A little worried!

AliceAndRosella

Registered
Hello guys! Ive had my rosella for a week and a half now, and I just wanted to speak about how I feel.

Ive been doing everything (I think) pretty much correctly. I know Rosellas can be a pretty hands off bird, but I worry that I'm not doing enough for him to be happy!
I have a big enough cage for him, he has pretty much all day out of his cage, and has a good diet and a bird bath. But I worry because hes very skittish and is still scared of me, and tonight hes sleeping ontop of my televsion because he didnt want to sleep in or on top of his cage.

I have been considering adopting a cockatiel as Ive had experience with those, and know they're much more better to handle, but I dont want to give up on Tango so easily. I feel like such a crappy owner for even thinking of giving him away due to having selfish thoughts, but i don't know if I'm doing right by him.
Would he not be happier in an aivary owned by someone else with lots of birds? I'd have an aivary myself but I own two puppy dogs and live in England, I dont think the weather or circumstances would be so suitable.

I tend to be very sensitive about a lot of things, so maybe Im getting upset over nothing. If I was absolutely sure he'd get along with a cockatiel I'd get one, but from what Ive read they can be aggressive. Is he really the bird for me and my circumstances? I feel so guilty.
I was actually going to get a cockatiel, I didnt intend on a Rosella. But the breeder said we have no more cockatiels left, how about a rosella? So I said sure! I didnt have any knowledge about the breed till a day later..
Am I a mean person? :c

AliceAndRosella

Registered
FYI: im not adopting Tango out, just wanted to talk about my worries. I love him a lot and want to provide the very best for him.

Reactions: Roz

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Most of us have gone through the am I a bad owner syndrome at some point
Think of it the other way around for a moment you love Tango and want the best for him that doesn't mean your bad. It has only been a few days. Friendships take a long time to forge trust can take a while to build up don't be giving up so quickly. So Tango is a rosella doesn't mean you can't form a bond and end up with a bird that trusts you and bucks the trend of what other people say about rosellas.
We had a wonderful lady on forum who also had a rosella called Scarf now that was an exceptional friendship because she worked hard to gain trust and worked hard at keeping it. I will try and track down some of her posts for you.
In the meantime I will tag Roz and you can start with the training sessions she set up on forum about positive reinforcements
@Roz

AliceAndRosella

Registered
Most of us have gone through the am I a bad owner syndrome at some point
Think of it the other way around for a moment you love Tango and want the best for him that doesn't mean your bad. It has only been a few days. Friendships take a long time to forge trust can take a while to build up don't be giving up so quickly. So Tango is a rosella doesn't mean you can't form a bond and end up with a bird that trusts you and bucks the trend of what other people say about rosellas.
We had a wonderful lady on forum who also had a rosella called Scarf now that was an exceptional friendship because she worked hard to gain trust and worked hard at keeping it. I will try and track down some of her posts for you.
In the meantime I will tag Roz and you can start with the training sessions she set up on forum about positive reinforcements
@Roz
Thank you, I love tango very much and I just want to do the best thing for him. He's a very sweet boy.

Reactions: Roz

Michael Reynolds

Do not think your bird dose not want you around, you have worked hard in getting his trust and although you will find him skittish I can assure you this is just there nature. Rosellas are not close cuddly birds either with humans or another rosella. My Peter mainly kept himself to himself sitting in a high place watching all what was going on. although he would take food from my hand this did not happen every day, the occasional time he will land on me was a bonus for me. it was not in them to show emotions but I noticed if he was worried he would come over to me, yes I did get him a partner and that changed the relationship. Now if i took him away from his partner and into another room, he will keep coming to me. He new I could get him back to his partner. It is from this reaction that allowed me to free fly Peter. trust and being happy is so hard to notice with the rosellas as they are like reading the hands of a poker player and do not show there thoughts. Did we have a bond, I will say yes as he showed his trust at times and that is what you will find, would i get another bird as a companion. not yet but in about a years time and then it should be a female eastern rosella. these birds are one of the wonders of the world

AliceAndRosella

Registered
Do not think your bird dose not want you around, you have worked hard in getting his trust and although you will find him skittish I can assure you this is just there nature. Rosellas are not close cuddly birds either with humans or another rosella. My Peter mainly kept himself to himself sitting in a high place watching all what was going on. although he would take food from my hand this did not happen every day, the occasional time he will land on me was a bonus for me. it was not in them to show emotions but I noticed if he was worried he would come over to me, yes I did get him a partner and that changed the relationship. Now if i took him away from his partner and into another room, he will keep coming to me. He new I could get him back to his partner. It is from this reaction that allowed me to free fly Peter. trust and being happy is so hard to notice with the rosellas as they are like reading the hands of a poker player and do not show there thoughts. Did we have a bond, I will say yes as he showed his trust at times and that is what you will find, would i get another bird as a companion. not yet but in about a years time and then it should be a female eastern rosella. these birds are one of the wonders of the world
Thank you! Just dont want him to constantly be in fear of being around me c: I care about him a lot, this is reassuring! He seems pretty content with me already i think! He ate out of my hand this morning and sat there for a bit, longer than he ever has!

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Whilst I know nothing about Rosellas I do know that a week and a half is no time at all to have built up a relationship with a bird. Patience, patience and even more patience is the key. I look forward to hearing more about Tango soon.

Roz

Elected Forum Trainer
I would agree that 1.5 weeks is no time at all to build a relationship and trust. Trust is built by consistently pairing your presence and your hands with good experiences for him.

From what you have said, you are indeed doing all the right things. 😊 You aren’t forcing him to do anything (aversive which erodes trust) and instead you are pairing yourself with food that he is willing to accept… ie eating out of your hand. What a great way to gain his trust! 🥳 Have you noticed what food he particularly loves? Remove those items from his food bowl and feed them from your hand.

I would keep working with him in this way to gain his trust and therefore friendship. There is no reason why you couldn’t eventually have a Cockatiel too. They would need separate cages though.

Right now I think, along with everyone else, that you are doing great! Keep a journal to write down all the progress you are making with him. Then when you get disheartened you can look back to see just how far he’s come.

AliceAndRosella

Registered
I would agree that 1.5 weeks is no time at all to build a relationship and trust. Trust is built by consistently pairing your presence and your hands with good experiences for him.

From what you have said, you are indeed doing all the right things. 😊 You aren’t forcing him to do anything (aversive which erodes trust) and instead you are pairing yourself with food that he is willing to accept… ie eating out of your hand. What a great way to gain his trust! 🥳 Have you noticed what food he particularly loves? Remove those items from his food bowl and feed them from your hand.

I would keep working with him in this way to gain his trust and therefore friendship. There is no reason why you couldn’t eventually have a Cockatiel too. They would need separate cages though.

Right now I think, along with everyone else, that you are doing great! Keep a journal to write down all the progress you are making with him. Then when you get disheartened you can look back to see just how far he’s come.
Thank you! I know you cant build trust in such a small time, I just did some research on the rosella and gotten worried and paranoid over all the negative stuff I have seen. Dont want him unhappy.

Roz

Elected Forum Trainer
Yes, there are species traits, but each bird is an individual. The more work you put in (gaining trust and positively reinforcing the behaviours you want to see) the more you’ll get out. 😊

Michael Reynolds

there will always be negative reports on the internet, the most common thing is to say these are aviary birds and not for the home. they used to say the same about ringnecks now look at them they are getting to be one of the most popular birds to keep. Time, patients and understanding can do wonders, they are characters that i have missed in my home.

AliceAndRosella

Registered
there will always be negative reports on the internet, the most common thing is to say these are aviary birds and not for the home. they used to say the same about ringnecks now look at them they are getting to be one of the most popular birds to keep. Time, patients and understanding can do wonders, they are characters that i have missed in my home.
Yeah! I'd miss tango too if he was gone, he's so loving and loud aha, lucky I have understanding neighbours. It annoyed me a little at how people were so mean about rosellas, I mean Im already making great progress with Tango, I guess people arent willing to put in that much effort!

AliceAndRosella

Registered
Yes, there are species traits, but each bird is an individual. The more work you put in (gaining trust and positively reinforcing the behaviours you want to see) the more you’ll get out. 😊
Thank you so much for your kind and honest words I really needed this. Its comforting to know that he'll be alright as long as I take good care of him!

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
This is a link to Scarf's beloved rosellas diary written by Garp the bird in question lol it was something a few of us used to do written in parrot perspective but it will give you some idea and a few laughs I hope about what Garp got up too.... Like the fear of human socks :eek:

AliceAndRosella

Registered
This is a link to Scarf's beloved rosellas diary written by Garp the bird in question lol it was something a few of us used to do written in parrot perspective but it will give you some idea and a few laughs I hope about what Garp got up too.... Like the fear of human socks :eek:

Aww thank you that is adorable, gonna have a look now! <3

Feathered Janique

Registered
If you love him and give him all he needs then he will be great!! Only if he is with you, you can assure that he will be happy. taming a bird takes a while, some longer than others, he may think of you as your best friend someday if you keep working with him, it's okay to ADD-ON to your flock! It seems your just wishing for more interaction, if that's what you're looking for then maybe you should get a conure, although I'm not sure if Rosella's generally get along with other birds, it's fine to get another bird as long as your giving them equal attention! Don't be afraid to get another bird if you know you can properly do it!

Top Bottom