31st October 2019 - Happy Halloween or Samhain

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
:spider:
Morning all and Happy Samhain
Yup another sleepless night of reading!
Think I rather like the Samhain Celtic description of what became Hallows Even / Hallows Eve / Hallowe'en the Celtics had it more of an agricultural thing when everything went to sleep for the winter after the summer of life. Ok so the Druids took it a step further and then decided large bonfires to ward off evil spirits and huge bonfires built in the centre of villages and each fire place in the village was relit with embers of the bonfire that was used to ward off the evil spirits. Not really into the trick or treat thing that goes on. As a kid did so love the apple bobbing though :)
One thing I do like … that pumpkin and the squash will be being sold off cheaper at the supermarkets which means lots to go in the freezer for my flock :)
If anybody is interested you can scrape the seeds out of the centre was them in a sieve and lay them out to dry off on a kitchen towel they can be added to dry feeds that way but you have to ensure that they are properly dried to stop any mould growing etc. Mind you my lot do love them fresh hmmm totally yummy apparently! Got some right nice nutritional things going on in them https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3066/2# as always though too much of a good thing can be as bad as too little. Pumpkin flesh also rather scrummy yummy even cooked its high in the Vit A department :) https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2601/2 (raw data https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2600/2) So if your going shopping … and you see a pumpkin at a marked down price might just be worth you grabbing it while you can :)
Out the door shortly for first parental duty of the day
Still got a neck like a rusty gate
And you'll all be happy to know the @ tagging system is now installed and you will get emails again now when people tag you :)
Have a great day all :)

cazimodo

Morning everyone. Frosty again this morning, although I believe it will rain tomorrow. I've been mad busy at work and it looks set to continue to end of the year so I may only pop in from time to time for a while. Hope you are all doing well.

I love this time of year and I too think the Celts had the right ideas around Samhain. The dying of the year just before the slide into the darkness of Winter. I was initiated into a coven once. I liked the rituals based around the natural ebb and flow of the seasons. I was friends with a practicing druid too at one point. He was the strangest person I have ever met. He had this odd thing going on where his dreams bled into his reality to the extent that he often couldn't tell the difference, and caused him to end up in all sorts of pickles. He once came to in a field with rough looking men digging a hole right next to where he lay. It turned out he was lying next to a buried IRA arms cache and as he discovered, he wasn't dreaming at that point. It took some really smooth talking to get himself out of that one! I Iove people like that, total oddballs 😂

We're off to the vet again today for a checkup for Countess Pluckula. Not sure if the vet can do any more now that her breathing seems to be better, but she's still plucking like a crazy bird and nothing we do makes any difference. She's also a total grump this morning, dashing up my arm to bite me in the face twice when I had them out, so getting her into the travel cage later is going to be fun!

@DizzyBlue , I pulled a neck muscle some time ago and it was so bad I couldn't move my head at all. Grant got me that Deep Relief ointment and it was brilliant. It contains ibuprofen and it really does the trick.

Have a lovely day everyone.

Michael Reynolds

Good morning cazimodo and Dizzyblue plus all that follow, nice but crisp morning in Kent. birds are all getting excited but not being in to Halloween I wont be trick and treating them today, they will get a few treats though. I have not decided what I will be doing today, I may take Poppy in to town as she has not been out with me for a while as she was on eggs. I hope your neck improves Tasha, good luck at the vets cazimodo and I hope you all have a lovely day.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
@cazimodo I had a friend who was Wican (known as a white witch) I scoffed for a while and then found out that she used a lot of herbal medicines and knew a heck of a lot regarding plants and herbs ,,,
After that it prompted me to do a lot of reading up myself. Think "old fashioned healer" would have been more appropriate title for her :) taught me heaps about poultice applications for horses legs, how to stop white scar fur growing, particular herbs that kept annoying flies at bay, how to stop an major blood flow when out in the middle of nowhere without access to a first aid kit using things I could find in the hedge row readily, everything from witch hazel through to camomile, wild bird splints through to the use of leaches (they freaked me out though) Sometimes some of the old remedies are actually now being recognised as a proper remedy and step us away for too many chemicals. I still prefer to go to a vet but sometimes in an emergency somethings your better off knowing just to buy you some time to get to one.

cazimodo

@cazimodo I had a friend who was Wican (known as a white witch) I scoffed for a while and then found out that she used a lot of herbal medicines and knew a heck of a lot regarding plants and herbs ,,,
We used to call those who used healing magic hedge witches. I always liked that term. It conjures up someone scrabbling away in the brambles finding choice herbs and roots to me 😀

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning folks, a lot to be said for herbal healing plus natural products too like honey.
Waiting for Tesco delivery to come, then I plan to clean out old gold fish, a heavy job for me on my own but hubby off shortly to hospital.
Hope you all have a nice day, a cold and wet one here.

JackAndRob

Good afternoon all,

Chilly here in Worcs today. Still dry though, which will hopefully allow the levels on the Severn time to drop. I am not affected by this, but a few are, judging by local news reports.

Spent a pointless morning in the office, but I am now home. Birdies were already settled for their afternoon nap, so I didn't disturb them.

Back to work (for a bit).

Kendra

Good day everyone, fine and sunny here. Nothing happening and so quite, worse than blooming Scotland at least I had good views there. Dusky shouting he want out, he can wait a while as he will be out until he gets his nighty nuts, around 8.00pm, wonder how many bites he will get in today, back to normal isn't he?

Top Bottom