Adjusting

Jazzy Bird

Hello everyone,

We have had the birds for almost five months now. Jasmine, the Cockatoo has been whistling much more over the last few weeks. She and my husband whistle back and forth together, which is adorable. It’s so weird how she responds differently to males.

Could her increase in vocalizations relate to the weather changing? Or could it just be that she is adjusting to her new surroundings? We live in mid western US and Spring is on the horizon.

Thanks,
Heather

its good to get an update thank you. your bird can become very loud but given better weather they can get more excited. we have another member from the USA that joined @Ottabeme recently, it will be nice that we have people from around the world

its good to get an update thank you. your bird can become very loud but given better weather they can get more excited. we have another member from the USA that joined @Ottabeme recently, it will be nice that we have people from around the world
She’s always loud at certain times of day. Of late, she just happens to be whistling MUCH more than when we first brought her here. And yes, it’s nice to connect with folks across the globe. 😊

He Is handsome! It looks like he’s a busy boy. Jasmine loves playing in a similar fashion - tearing everything up and making a fun little mess. Haha.

I’ve been wanting to find out more about how birds adjust from going to one home to another. My mom’s ex boyfriend and her had a tumultuous relationship that spanned almost three decades and involved pretty raw domestic violence. Jasmine and Gus are 22. She got Jasmine when she was about 6-8 years old and Gus was probably 10-11 When she got him. How would living in an environment where there is a lot of arguing etc going on, impact birds? I’m sure that over the years when tempers were lost for one reason or another, that the birds (especially Jazzy bc she can be loud) were yelled at/scolded.

As I understand it, some things that are helpful with dogs and kids, are for birds as well. For example, not yelling if bird is loud bc it provides attention, which may make them yell more. Thus if she’s being really wild and obnoxious, I don’t yell or respond much at all. In the past when visiting, I observed my mom getting frustrated and yelling at her, sometimes even getting closer to her to do it, which I also observed didnt make things any better. I admit that a handful of times I have raised my voice and told her to hush. Lol. Always from the other room. What I do 9/10 times is talk back to her in case she’s contact calling and talk to her when I leave room so she knows I’m still around. Sometimes, literally as soon as I leave the roomshe begins to scream.

And speaking of noises, Jasmine makes a cute noise and it sounds like she’s repeating the word “crap.” My mom swore up and down that “crap” was part of her vocab and now I know why. She made noise while at vet so I asked about it. The vet said it’s something that means she’s content etc., kinda like a cat purrs.

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Well I am positive that birds are very sensitive to our emotions and know that if I'm in a hurry she acts up and on the rare occasion that she hears us arguing she gets upset.
I think they also do react by shouting louder if they are in a noisy environment, and yes I'm pleased to say that Dora purrs!

That is a good question but much will depend on how the bird see's things. to a Too raising voices is a way of calling, the louder the further it can be herd. if things are not affecting them directly they may think its a game and get excited. it is very easy to think they understand all our emotions I think things as another human will, but in many cases they will look at things as a birds prospective. its not the arguments in the home that will affect them as long as they get fed and watered and not fill threatened.

Well I am positive that birds are very sensitive to our emotions and know that if I'm in a hurry she acts up and on the rare occasion that she hears us arguing she gets upset.
I think they also do react by shouting louder if they are in a noisy environment, and yes I'm pleased to say that Dora purrs!
Awww. I wish I could hear what she sounds like. I read somewhere if they live in loud household, they’re louder. She doesn’t tell all the time, mainly when she is tired and wants to be put night night and when she wants attention.

That is a good question but much will depend on how the bird see's things. to a Too raising voices is a way of calling, the louder the further it can be herd. if things are not affecting them directly they may think its a game and get excited. it is very easy to think they understand all our emotions I think things as another human will, but in many cases they will look at things as a birds prospective. its not the arguments in the home that will affect them as long as they get fed and watered and not fill threatened.
Ok that helps to know, thank you. I guess I just assumed that because it’s stressful to humans, it would be to birds as well.

She def does that. Sometimes it seems that all she wants is to go “night night” and be covered up but if it’s too early, I usually don’t. I’ve started half covering a couple hours before dusk and then covering when sun is going down.

Also, sometimes I half cover during day if it seems like she may want a mid day nap and if dogs are up on main floor of house. They can’t get into the bird room though.

She def does that. Sometimes it seems that all she wants is to go “night night” and be covered up but if it’s too early, I usually don’t. I’ve started half covering a couple hours before dusk and then covering when sun is going down.

That is quite late now? My two girls want their bedtime between 6.00 and 7pm which is a good while before sunset. Winter bedtime is slightly earlier. They are happy with 12-14 hours a night, have some toys, food and water with them. They don't nap much during the day interestingly.

Of late, with the longer days, I have been covering them around 6:30-7:30. I uncover around 8:00-9:00. Some days they take mid day naps even if uncovered. Typically they are free to be out of cages from 12:00 pm until I cover them, unless nobody is home. If the Conure goes and stays in his cage, I close it as I feel like him going in on his own tells me he may was the security of his cage. Sometimes I put the top in her cage long enough to grab a drink and eat, so she doesn’t get hangry. Sometime she’ll go in her cage on her own and have a snack and a drink, but other times she doesn’t.

One thing I’ve been wondering, is whether or not I should let them on each other’s cages. I have read things and heard from other people, that you should never force them to be close to each other, or put them in the same cage, because they may be aggressive towards each other. It doesn’t happen often, but sometimes, because their cages are next to each other, one will get on the others cage. Because I don’t want either of them to bite the other one, I put them back on their own cages and separate their cages a little more, so they can’t easily get to the other cage. I also do this because I don’t want the cockatoo soiling the Conures cage or the surrounding area. Sometimes when I clean the cages, I accidentally put them back too close together and that’s how they get to each other’s cages. For the first time the other day though, my husband said the cherry Conure flew over to the cockatoos cage, only about a foot away. One day the Conure was reaching over to the tailfeathers of the too, as if he wanted to groom her. I’m starting to wonder if maybe overtime they will bond. Anytime that they have gotten on each other’s cage, the bird whose cage it is, doesn’t respond as if bothered or anything. It’s like it’s normal to them. They never display any aggressive behavior towards each other. For example, if I am holding one and get close to the other one. I purposely don’t hold both of them at once, for obvious reasons. The sun Conure that we had was bonded with the too but he was the one who passed away about five months ago. The Cherry Conure and Cockatoo have been living together in the same household for about 12 years or so.

Something else I’ve noticed as I’ve gotten used to them, is that it seems like they like to take baths on the same day. Shortly after the first bird starts to bathe, usually the cherry head Conure, the cockatoo will follow suit. The Conure also seems to like to bathe every Sunday. It’s really weird, as if he knows it Sunday or something. The cockatoo doesn’t bathe as often. And she will only bathe out of her water dish in her cage. I have been able to get the Conure to bathe in a dish that I put on top of his cage. He loves it. Another thing that he does that’s really cute, is that if I put on a certain shirt, he gets really excited and comes over to me, because he knows it’s the shirt I wear when I let him take a ride on my shoulder for a little bit. He will start screeching, flap his wings and quickly get to the top of his cage door. I used to drape a blue and white towel across my shoulders when I held him and back then, he knew that meant I was going to hold him as well. Sometimes if he sees that blue and white towel present day, he still gets excited. LOL. But he definitely seems to know that if I let him step up and I don’t have the yellow and brown flannel shirt on, that he is only allowed on my wrist/hand.

Back
Top Bottom