1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24 Hr Internal Pip No External

Discussion in 'Breeding And Babies' started by abu, Jan 12, 2018.

1. abu

abu Regular Member Registered

my egg piped approx 5pm yesterday internally it is now 5pm a full 24hr have gone by i can see the chick moving and can hear the beak scraping the eggs but i heard this at approx 8am today and it has yet to pip externally, i am concerned should i make a small hole in the shell or should i leave the egg alone ? how long should i wait before assisting?

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

3. abu

thank you just concerned i dont want to do more harm than good by opening abit of the shell

dianaT likes this.
  4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I am sure someone else will respond before too long.

5. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

leave well alone. if you are artifcally incubating you can offer the chick encouragement by whistling to him-keep incubator shut or you will mess up humidity. if parent birds doing job step away & leave alone. if the chick is strong and healthy he will get out on his own. more healthy chicks are killed by being helped then weak chicks saved

6. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

if its too weak to get out of egg on own will likely die anyway. and its too easy to kill/disable a healthy chick by interferring. some of my chicken/duck egg show signs of inner pipping a full 2 days before hatching . at this point the membranes lining the whole egg are still full of blood== if you crack it then the chick can bleed to death as its umbilical is still connected to those membranes

Michael Reynolds and TomsMum like this.
  7. Parrot797

Parrot797 Regular Member

After internal pip it is 24 hours on average before the external pip,then 24 hours before the next 2 pips and then 24 hours and the chick should hatch.By any outside help/assistance then it is likely you would have to hand rear the chick.

Michael Reynolds and TomsMum like this.
  8. abu

the egg was given to me by the breeder and has been artificially incubated from day 1 so it will be handreared from day1, if say no external pip by 8am tomorrow should i make a ponhole in the shell? the egg has been incubated at 37.3 temp hand 52% humidity currently the temp is 36.9 and humidity is 75%

9. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

I favour no assistance usually but its your judgement call, extreme caution is the way- one v small hole - any blood stop immediately. make sure there is some soft cloth on floor of incubator- it is vital the chick does not hatch on a slick floor that could splay the legs. as I say I favour do not help but I do understand it is hard not to.
    ps sterilise the needle you use to pierce the egg (boil it in water)

10. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

ps I am serious about whistling at it- they definately try harder when they know someone is waiting for them.

11. abu

thank you i keep checking up on the eggs as its not piped iv read to check every 2/3hrs chick seems strong still chips everytime i speak and moving around i can see the beak and egg tooth via candling but the egg tooth isnt touching the egg shell looks like lower break is, also there is 1 vein which has gone really dark almost black ? decided to leave the egg alone and if not joy by 6am i will make a small pin hole

12. Parrot797

Parrot797 Regular Member

Is the incubator still air or forced air?also is the temperature correct?

13. abu

forced air its a brinsea maxi 2 ex model, and i believe it to be so yes iv had great success hatchin 24/27 cockatiel eggs , with them they would pip say midnight and by the time i was home 6pm chick was out this is all new to me

14. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

bigger the egg slower the action is my experience although I only incubate poultry artifically. have hatched a size range from tiny chinese quail to geese and have found larger = slower.
    Parrot797 is the expert on doing parrots. I stick to easier hatches

what is the species of the egg?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  15. abu

these eggs are no bigger than a cockatiel egg they are green cheek conures but ur advise dpes work when talking or wistleing yhe chick is vocal back

sunnyring likes this.
  16. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

For cockatiels its a temperature from day one brooding needs to be 99.5F (37.5C)
    day one to day 18 between 40 to 50 percent humidity there after 65 to 75 percent humidity.
    I've reared from hatch day for cockatiels be prepared to have ZERO sleep for the first two weeks. How many are you rearing?
    I had an incubator with an adaptor so I could take it to work with me plugged in to the car to keep the temperature. Reared two on a construction site :copas: crazy!

Exotic Pet Vet have good information should anybody else require it. http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/incubation2.html

Can't wait to see the little poppet :aplastao: hope you will put a piccie up but only when its safe to do so, birdie safety first and we can wait :)

abu and sunnyring like this.
  17. abu

yes iv handreared from day 1 before i usually use a syringe and a plastic catheter tip which is a small bendy needle shape cut down to 1 1/2 inch after the 2-3 feeds i use a bent spoon prefer this method even tho it is messier, iv also got the 12v car cable im fully prepared but just worried atm , as for brooding temp iv been using 35.5 from day 1- day 5 with 45% humidity through out and then day 5-10 ill drop temp to 33 and after day 14 or some fluff and feathers ill wing it

sunnyring likes this.
  18. abu

just am update guys i hatched the chick myself this morning all the yolk had been absorbed and the chick had pooped inside the egg iv cleaned him/her up going to give 1st feed of electrolytes and play by ear

sunnyring likes this.
  19. abu

forgot to add the back of hs or her neck appears extremeley swollen?

20. abu

not the best pic but hes extremeley tired/weak
    20180113_095427.jpg

sunnyring likes this.