1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Little Disappointed

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by LemonZaz, Nov 22, 2018.

1. LemonZaz

LemonZaz Regular Member Registered

well, my little one has settled in great, steps up (generally), preens us, explores, rides our heads a lot. I cant help but be sad though, that he much prefers my partner :( He calls for him, he lands on him, he lets him stroke him but i get bit at. He will only land on me if my partners not around. I can't help but feel a bit bummed about it.
    Sorry, just a moan!

also we finally decided 2 days ago to call him Kif, but ive since read its slang for marijuana

dianaT and sunnyring like this.
  2. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

cockatiels have big hearts and a more generous nature then other parrots. your little one will continue to grow in confidence and share his love with you too in time. ps figure out his favourite little treat and make sure its only you that has it !

plumsmum and LemonZaz like this.
  3. LennyS

LennyS Regular Member Registered

Our baby budgie only loves our daughter. He lands on her, plays games with her (amazing to watch, they play hide and seek, chasing games, fetch...) and seems to be starting to talk to her, very funny sounds:) The rest of us hardly get a look from him, even if he steps up happily, gives a kiss (once a day) and is always interested in any plate with food on it. He is still very young, we'll see how it goes. So far it seems that his relationship with our girl gets stronger every day and with the rest of us it is just the opposite.

4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

LemonZaz there is most likely a simple reason why a bird that is young has gone to your other half as tills will be inclined to go to the tallest person,

5. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Awwwww - I'm sorry, LemonZaz. It is a bummer, but you can still have your own special relationship with him by keeping on pairing yourself with good experiences for him and working with him when your partner isn't around. So as sunnyring suggested, you be the provider of his favourite treat. When your partner is out of the room use that treat to teach him tricks... eg. to target the end of a chopstick. Training like this opens up a whole new way of communicating between you. Plus you will be paired with the awesome time he is having.

LemonZaz and DizzyBlue like this.
  6. Roz

Roz Regular Member

?????

7. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member

Cockatiels are sociable birds and will go to anyone that will give them attention.

If you want him to bond with you and only you, then you will have to ban your partner from being in the same room as the bird until he fully bonds with you. I had a similar problem when I first got my Hahn's, she kept taking a liking to my wife, so we had to ban my wife from seeing Missy for a few weeks, until she fully bonded with me.

LemonZaz and JessCheekyMia like this.
  8. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

@LemonZaz errr and no murdering your other half and burying him under the patio is not a solution before you go that far :p
    Bribery and corruption with lovely treats is defo a good idea :)

LemonZaz likes this.
  9. LemonZaz

LemonZaz Regular Member Registered

Thanks for your suggestions everyone :)
    Strangely enough, ive not yet discovered a favourite treat! He eats millet in his mix but wont touch spray millet, fruit, veg, oatie biscuits....will have to have a mooch in my local birb shop
    I cant keep him from my partner either, as Kif is in the lounge. Our house is quite small and the only seperate room is the toilet! But he can do the nasty things like medicines and vet trips should it ever occur haha!
    I am a bit envious but at the same time it's lovely seeing them together. My partner seems quite attached! And i do get some time with Kif when my partner is at work and the kids are in bed. Just needed a bit of a moan!

On a great note, i was able to give him a head scritch for the first time yesterday! :D

He just plopped down into the washing up bowl whilst i was washing bottles, so is a soggy chicken right now lol!

Is it time for a nail trim? He keeps catching them on my clothes

20181102_105848.jpg 20181123_192040.jpg

Rain, sunnyring and dianaT like this.
  10. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

h is till very young a bit early for nail trimming.

11. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

He's beautiful but keep him out of the washing up bowl the soap isn't good for him or his feathers when he preens he will ingest the residue on his feathers. Plus the danger is that he decides to have a bath when its way too hot for him. pop him a nice shallow bowl for him to bath in on the draining board something like one of those square dishes like a pyrex or enamel gratin dishes something that is too heavy for him to accidentally tip up if he perches on the side of it … or indeed buy him his very own washing up bowl :) Don't like to be a party pooper but safety first lets head off any would be accidents :)

[​IMG]

RoyJess and sunnyring like this.
  12. RoyJess

RoyJess Regular Member

Those nails don't look long to me, tiels nails are always sharp, best to get him a sandy/pumice perch next to his food bowl to help keep those nails in trim. Some natural branches in the cage will also do wonders (make sure the branches are from bird safe trees)

As @DizzyBlue say's, don't allow your bird in the washing up bowl, washing up liquid and deep water are not safe for your bird, but do make sure your bird have access to a bird bath (or shallow dish of water) in his cadge for a few hours during the day.

13. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

Get a pollys orthorpedic sandwalk perch, I never trim my birds nails they just stay the perfect length and they take care of their own beaks too so highly recommend that perch!

14. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

I have had my 2 Senegals for a few years now and never had either's nails trimmed. Different size perches of different textures and the cheapest that also looks good is a good size branch from an apple tree or any other safe tree. Clean it with boiling water (be careful) then wipe with F10 and you will then have a natural looking perch in the cage, different diameters, bark can be chewed off and when your bird gets fed up with it simply put another one in and the best part is its totally FREE.

dianaT likes this.