1st Chook Chat

Steve Ducks

Banned
Thats my first 3 which I got in March. Queeny, Polly and Tippy left to right. I have 3 younger ones which arent so tame yet. And 9 massive ducks :) theyre a lot easier to keep than parrots and make good pets. And NO food EVER gets wasted!

Zoe220615

Thats my first 3 which I got in March. Queeny, Polly and Tippy left to right. I have 3 younger ones which arent so tame yet. And 9 massive ducks :) theyre a lot easier to keep than parrots and make good pets. And NO food EVER gets wasted!
We did think about chicken or two before i was worried about foxes

Zoe220615

@Zoe220615 look at the photos of some of these chooks :)
I was just looking didnt realise chickens actually wanted to sit and have a cuddle. Macy crawled into a chicken coop when she was smaller when we took them to visit a petting farm the chickens looked pleased to have her as i was at the little entrance trying to persuade her she werent a chicken an we wanted her to come out it was a fun day lol

Steve Ducks

Banned
I had booked for 3 rescue hens before lockdown (British Hen Trust) . This fell through. @Zoe220615 you would want to get at least 2-3. They are flock animals. Most of the fun of chickens is watching them interact, the politics, the pecking order..... If you need any advice pop me a pm.

Steve Ducks

Banned
No. Thankfully I trained it out of her, but she is still the friendliest and still gets on my shoulder once or trice a day. She likes to sleep against my neck. They are VERY easy to train as they are food driven. I’ve taught two of them to sit on command and Polly will also Step Up! She escaped into my neighbours garden last week and they couldnt catch her. So I went round, called to her Step up and she came running up and jumped straight onto my lowered arm! They are all different, they all have different personalities, much like parrots.

Zoe220615

No. Thankfully I trained it out of her, but she is still the friendliest and still gets on my shoulder once or trice a day. She likes to sleep against my neck. They are VERY easy to train as they are food driven. I’ve taught two of them to sit on command and Polly will also Step Up! She escaped into my neighbours garden last week and they couldnt catch her. So I went round, called to her Step up and she came running up and jumped straight onto my lowered arm! They are all different, they all have different personalities, much like parrots.
An escaped chicken thats quite funny lucky really if dogs or anything was about

Steve Ducks

Banned
She took advantage of a step ladder which has since been moved. My neighbour lets my ducks mow his lawn. They are quite safe:) she was instantly missed:)

We've had hens for about 10 years or so now. We started out with 3 gold top pullets (Tikka, Bhuna and Popcorn) from a local farm, and added rescues from there. Our oldest one, Korma, lasted to 8 years old. We found her mid-dust bath in the afternoon sun one day, at least she went out doing one of her favourite things! The oldest one now is about 6.

We house them in a large walk in dog kennel with an enclosed outdoor run. In the daytime we let them out into an open air enclosure until bedtime.

We feed ours layers pellets, prepared fruit and veg in their foraging, and stuff like porridge and scrambled egg. Bear in mind that it is illegal to feed kitchen scraps to your hens, so they can't be used as little walking composters, as much as they'd love to be :biggrin:

Zoe220615

We've had hens for about 10 years or so now. We started out with 3 gold top pullets (Tikka, Bhuna and Popcorn) from a local farm, and added rescues from there. Our oldest one, Korma, lasted to 8 years old. We found her mid-dust bath in the afternoon sun one day, at least she went out doing one of her favourite things! The oldest one now is about 6.

We house them in a large walk in dog kennel with an enclosed outdoor run. In the daytime we let them out into an open air enclosure until bedtime.

We feed ours layers pellets, prepared fruit and veg in their foraging, and stuff like porridge and scrambled egg. Bear in mind that it is illegal to feed kitchen scraps to your hens, so they can't be used as little walking composters, as much as they'd love to be :biggrin:
Not that i would but can i ask why you cant feed them scraps by this i dont mean you would feed them your left over mc donalds or anything an obviously scraps would be bad for them but who made the rule an why?

@Zoe220615 It's something to do with contaminants from within a domestic kitchen. I only read up on it a bit because we weren't planning on it anyway, but controlled studies have apparently shown than hens fed leftovers/scraps had a higher % result of salmonella. I think it would perhaps relate to eg... some stew that someone left to go cold and then gave to the hens, as its had chance to grow bacteria. If you're preparing fresh veg for a meal, and you give the washed off-cuts to the hens, that's ok, as it's fresh food properly prepared.

Zoe220615

@Zoe220615 It's something to do with contaminants from within a domestic kitchen. I only read up on it a bit because we weren't planning on it anyway, but controlled studies have apparently shown than hens fed leftovers/scraps had a higher % result of salmonella. I think it would perhaps relate to eg... some stew that someone left to go cold and then gave to the hens, as its had chance to grow bacteria. If you're preparing fresh veg for a meal, and you give the washed off-cuts to the hens, that's ok, as it's fresh food properly prepared.
Ahhh ok then had to ask it seemed such a random law to have but it makes sense now. Learn something new everyday. Thankyou

Top Bottom