27th sep

Yellowchickenparrot

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Errrr it's really hit us this morning, Asda shop has 44 items un available 12 items substituted which we don't want because they are nothing like what we were after and non of us eat it and 6 short dates which we don't want as we couldn't possibly eat it all by tonight, this was on a 159 item shop. We have had an email saying our electricity provider has gone bust, the heating oil we ordered two weeks ago is not coming and our oil does our hot water to. There is no diesel anywhere down here now and the mini bus company have posted they are not running the remote school bus service for the kids who live in very remote areas due to no diesel. My wife is on medication that literally helps her live and we have been told they are trying to resolve supply issues, anathetic has just become on back order and dental practices are struggling to get it which is scary. The milkman left a note this morning saying supply issues so we have one bottle of milk instead of four no rolls for packups and no bread. I'm going to have to start working my way through all these problems 🙁 gosh what a morning!

Beaky

Ho my goodness, that sounds awful my friend, i have heard of some related hardships but not at this level, i do hope you are able to resolve at least the most critical issues particularly those involving your poor wife.. Good luck

Yellowchickenparrot

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I can't believe what a lovely care free day I had with my family yesterday and today feels like I'm on another planet. O well better start trying to sort everything, I luckily ordered 1200L of heating oil last time even though my wife only wanted 500 as it was very expensive but I could forsee something like this happening so lucky we should be ok if we are careful. We have all our Xmas presents for the kids so hopefully we will avoid any problems with that, I get mad when wifey starts buying Xmas stuff in May but the last couple of years it's really paid off. However I can't go to America and quickly pick up some refrigeratirated drugs that literally keep my wife alive ☹ the stress and hardship she goes through being terribly sick is enough, she doesn't need to worry if she's going to get her medication. The world has become a strange place at the moment

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning

Goodness me what a to do down in Cornwall, you may find things you need at more local small shops for now. I had thought to order heating oil last week but didn't as we have over half a tank still. We can only hope all these issues are soon resolved especially medication

Granddaughter, boyfriend and his dog arrived last night, they will move on to the Airb&b in Cardigan later today, they also brought Gromit back down for the week to stay here with us (daughters Springer) he loves it down here with his 2 cousins Max & Arthur!

A very very wet day here and forecast all week so no idea when the young chap will be back to mow the grass.

Terry556

Good morning all Cloudy here in Pembroke Dock, will be heading back to work once I drop off Kathy at work around 1pm. The problem with the shortage of drivers is that the haulage companies don’t pay well, like the likes of Tesco, Morrison’s and Sainsbury’s, and the younger generation don’t want to work as they are better off on benefits, and where I live there are not that many jobs around only hospitality or carers we need some investment in Pembrokeshire like Cardiff and the big cities. When I was made redundant I could not get a job locally and I was offered jobs all in the London area, which I accepted and I was lucky as the wages in London are really good, but I have to pay for my own lodgings but at least I enjoy my work and I get to come home every 2 weeks

Yellowchickenparrot

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I have to disagree with you there about the younger generation not wanting to work, I FULLY AGREE there are people milking the system, people who are better off if your able to claim and qualify for benefits. However the younger generation have been priced out of realistically achieving home ownership unless you can live for free for five years while you try to save. I spoke to a crying fun park ride operator as I was checking she was ok she said she was just having a bad day and everything was grinding her down. Her bus costs her £11 a day she doesn't drive and lives in the sticks where there is no shop so she buys a roll and cola everyday that costs £4 then she earns minimum wage £6.56ph because she's 19....then she gets taxed and goes home with under £40. She was saving for a car, tax and insurance to go to university in two years but she's only saving £30 a week after rent and food. Can you see why the younger generation are like FU*CK this, I think people have more respect for themselves now physically and mentally, yes yes there are the lazy sods who are generally lazy but there are people trying out there but getting nowhere. I always approach people with an open mind young and old as you can't see what goes on behind closed doors.

dianaT

Staff member
Fair point.. A family members works for the DWP and does come across many locally who are more than happy to exist on benefits then there also those desperate to find work, some are considered 'over qualified' for whichever job and although they would snap it up given the chance some are told by those future employers they are over qualified! it is very disheartening. You cannot win.

Yellowchickenparrot

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Where I race my RC car on a Wednesday night is where the food bank is, I see people who are clearly drug abusers using the food bank because they have spent all there money on drugs 🤣 but I see loads of nurses using the food bank and they all wear long coats or hats to try and cover up who they are out of shame. Should this really be happening to working people?

Beaky

One of my g/daus who is 21 is doing her masters at Lincoln Uni, to help with her costs she is working, doing sixteen hours a week stacking shelves at a supermarket bless her, some of her fellow students thinks its below them to do that I guess there are some with a bad attitude but generally I think most young people have a good attitude, My advice to young, get any work they can and work hard and take whatever opportunities come along, when i was was interviewing young I would always favour those who are have taken odd jobs over those who didn't bother, its that initiative that I was looking for. I do however acknowledge how dispiriting and discouraging it must be for young people in this current environment..

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

I've seen the benefits and employment situation from several sides, had to claim housing benefit for a while when l couldn't work due to injury, lived opposite a benefits fraud who could walk to the village shop quicker than me, interviewed people who may have been qualified but needed experience to do the job, and given a job to someone who had such potential we supported them to train for the profession.
I was lucky to start my working life in 1973 when jobs were easy to find, but I feel that young people now are up against a lot of obstacles in trying to find work that allows them to be independent. (I think I would advise the girl to buy a loaf of bread and make her own sandwiches though)!
Cool and breezy with rain later but a productive domestic morning sweeping up after Dora every now and then.😀

Lauraj

Good afternoon all,

Spent the last hour on hold to E-On to have a chat about another fixed contract and moving house!
They’ve put the phone down twice this morning after a long wait but they are so busy right now!
I can’t believe how crazy things seem to have gone.

I managed to get some diesel yesterday, only went because i had the fuel light on and working all week. I felt horrible in the queue, the man who pointed out which pump to go to laughed at me when i explained i am on the light and need diesel for work, he told me not to worry but i felt so bad!
Dad and mum haven’ put any in their car, they have enough to last a little while but ive told them if they need to go in the car take mine!

Luckily we are in walking distance to most shops so the car is going to remain parked as much as it can!

Seems as though everything is on a hold up, the solicitors for the new house haven’t been in touch with search enquiries (i know that’s not important in the grand scheme of things).
Going to continue listening to the music from E-On hold and watch Bo dance and make more of a mess than he has done!😂
Lad accepted a bath this morning and is still fluffing up to dry himself off. I love him to pieces!

@Yellowchickenparrot, i am keeping everything crossed for you and the medication that your family need 🙁

Stay safe everybody!

CCC1C440-0CBB-401A-AC4E-49D07C099310.jpeg

Michael Reynolds

Good morning all, very wet here as well. in most cases the shortages are made by people being selfish, and that will have a knock on affect all around. the shortage of truck drivers may of caused some goods to be delayed in delivery but we have had this problem since Covid, then Brexit made things more difficult for EU members to stay and travel, This alone has caused a shortage of staff in many areas. Farms could not get the pickers to pick our produce, cost of food goes up and supplies are less, this ends up with panic buying that makes the situation worse, just think of the shortage of toilet rolls and bread and how many people over stocked and how much food was wasted. its all happening again Stupid people blocking roads up by queuing up outside petrol stations quite often causing traffic jams stopping or slowing down lorries that delays deliveries more, the mentality of some people dose get on my pip, how many times do you see drivers give way to lorries, and allowing them to pull out of a side road especially on to a busy road. all they want to do is get past them. instead of allowing extra time in there journey so they do not have to rush. A lorry drivers job is not easy, if it was we would not have a shortage of drivers. We often hear of complaints about other drivers but considering the amount of lorries that are on the road there driving skills are to be admired. My adopted Son was taught to drive tankers when he was leaving the army and he is one of the many that deliver petrol on the roads today. Ok lets look at what some people are doing, they are filling the cars up full with petrol or diesel, this increases the weight of the car and makes the car less efficient, some idiots are filling up what cans they have on top, no wonder others can not get the fuel they need. there may be a delay in deliveries but this would not have the affect of no garages being open and stocked, it may mean one or two garages may run out at times but others will be open. now the situation is that most garages do not have fuel. in fact I do not think any have opened today in my area. prices are rising daily now as people are willing to pay more for fuel and being one of the most expensive fuel cost countries, this will have a negative outcome in the cost of living for us all. I have worked out I need £30 pounds of petrol and a full tank of LPG to get me to my appointments and that includes hospitals over the next two weeks, if i do manage to get fuel then that's all i will put in my tank. Medical supplies i hope will not be too badly affected. More companies are paying for training these days and its not so much the wages that is the problem its the pressure of the job of driving a large vehicle that is always under pressure to meet timed deliveries and rules. being responsible for the safe and secure delivery of goods. keeping and checking the paperwork is all in order, being responsible for the condition of the vehicle and trailer you have, just how many of you know that an HGV in Scotland is restricted to a maximum of 40 mph in all roads apart from motorways. not to mention the times they may have to start or finish. So lets look at the food bank situation and why they are needed these days, If you think that Living from the government is easy than getting a Job and living, then we must look at the wages jobs offer and the contracts they put workers on. I myself was on a four hour contract with the Odeon, that was fine most of the time as I earned a good living but when the companies changed hands, they went by the contract employing younger cheaper staff and more of them, slowly cutting back my hours, it got to a stage that I could no longer afford to stay in employment with them and my wages dropped down to less than £400 in a month. It was not enough to pay my rent not alone pay for food, The doll was my only option and i had to live off food banks for two months. I tried hard to get another Job but at the age of 64 no one wanted to employ me. i finally got a part time employment but by the time i paid for transport and the forty per cent of the wage I had earned being taken off the benefit i was worse off, during this time I still have to do what I was asked to do by the job centre, Sanctions are not an option as being stopped monies for not doing what they demanded means you have no monies at all for the month not even the rent monies, this happened to me twice even though i was then off sick owing to Cancer. I never got any support or extra finance for going to and throw from the hospital and was clearly unable to work, I did apply for other benefits to help me but was refused and still had to give fit notes from my doctor each month. although off sick they expected me to go to the account and reply to what they demanded even two days before I was officially retired. now I can say I am in a far better financial position , but I just hope none of the members have to find them selves in the position I was in, Being reliant on the government is not only embarrassing but its so degrading and hard. yes there are people who will take advantage but they are far the minority, I fill sorry for the people reliant of illegal drugs but who am I to judge them and how they ended up in this situation, they normally go this way to escape the pressure of life. these last few years have been the worst I have ever had just glad it all over. I am so pleased that I have a lot of friends including members that helped out through these times being sent toys and even feed for the flock and even special treats through the post at Christmas @dianaT it made me cry with happiness and I can never forget your kindness. the welsh cakes and biscuits could not of come at a more needing time, a big thank you. just wish i can enjoy them now but I am slowly getting there. stay safe every one

Michael Reynolds

By the way food banks are not what many think, you are given food to last if careful for up to three weeks and you cannot chose what you want. most of the food is close to sell buy date, and also food you would not normally eat or like, but if you are desperate you will eat anything given. Its just to get you by the hardship and Run voluntary with support of local people and the church. I will always drop something in the boxes to help others in need, I was lucky as I kept a roof over my head unlike many whom have not been able to cope and have lost there homes. I fill so sorry for the people with mental health that have found themselves on the bread line or homeless, as it is not something they choose to be. the Job seekers allowance and sanctions and COV|ID are responsible for a lot of what is happening, so many lost there jobs in the entertainment side with restaurants and entertainment centres closed, You see and hear of what the government want to say but I know just how hard it is for many that have found what used to be classed as a secure employment being let down and finding them also needing government support. I can tell you of a young lad who came into my shop and asked me if i could employ him, at the time he had no home to live in as being adopted and then reaching the age that the family was no longer being paid to care for him was chucked out with no help. I took him on and allowed him to sleep in my shop for a few days while i found a place I could rent. he later with my support and got a council place. he was the most reliable employee i ever took on. He now works as a driver and is doing fine, most of the people that are on the streets or out of work just need a break and support to get them back on their feet again. I just had a message from my landlord he said "he can get hold of coloured diesel so I replied I will not drive the van if you put coloured diesel in it. he replied good man i was just testing, we have coloured desal on the farm for use of the tractor but its not worth breaking the law and using it. Must admit I am annoyed at the suggestion. just wonder how many will try.

Top Bottom