4 month old African Grey

orangesplash

Registered
This is the first time i will be getting an african grey and i am really looking forward to it.

the breeder told me it looks like a Girl, but the DNA has not been done yet.

it is 4 months old and almost fully weaned.

it eats fruits, seeds and mix feed(the readily available ones!)

i am a first timer with an african grey.

10-15 days back, i lost yellow ring necks without any reason... many of my avian vet friends told me that they were perfectly healthy... and post mortem did not show any findings too.

it was sudden death due to no reason at all.

i need help with this parrot. can you experts please share your experience and resources with me so i can get knowledge on how to take care of my baby whose coming to me on Sunday!

i need help and guidance!

Lauraj

Registered
Hello!

I also got my first African Grey parrot in December 2019. My boy was DNA'd so 100% a little boy!
I got Bo at 5 and a half months old so a month and half older than your baby bird.

The members on here are very experienced as you know and have helped me loads with my grey. My lad is now 8 months and is a treasure, very hard work and demanding as he is very smart but rewarding.
Don't want to say too much what we have done with our boy because yours is a lot younger than our lad and don't want to give misleading info, im by no means an expert.

Just wanted to wish you luck, i followed your story with your IRN's silently but wish you all the best with your new bird 😊

Lauraj

Registered
Whee do you guys get African grey? I’ve been looking to get one but no luck
Hi! I live in West Yorkshire and got my boy from a place up here. It was a last minute trip to a parrot shop where we usually go for our first bird and the owner (is a grey breeder) was speaking with us and told us he had just advertised his baby birds which we decided to see and get one.
I had looked before browsing online and none felt right, but when we saw Bo in person and snapped him up 😊

Lauraj

Registered
Further to that, when i say parrot shop he does not sell parrots as such he just sells cages, many toys and food.

He has little birds in stock such as budgies etc but doesn't have big birds in the shop.
I know many people recommended signing up to a certain parrot magazine online which can give all information- the name escapes me. Sorry!

orangesplash

Registered
Hello!

I also got my first African Grey parrot in December 2019. My boy was DNA'd so 100% a little boy!
I got Bo at 5 and a half months old so a month and half older than your baby bird.

The members on here are very experienced as you know and have helped me loads with my grey. My lad is now 8 months and is a treasure, very hard work and demanding as he is very smart but rewarding.
Don't want to say too much what we have done with our boy because yours is a lot younger than our lad and don't want to give misleading info, im by no means an expert.

Just wanted to wish you luck, i followed your story with your IRN's silently but wish you all the best with your new bird 😊
thank you so much for the lovely message!
my goodness, you did follow the Indian red neck's story :(

please send me the videos you used for training your parrot and the resources you followed please. i would want to learn as much as i can before the baby arrives.

i will have the DNA done the moment she arrives and after she is well taken care of, i shall get the other gender too :) thats my plan and wish...

once again thank you so much for the beautiful message.
what do you feed your baby?

dianaT

Staff member
I think Parrot Society is your best bet, they are certainly worth joining. Where are you in the UK ?

Lauraj

Registered
thank you so much for the lovely message!
my goodness, you did follow the Indian red neck's story :(

please send me the videos you used for training your parrot and the resources you followed please. i would want to learn as much as i can before the baby arrives.

i will have the DNA done the moment she arrives and after she is well taken care of, i shall get the other gender too :) thats my plan and wish...

once again thank you so much for the beautiful message.
what do you feed your baby?
I currently feed my baby a mixture of a seeded blend with no sunflower seeds and no peanuts, alongside harrisons pellets (weighed out) and he has fresh fruit and veg daily. More fresh veg than fruit due to natural sugars.
My boy loves to play and forage and more often than not eats his pellets when they are in a foraging toy, found homemade is the way forward. A cardboard egg box washed out and shredded paper is the most successful toy yet! He has many of toys in his cage but anything he can get his beak into and destroy is his favourite.

I learnt as i went along with Bo and haven't watched many videos apart from watching bird tricks on YouTube and then finding that none of their techniques work with Bo, think this is trial and error. He is very food orientated so will learn quickly for a treat.
It has taken a good couple of months to build trust up with Bo to get him to the stage he is at now. He was hand reared so was used to stepping up onto an arm, at first he only did this with my boyfriend as he was raised by a man but he loves me also now. (Im the bad mum who trains and sprays him for a bath, he also uses me for a lift between his cage and his java stand by putting his foot up and telling me 'up', my boyfriend is his fun time who he can climb all over on an evening haha. He truly owns us haha)

Again everyone is different but i spent as much as my day as possible for a while sitting near him and talking to him then feeding him bits of fruit (strawberries bonded us as he loved them) then gradually asked him to step up etc. It was a work in progress but as of now he speaks to me, copies my laugh and allows me to touch his feet and wings amongst many other things.
He is very young and as many people have said greys change when they reach maturity so im expecting anything but for the most part he is a lovely bird, never bitten as we did a lot of bird body language research and observed him so we knew when we pushed the limit or if he was uncomfortable. I feel this is important to look into so you have an idea of when the bird is scared or excited etc.

Mainly the members on here have been wonderful assisting with keeping his mind entertained with toy ideas and training tips.
Bo is out of his cage any time we are home, he has learnt if he is in the cage he needs to be in there for some reason or another, the birds are very intelligent.

Do you plan on breeding or keeping both as separate pets? I have no idea on the breeding front.

Michael Reynolds

Diana Orangesplash is in Pakistan, ok lets think what may of gone wrong. there is a good section on making your home safe that includes sprays, non stick pans chemicals and cleaners that must not be used around birds it will be well worth reading and if you have questions on any thing we are here to guide you, congratulations on getting your greyIMG_0771.JPG

orangesplash

Registered
Diana Orangesplash is in Pakistan, ok lets think what may of gone wrong. there is a good section on making your home safe that includes sprays, non stick pans chemicals and cleaners that must not be used around birds it will be well worth reading and if you have questions on any thing we are here to guide you, congratulations on getting your greyView attachment 29268
Thank you so much sir! I’m so happy to be here

Lauraj

Registered
I no longer use candles or the open fire in the living room where the birds are due to the smoke and fumes.

I may be over the top and it may not be necessary but the bird toys etc are cleaned thoroughly once a week when they are rotated and then kept in a clean storage box, also the birds food fruit and veg are kept in F10 clean tubs, they also have their own part of the fridge (one of the drawers) to store stuff needed in the fridge and i use a separate knife, grater, board etc to prep their food. Just to make sure they don't come into contact with something they can't have.

We also no longer have avocados in the house anymore due to how toxic they are, made many changes!

Top Bottom