have before … sit there staring in awe :)

TomsMum and Kendra like this.
  3. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

Lovely to hear from someone who actually wants the rescues like my bunch, I 'blame' this forum for my being owned by 6 parrots and 2 parakeets, it becomes hard to say no, but afraid I have reached that point.

My house is totally wrecked with the little devils, good reason for moving into a metal shed, but worth every nip, bite, scream, and "I do not eat THAT on a Monday/Thursday". All the best in your future parrot care, I wish you all the luck and laughter.

dianaT, cazimodo and TomsMum like this.
  4. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Tracey and :welcome: to the forum.

5. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

6. Oli Fry

Oli Fry Regular Member Registered

Mealies are my favorite species I think. Although I've never owned one (apparently their calls can carry a mile and my greys are noisy enough for me), those I have met have been wonderful gentle characters. Most of my parrots have been 'second hand' birds and every one was suffering from vitamin A deficiency, quickly remedied with a better diet including sweet potato, carrots, organic palm oil etc. That might be something to address if you Amazon has been on a seed diet. Best of luck.

Kendra, DizzyBlue and TomsMum like this.
  7. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

8. Latindancer

Latindancer Regular Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone

TomsMum likes this.
  9. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and Welcome, good luck with the addoption